WHAT DOES MEHER BABA PROFESSES?
Meher Baba does not advocate any rites or rituals unless it is done with pure heart and all sincerity. Baba said “I belong to no religion but all religions belong to me”.. Following a Master does not mean giving up your religion. You should renounce the mind! Anyone of any following should continue his/her faith in religion or guru. This makes no difference to Meher Baba as He is associated with each and every soul and all their devotion and love for their gurus indirectly reaches to Him only. To love Baba is to love all; to love all is not to love Baba. If you are serving Avatar or a living Sadguru, you are serving the whole mankind.
Love is one which Meher Baba professed in this Avatarhood. Meher Baba preached love for God, love for human beings and remembrance of His name as far as one can.
Meher Baba said: “God is to be loved not feared. To have one eye glued on the delightful pleasures of the flesh and also expect to see a spark of eternal bliss with the other is not only impossible but the height of hypocrisy”.
Meher Baba said “Try to love God by loving those whom you cannot love. Real happiness lies in making others happy. Try to remember Me constantly. Come all unto Me. Be resigned to my will and hold fast to My Daman
Baba defined 8 ways of loving God
- To love god in most practical way is to love our fellow beings, if we feel for others in the same way as we feel for our own dear ones, we love God.
- If, we instead of seeing fault in others, we look within ourselves, we are loving God.
- If, we instead f robbing others to help ourselves, we rob ourselves to help others, we are loving God.
- If, we suffer in the suffering of others and feel happy in the happiness of others, we are loving God.
- If, instead of worrying over our own misfortunes, we think of ourselves more fortunate than many, many others, we are loving God.
- If we endure our lot with patience and contentment, accepting it as His Will, we are loving God.
- If we understand and feel that the greatest act of devotion and worship to god is not to hurt or harm, ant of His being, we are loving God.
- To love God as He ought to be loved, we must live for God and die for God, knowing that the goal of life is to Love God, and find Him as our own Self. –Meher Baba
For spiritual aspirant Baba advised:
|If possible, observe celibacy. If already married, keep as little sexual intercourse with your partner as possible. Consider, if you are a man, all other women as your sisters; if you are a woman, all other men as your brothers.|
|Avoid all animal food, except milk and the products of milk. Don't partake of even eggs.
Avoid all intoxicating drugs and drinks. Tea is not an intoxicant, provided it is weak. But be moderate in your habit of tea drinking.
Curb yourself, and never give way to anger. Whenever you fly into a passion, you contact red sanskaras, which are the worst of all.
Meher Baba consolidated almost all His directives in the repentance prayer given by Him as under:
We repent, O God most merciful, for all our sins; for every thought that was false or unjust or unclean; for every word spoken that ought not to have spoken; for every deed done that ought not to have been done.
We repent for every deed and word and thought inspired by selfishness, and for every deed and word and thought inspired by hatred.
We repent especially for every lustful thought and every lustful action; for every lie; for all hypocrisy; for every promise given but not fulfilled; and for all slander and backbiting.
Most especially also we repent for every action that brought ruin to others; for every word and deed that has given others pain; and for every wish that pain should befall others.
In your unbounded mercy, we ask you to forgive us, O God, for all these sins committed by us, and to forgive us for our constant failures to think and speak and act according to Your will.
According to Meher Baba, reading, writing and speaking are of very little importance from spiritual point of view. This can lead an intellectual to the threshold of spirituality. But to tread upon the spiritual path, remembrance, love, obedience and surrender to Avatar or living Sadguru is required which has real meaning. Meher Baba Himself composed song and sang “likhan padhan se na yar bazi, sanam ka hardam khayal hona”.
So one should Love Baba and remember Him all the way as one can.