Hits: 0



1- BOY-1

In 1941, Baba contacted one mast and one mastani in Multan. The bus arrived late in the afternoon, amazingly with only one puncture along the way. Eruch and Nilu were sent into the town to hunt masts. Eruch was also to bring a few boys, and Baba selected one to join them on the pretext that the boy would be taught to operate a movie projector and get a job at the Sarosh Cinema in Ahmednagar. But Baba had a hidden reason for the boy he chose.

On 7th March 1841, Baba and group left Multan for the town of Khar, a distance of 110 miles in Blue bus

Baba had brought the boy from Multan in the car and he had no idea who the friendly silent stranger was. The boy was singing to himself, but when the women in the group started shouting, "Sadguru Meher Baba ki jai," he realized that he was in the presence of someone great. (Lord meher-p-2201-1941)


 2-A BOY-2

Before leaving Duzdab, Buasaheb found a boy. He thought would fit Baba's description and brought him to Baba. Baba dressed the lad in fine clothes and fed him, but sent him back." (Lord Meher-p-1117-1929)


 3-A BOY-3

(Son of vicious dacoit)

In year 1941, Baba and the group reached the town of Dera Ghazi Khan in morning. The local folk of Dera Ghazi Khan warned them about the dangers of travelling to Quetta by this route. The people said that even the military were hesitant to travel by this road because of bandits, and that route was taken only with the greatest precaution. Baba was determined, however, and they drove on toward the mountains.

It continued to rain throughout the day as they proceeded toward Khar along the narrow, tortuous roads which wound up the steep mountain and around sharp curves. The area was so desolate and wild; there was actually no sign of human life along the entire drive. At two places the car and bus got stuck in the mud and were freed only when everyone got out and pushed. They reached the town of Khar at five in the evening and settled in at the dak bungalow on top of a mountain for two days.

The group left Khar on the 10th morning for Loralai, a distance of over 130 miles. The whole way was through mountain passes and was the most dangerous part of the journey. Ten miles away, they stopped at Rakhni to pick up hired military escorts.

In Loralai, the boy who had been accompanying them was identified as the son of a vicious dacoit. He had begun giving them trouble, so Baba sent the boy back to Multan. Baba's reason for bringing him was now revealed. The dacoits had not attacked them knowing the boy was travelling with them. (Lord Meher-p-2203-1941)



On 12th June 1923, Baba said, "Before proceeding to Persia, I have been thinking of travelling six more months in India, walking from Kashmir to Bombay and staying somewhere along the journey for a month." He asked the mandali to think about this new plan and the route.

The next afternoon, Baba wished to climb the high mountain two miles away that overlooked their house. He walked there at a swift pace and the mandali, finding it hard to keep up after some distance, were practically running behind him. Observing the new strangers and their foreign attire, passers-by began staring at them, and one C.I.D. officer even followed the group. Reaching the base of the mountain, Baba started climbing it with sure and swift strides. But none of the mandali could climb the rocks and slid back down as soon as they had gone up a few feet. Baba came down shortly thereafter, and the group returned to the city. The C.I.D. agent, however, did not stop to interrogate them. (Lord Meher-p-429-1923)



In September 1934, the police commissioner of Mohammerah and other officials wanted to meet Meher Baba, and when this was brought to Baba's attention, he scolded the men sternly, "I have told you a thousand times not to disclose my identity to outsiders. I don't like it. I do not wish to see anyone here. I might give darshan of my own accord elsewhere, but not here. Not one of you listens to me, and this creates all these unnecessary harassments."

It was later discovered that the dervish who had arranged for their house had informed others about Meher Baba. When they first met him, the dervish did not know at the time who Baba really was, but he found out when Baba visited Ardeshir Irani's house in Mohammerah.  But Baba was adamant and did not grant darshan to anyone in Mohammerah. (Lord meher-p-1096-1924)



In Bagdad, In spite of his failing health, on the 27th October 1936, Baba arranged for a large amount of cooked food to be purchased and fed 100 of the city's beggars, serving the food with his own hands. At one point, he remarked, "By my coming here, the link with Rahuri is snapped, and to re-establish this link, I am feeding these poor persons." Before starting their journey, Baba had expressed his desire to feed and, if possible, bathe a number of poor and crippled persons in Baghdad. Now, due to being detained by the breach in the railway line, he was able to do his work with the destitute.  (Lord Meher-p-1740-1936)



During darshan program in year 1965, Aloba led six persons from Iran, who had come to Poona after overcoming great hardships. One lady brought an offering of money from another woman in Iran and explained whom it was from: "Just before we left, this woman was in a very complicated and difficult labor, and the doctors were preparing to perform a caesarean to save her. She kept repeatedly calling, 'Baba, Baba!' Within moments, to the amazement of the doctors, she safely delivered twins without the surgery. She asked me to place this love-offering at your feet."

Baba told her to return the money to the woman who had sent it, along with his love, and to instruct her to feed the poor in Iran with the money. (Lord Meher-p-5144-1965)


On 28th December 1927, a woman came for Baba's darshan and referred to him as the Omniscient One. Thereupon Baba discoursed on the four types of knowledge — worldly knowledge, inner knowledge of the planes, Self-knowledge of the seventh plane, and all-knowledge, which only the Avatars and Sadgurus have in order to work in and for the three worlds. (Lord Meher-p- 876-1927)


During darshan program in year 1965, a woman from Iran, Baba said to her, "Only 100 percent honesty leads one to Baba. Never pose. Be outwardly what you are within."   (Lord Meher-p-5144-1965)




During darshan program in year 1965, one Persian woman, while taking darshan, wept bitterly and told Baba, "I cannot bear your separation."

Baba replied, "I too cannot bear my own separation!" (Lord Meher-p-5144-1965)



In 1963, an Irani woman with her children approached Baba. She requested Baba to cast his nazar upon them. After she left, Baba observed, "My nazar is on everyone all the time; however, it does not fall upon just anyone. Once it falls on a person, he would instantaneously become infinite power, infinite knowledge and infinite bliss!" (Lord Meher-p-4981-1963)



During sahwas program in year 1965, Aloba led and six individuals from Iran, who had come to Poona after overcoming great hardships. The oldest woman in the group had fallen and broken a rib in Bombay but came to Guruprasad daily despite her pain, not telling anyone of the extent of her injuries. (Lord Meher-p-5144-1965)



Baba and mandali reached Uri at six that evening. Although it was quite cold, Baba did not wear his coat the entire day. He cooked dal and personally served it to each in the group. While on tour, Baba usually remained incognito, but at the Customs House in Domel, a Punjabi customs officer recognized Baba and took his darshan. He was given a booklet and a copy of the Meher Message. (Lord Meher-p-1055-1929)




Baba and group arrived in Baam and inquires were made as to how to proceed to Duzdab. They were informed that, via desert Duzdab could be reached in two days. They were also told that the route was extremely dangerous and full of highway bandits. In the interim, Raosaheb arranged for a quiet rest house on the outskirts of town where they stayed.

On 31st October 1929, Gustadji noticed a saintly-looking man, whom the local people held in great reverence, seated in front of a shop opposite their house and told Baba about him. Baba came to the door to see him. As soon as Baba appeared at the door, the saint jumped up from his seat as a mark of respect for Baba, whom he seemed to know. He came forward and kissed Baba's hands. Baba embraced him and the man walked off to return to his seat.

He told all who came to him afterwards, "There is amidst us an Emperor of all Fakirs." Later, Baba had him brought to his room where he sat alone with him.

Baba gave him his mattress and the man departed. Baba revealed that the man was a wali on the fifth plane. (Lord Meher-p-1107/8-1929)




Rusi's efforts in Quetta proved fruitful and on 3rd July 1927, at seven in the morning, the first contingent of Persian students arrived with Baidul — twelve Zoroastrian and two Muslim boys. Two other adults accompanied the group. Baidul was successful in bringing the boys to India without passports — an accomplishment that would have been impossible without Baba's inner help. As soon as the boys arrived, although they were very tired from the long journey, Baidul lined them up according to height and had their photograph taken to document their appearance and condition on arrival. Baba then came and patted each boy on the head and lovingly welcomed them to Meherabad.

A Persian, a Muslim orphan of seventeen named Abdulla Rokneldin Pakrawan, arrived a week later, on 9th July 1927.  Seeing an advertisement for the Meher Ashram in a newspaper, he had come seeking to further his formal education; he was not interested in spirituality or in gurus. Because he was raised an orthodox Muslim, only Islam meant anything to him. Nevertheless, Baba admitted him to the Hazrat Babajan High School, and shortly after, Abdulla's orthodox mentality was transformed and he would be christened Chhota Baba. (Lord Meher-p-828-1927)





(Refer Fortunate souls-2)




After only a few days in Persia, group boarded the cargo ship “Baroja” and left Bushire. Baba and the mandali would always travel by the lowest class and, accordingly, they occupied the deck. Most of the other passengers on board were illiterate Arab tribesmen. There was not much room for the passengers because the cargo ship was carrying cows, goats, chickens, donkeys, and horses-the animals' dung caused a terrible stench. The Arabs daily slaughtered goats and chickens on the deck for their meals, and their unhygienic habits shocked the mandali.

On one occasion, an arrogant Arab kicked Nervous' bedroll, throwing it aside, rather than ask him politely to move it. Baba quickly stopped Nervous from confronting the man. On another occasion, one Arab abused his fellow Muslim for not offering namaz (prayer) with his face toward the west; however, the next morning, the same Arab was seen offering namaz as soon as he was out of bed, without first washing his hands and feet, which was customary. (Lord Meher-p-487/8-1924)




Baba and the group left Isfahan for Yezd on Tuesday, 22 October 1929. After two days of travel through a vast desert, Baba and the group arrived in Yezd at night and put up in a serai (inn). The next day, they were invited to stay at the house of a merchant named Arbab Rustom Khushrav and Baba accepted the offer. (Lord Meher-p-1104-1929)




During their stay, Baba would go for walks daily to various places in Quetta. On 16th June 1923, Baba walked three miles with the mandali to the garden of Ardeshir Golwalla (Rusi’s friend) where they played gilli-danda. (Lord Meher-p-429-1923)




In Baam, a general of the Persian Army came to Baba's residence in full uniform with a sword hanging by his side. He asked the mandali about Meher Baba, but was told that no one by that name lived there. The general requested, "Please go tell your Master that a beggar is standing on his threshold." When informed, Baba permitted the soldier to enter. The moment he came into Baba's presence, he folded his hands reverently on his chest (a mark of respect in Persia). He saluted Baba in grand Persian military style and then, taking out his sword, placed it on the floor. Falling at Baba's feet, he kissed his hands.

"Who are you?" Baba inquired.

"Your humble slave!" he replied.

"What is your rank?"

"It is nothing before your venerable self," the man replied.

"I asked about your rank in the army."

"I am a general in the army of Persia."

Baba lovingly patted him on the head and back and remarked, "To die in the service of one's country is indeed great, but to die for love of God is greater!"

The general nodded, saying, "I understand, your Holiness. I implore you to grant me the grace that my devotion to God may increase."

"I will help you," Baba promised.

In adoration, the general closed his eyes and bowed down, saying, "If I am permitted, your Holiness, I would like to say that the salvation of my country does not lie in its military strength, but in its spiritual rebirth through an inner understanding of life brought about by the grace of great Buzurgs (asters) like yourself. My humble prayer is that you might be pleased to shower your grace on my unfortunate country and its illiterate people."

Baba smiled, gesturing, "That is why you see me here."

"It is a great privilege for this country. May your blessing sanctify the soil of this land!" The general then walked reverently backward, step by step, gazing at Baba. It was a most touching and memorable sight, and one that the mandali never forgot. When they later asked the general how he happened to come to meet Baba, the man explained that he was a seeker and had been literally drawn by some unexplained spiritual force.  (Lord Meher-p-1108-1929)




(Father of Buasaheb)

On 27th October 1929, the group went to the suburb of Mubarka where Baba met Buasaheb's father Faredoon. (Lord Meher-p-1105-1929)




Baba and the mandali stayed at Ghulam Husain Lodi's house in Bushire. Their baggage was brought by mule, the most common means of transportation in Iran at the time. A Primus stove was lit and Baba warmed himself near it, for he was shivering from the extreme cold. Nervous brought charcoal and lit hearths to heat the room. Strong winds were blowing, and the cold atmosphere was gloomy and uncongenial. Nervous brought supplies from the market and Masaji cooked a meal. Water for drinking had to be bought, as there was a great scarcity. But the water which was purchased contained maggots and looked so milky that most people would not even have washed their feet in it! The mandali had to walk to the seashore to wash the cooking utensils. (Lord Meher-P-488)




On 1st November 1929, Baba and the mandali left Baam in the afternoon by hired bus to drive to Duzdab, and an experienced driver named Hafizji was engaged.

The driver was specifically instructed not to load any other items on the bus. Baba suddenly lost his temper while taking his seat, but none of the men could understand the reason for it. They had proceeded only a mile when the bus had two flat tires. The driver, Hafizji, became frightened because the tires were brand-new and there was no apparent cause for the punctures. The tires were repaired and they drove on to the next stop where they rested.

As they were driving the next day, Hafizji noticed steam spewing out of the radiator. Stopping the bus, he got down and inspected it. What could be wrong? He wondered. He poured cold water in the radiator and restarted the bus; however, within a few minutes, the engine registered as hot as before.

Getting down from the bus, Hafizji opened the hood and checked the engine, but again failed to detect anything amiss. Perplexed, he kept checking and finally found a small crack at the bottom of the radiator. He managed to patch the crack with the white of an egg, filled the radiator with cold water and drove as slowly as he could, muttering at the wheel, "Allah, Allah." They arrived at the village of Fahrej that night. Hafizji was often heard talking to himself, "Allah, protect me! I've never had such trouble before."

The journey was resumed the following day, but again after driving only a few miles, the radiator began boiling over. Hafizji was at his wit's end by this time. He tried to repair the damage, but his mind was despondent and, being superstitious, he was afraid. When Raosaheb approached Hafizji to comfort him, the driver suddenly remembered what was wrong and told Raosaheb (who spoke Persian), "Now I understand why all this has happened. It is so clear to me now! I have broken my promise to your Master. Before leaving Baam, I loaded two gunnysacks of almonds on the bus, contrary to his orders. How am I to ask for his forgiveness? I am ashamed of my ignorance and folly. Kindly pray to him on my behalf to forgive me."

Raosaheb sympathized with the man and told him, "I warned you that bad luck accompanies those who break their promise to Meher Baba, but you failed to heed my advice. I will take you to Meher Baba and entreat him to forgive you."

Raosaheb took Hafizji to Baba, who forgave him.

Never disrespect the word of a Buzurg and never break a promise once you have given it. Now stop worrying; drive back to Baam carefully and return with another bus." The driver was doubtful the bus would make it to Baam, but Baba assured him, "Don't be anxious. I will see that it arrives safely." Baba directed Raosaheb to take the Persian boy back home and they traveled with Hafizji.

Hafizji followed Baba's advice and safely reached Baam. To teach this man a lesson, Baba spent two days in an isolated desert village where there was little to eat and thieves were rampant. But Hafizji was meant to be blessed and learned a lesson he was never to forget (Lord Meher-p-1111-1929)




(A residents of Sukkur)

On 11th June 1924, Baba returned to Quetta. He had wired Ramjoo to await his arrival in Sukkur, but the telegram had not been delivered. Baba then related that he had gone to the site which Ardeshir had selected in Sukkur and liked it so much he had bought it through Holaram and Rustomji, two residents of Sukkur who had become devoted to the Master's cause. (Lord Meher-p-534-1924)




(Father & mother of Dr. Goher)

On 7th June 1923, after spending a pleasant week in Karachi, Baba departed with the mandali for Quetta. Pilamai had spared nothing in seeing to Baba's comfort, and he appeared pleased with his visit and her consideration. The group reached Quetta the next day. For the Master's privacy, Rusi had rented a house on Bruce Street next to his own; Baba stayed on the ground floor while the men mandali stayed upstairs. Rusi owned a restaurant and saw to his guests' food and general well-being. The Zoroastrian and Mohammedan mandali's meals were prepared at Rusi's restaurant; the Hindu mandali had their own separate (vegetarian) cooking arrangements in the house.

It was cold in Quetta, even though it was summer, and Baba relaxed the order for the men concerning their early morning cold-water baths, permitting them now to use hot water. Despite the cold, Baba did not stop fasting and would drink only warm milk and almond broth in the mornings and eat plain dal in the evenings.

Baba played with all of Rusi's children but he was most attentive to Goher and Katie. Goher was only seven years old and Katie was three. Baba became their perfect playmate and would teach them games. Katie once remarked to her father, "Meher Baba is such a fine gentleman. Don't allow him to leave!" While playing carrom one day, Baba quietly lifted up one of the pieces. "Baba, you're cheating!" Goher complained. "Play fairly." The Master laughed.

Rusi was an amateur magician and would stage magic shows every evening for Baba's enjoyment, telling jokes and funny stories as he performed his tricks. Rusi also took Baba and the mandali to different orchards and gardens surrounding Quetta, especially the beautiful garden of Jamasp, and showed them the city's many scenic spots. Baba was quite happy in Quetta and pleased to be in Rusi's humorous company.

Goher Irani had moved to Ahmednagar from Quetta in 1932 with her brother, Jal. The rest of her family moved in 1933, following Baba's warnings to leave Quetta before a terrible earthquake struck in 1935. All in the family were devoted to Baba, especially Goher and her sister Katie. On 22nd August, "Rusi Pop" (as Goher's father came to be known) arrived in Nasik. He stayed overnight and left with his cousin Adi Sr. the next day for Ahmednagar.

In 1933, Big Khorshed (the wife of Baba's deceased elder brother Jamshed) left the ashram and moved to Bombay, preferring a more independent life, as compared to the strict secluded life of the women mandali in the ashram, Big Khorshed had joined the ashram in 1926 after Jamshed's death and was also among the women staying at Toka during 1928. She later re-married and eventually moved to Karachi, though she kept in touch with Baba's family.

On 28th January 1934, Freiny Masi arrived suddenly with her son Keki. She was suffering from cancer and was depressed about her condition. She begged Baba to keep her in the ashram. Adi Sr. drove them to Khushru Quarters and Daulatmai was informed in Nasik. While returning, Adi brought Rusi Pop's daughters Silla, Goher and Katie to Meherabad to see Baba. Rusi Pop came the following day.

On 1st March 1935, Rusi Pop came to see Baba in the morning along with Padri's mother Freiny Masi, with whom Baba had a long talk about her illness. Baba assured her she would recover and instructed her to go to Poona and, for 40 days, to place ashes from his dhuni on Babajan's tomb.

1941, Rusi Irani had been instructed at Ahmednagar to go to Quetta, and arrange living accommodations for Baba and the group. Pendu and Rusi came to Jaipur on 22nd February 1941 and the following morning had a long discussion with Baba about the arrangements. Rusi was a former resident of Quetta, and during the 1920s Baba had stayed at his house three times. Following Baba's advice, Rusi and his family had left Quetta and were now residing in Ahmednagar. Rusi's daughter Katie had joined the women mandali on the Blue Bus tour, and another daughter, Goher, was studying to be a doctor in Bombay. During her vacations, Goher would eagerly come and stay with Baba, as she too had tasted Wine and longed for more.

Goher R. Irani had finished medical school and had come to Ahmednagar to stay with her family. Although she very much wanted to be with Baba, her mother Khorshed was disconsolate and wept at the thought of yet another daughter leaving her to join Meher Baba's ashram. Goher's sister, Katie, had been one of the resident women mandali since 1938, so their mother wished Goher to work as a doctor and live at home. Goher's father Rusi Pop, however, had no objection and wanted her to remain with Baba. (Lord Meher-p-2402-1944)

On 31st January 1945, Baba left Pimpalgaon and moved with the women to Rusi Pop's house in Ahmednagar, not far from Khushru Quarters. This move to Katie and Goher's parent's home was necessitated because of some minor construction and renovation work which was to take place at Pimpalgaon.

Baba's 54th birthday was observed (according to the Parsi calendar) on Friday, 13th February 1948. Baba called the women from Meherabad to Pimpalgaon at three in the afternoon for a bhajan performance by an Arangaon group. Also allowed to attend the festivities from Ahmednagar were: Khorshed Banu (Rusi Pop’s wife) and her daughter Roshan Shirin Damania.

The first program was held on Monday, 16th February 1948, at the town of Kotul, 80 miles from Ahmednagar near Sangamner. Driven by Adi Sr., Baba left Pimpalgaon in the middle of the night at 3 A.M. and came to Rusi Pop's where he washed and had breakfast. He left with Dhake, Kaka and Jalbhai, and arrived at Kotul shortly after eight in the morning. The program was held at the dak bungalow. Baba sat on a stool and washed the feet of 1,010 poverty-stricken men and women, placed his head on their feet, and handed them his prasad. To 27 of them he gave one rupee each.

In Meherabad, on the morning of the 26th of February 1948, Baba broke his 40-day fast. In His presence, Nilu, Don and Ghani also broke their partial fast of 25 days by eating some food in front of Baba. Kaka and Annasaheb Kale broke their silence of the past 25 days by speaking to Baba. On the hill that afternoon at five, Rusi Pop gave a magic show before an audience of both the men and women mandali. Baba returned to Rusi Pop's with the women the next morning at eight.

On 17th September 1947, Baba drove to Bombay with Sarosh and others. There they were met by the other mandali who were to accompany them including Rusi Pop. All boarded the train at 8:30 that evening and left for Surat. (Lord Meher-p-2588-1947)

Having completed his mast work in Bombay, Baba and the men and women mandali returned to Ahmednagar on Saturday, 20 March. From that night, Baba changed his routine and began sleeping at Rusi Pop's, rather than Gyara's. He visited the mandali at the Ice Factory during the day.

The day after Baba arrived; Adi drove him as usual at 8:00 A.M. from Rusi Pop's to the Ice Factory Bungalow. Baba went through the post and telegrams that had arrived while he was away, and met Don, Pendu, Padri and Sarosh. Don showed Baba the cover and some pages of proofs of The Wayfarers, and Baba expressed his pleasure at the work. Baba returned to Rusi Pop's for lunch, and Adi drove him back to the mandali's at 3:00 P.M. (Lord Meher-p-2645-1948)

Although they were happy to be back in India, they were feeling the pain of separation at being kept at After the housewarming at Meherazad, Baba called Jean and Delia to Pop's house to stay, and they felt much happier. Kaka was cooking separately for the Westerners living at Pop's and Baba was sending them to the Ice Factory Bungalow for their meals, while he ate with the Eastern women at Pop's.(Lord meher-p-2688-1948)

1st August 1949, was a red-letter day in Meherazad. All the Meherabad mandali, as well as other Meherabad residents, including Rusi Pop were invited. No one was to eat breakfast or take tea before arriving. All the men and women had been observing silence for one month, and they were to break it in Baba's presence when he stepped out of seclusion. Sarosh was the only one who had been exempted from being on silence because of his political involvements and work.

Before New Life, on 15th September 1948, Rusi Pop and two others had interviews at Meherazad and received instructions from Baba.

Pointing to Rusi Pop, Goher's father, Baba commented, "I stayed in his house in Quetta years ago."

On 31st March Rusi Pop came to Meherazad in Meherabad. Baba was in a very cheerful mood that day. A discussion took place about lower Meherabad and the Family Quarters.

Goher's mother was seriously ill with cancer and required an operation in Bombay. Baba was informed and instructed the family to proceed with the operation. Meanwhile, Feram and Goher's father, Rusi Pop, were called to Meherazad at 9:00 A.M. on 23 March. Baba ordered Feram to sleep at Rusi Pop's for some days.

Goher's mother Khorshed's condition was becoming worse. Alu Khambatta had been enlisted to help the family look after her. Baba was informed on 16th May, and through Goher he conveyed a message to her parents to "Remember him constantly, take his name and do not worry." On the 23rd, just as Khorshed was passing through a crisis, a phone call from Baba came to Adi, informing him that Khorshed would drop her body when Baba willed it, and that he was pleased with the efforts of all those who were attending her.

Khorshed died the following day at 2:00 P.M., and Baba had this message phoned to her husband Rusi Pop in Ahmednagar:

Dear Khorshed has come to Me to rest eternally in My love. You be brave and be resigned to My Divine Will. I will call you when I return to Meherazad. My love-blessing to you and the family"




Aloba led in Jehangir Mehrabanpur, his wife and six others from Iran, who had come to Poona after overcoming great hardships. (Lord Meher-p-5144-1965)




Irani Azendumush wrote about Kasaho Asaree

Kasaho Asaree had had Baba's darshan along with Irani Azendumush at Bombay Centre and He kissed his feet. Then went to Guruprasad. There, at Guruprasad, Baba asked for all the people from Iran. He touched everyone with his touch of grace and then told us to go. When it was time for us to leave, Azendumush told Baba, "Baba, we can't leave you and we can't live without you." Baba said, "Don't worry. Just remember me at all times. I am with you. Think of me."

In Bombay Azendumush stayed at the house of Kasaho Asaree. He told him, "This is the way that I feel. I can't go back to Iran. I am going mad." (Now that I am telling this, I am beginning to feel just the way I did then.)

Kasaho Asaree told me, "Don't worry. We'll go back to Baba." Kasaho Asaree soothed his feelings a little bit with what he said. He told Azendumush if he was very upset I could go back to Baba. It so happened that everyone had gone for Baba's darshan except Kasaho Asaree. He said, "Okay, we can go together," and so we went together.

When they reached Poona, they told Baba that a few of the Iranians had come to see him. It was in the evening. Baba gave us permission to go and visit him. When they saw Baba, They saw he was much more beautiful and much more radiant than before. He looked just like an angel. We all had his darshan again. Khodayar, Khodadad and Kasaho Asaree and myself. (Recorded by Irwin Luck; translated by Farhad Shafa)




(Meher Baba’s paternal uncle nicknamed (kaka)

After working for several years in Bombay, Meher Baba’s paternal uncle (kaka), Khodadad Kaka had returned to live in Iran. However, after Merwan was born, Khodadad returned to India for six months every year just to visit his young nephew.

Once Shireen confronted her brother-in-law, "Khoda, you always say you can't afford this, you can't afford that! How is it that you can afford to come to India every year?"

Khodadad Kaka smiled and replied, "I have to see Merog, don't I? I am his uncle, am I not?"

Sometimes, Merwan would visit Bombay and spend part of his vacation with his other maternal aunt and uncle, Banu Masi and her husband Khodadad Masa, and their children.

Khodadad Masa managed several flourishing teashops in Bombay and they lived in a large house with a spacious compound where the children played. Merwan's paternal uncle, Khodadad Kaka, and members of his family had also settled in Bombay, and Merwan would visit them as well, befriending Khodadad Kaka's sons.

Baba's father and his elder brother, Khodadad Kaka, arrived on 8th November 1927. Baba's uncle had brought his two grandsons to enroll them in the ashram school. In this way, a number Baba's young relatives were under his direct spiritual guidance. Khodadad Kaka was small-statured, with a small white beard, and tiny bright eyes. He was humble and loved and revered his nephew. He had a habit of walking if he could manage it. He would walk the six miles from the railway station, to Meherabad, for instance.

In year 1937, on the auspicious occasions as His birthday at Nasik  Meher Baba called many of His lovers from Bombay, Poona, Ahmednagar, Nagpur, Karachi and other distant places throughout India. Sheriarji's brother Khodadad Kaka also attended.




In his own words

My name is Irani Azendumush, wife of Khodayar. I did not know of Baba in the beginning. When I was a child it was as if I was searching for something, as if I had lost someone and I was looking for him. Wherever I would go, in the temples or wherever, I could not figure out what it was I was looking for. All I felt was that I had someone, something I was looking for, until I became acquainted with Khodayar.

In the beginning, I didn't want to get married at all. Then I became acquainted with Khodayar and he was speaking of Baba. Gradually the love that Baba inspired in my heart became the nucleus of our married life and, also, the love in our marriage. In the beginning, as Khodayar would tell me about Baba, although there were times I would believe what he would say, there were other times that I could not believe what he said, especially when he would speak of these extraordinary things of Baba. Those I could not believe. I would say to myself he was lying, maybe it was just pretense or something.

Finally, though, I started to hit the books — Hafiz, this one, that one — and I gradually advanced. All of these became so familiar to me that I got acquainted with Baba. It was such that whatever I would ask of Baba he would give me, he would arrange it. I did not have a mother from very young childhood and my relatives were very distant relatives. When I was distressed and there was something that I wanted, I would only approach Baba. Baba is my father, Baba is my mother, Baba is my everyone. Whatever I would ask, he would give me.

When I was in Shiraz, I didn't know anyone. When I would get ill, I would just think of Baba. I would then see that Baba was sitting in the chair next to me. He would come from above to down here. He would tap me over the head and my face, like someone restoring my health. Then I would get well and get up and go to my work.

One day I got very ill. I was really sick. I could only expect Baba to come and take me away. I had gone to the doctor, but it had not been effective. I was just waiting for Baba. In that state of sleep and wakefulness, I saw Baba at my side. He took my skin off just like when you take the sheep's skin off. He took off my skin and I didn't say anything. I became well after a few days.

After one or two years we went for Baba's darshan. I asked Baba, if it was his will, he would arrange everything so that I could come, too. Of course, it was very hard for me to believe I could go. All I said was, "Baba, if you really want me to come to your darshan, arrange it so I can come." He arranged it and I went. It was very beautiful. We were there for the four days. We got to know all the Baba lovers and all the new things there.

The first time that I met Baba, I did not know where I was. The state that I was in was very good. I cannot say that I left consciousness. When I would see him, I would tell him I was in that state. I would say to myself, "O God, all the people throughout history, all the Zoroastrians, who know that a great person is to come — they should know our father. Where are they? They should raise their heads from their graves and see that the person they have been expecting for many years has come now. But unfortunately they are old now, immaterial. They don't know this great one who has come owns the two worlds ..." I can't explain any further, all of this was in my mind at that time.

We were very happy. We had Baba's darshan in Bombay Centre and we kissed his feet. Then we went to Guruprasad. There, at Guruprasad, Baba asked for all the people from Iran. He touched everyone with his touch of grace and then told us to go. When it was time for us to leave, I told Baba, "Baba, we can't leave you and we can't live without you."

Baba said, "Don't worry. Just remember me at all times. I am with you. Think of me."

When the darshan was over and everyone was leaving Guruprasad, I was there and I just couldn't leave. This feeling was so strong in me that I did not want to leave Guruprasad. I did not want to leave Baba. It was very difficult for me. Everybody was saying good-bye and I was constantly telling Khodayar, "I don't want to leave. How can you possibly go to Iran? How can you make yourself leave Baba? Let us stay and remain here." But we had to leave.

In Bombay, whenever they would ask me to go here or there — I would say, "I don't want to go anywhere." We stayed at the house of Kasaho Asaree. I told him, "This is the way that I feel. I can't go back to Iran. I am going mad." (Now that I am telling this, I am beginning to feel just the way I did then.)

He told me, "Don't worry. We'll go back to Baba." Kasaho Asaree soothed my feelings a little bit with what he said. He told me if I was very upset I could go back to Baba. It so happened that everyone had gone for Baba's darshan except Kasaho Asaree. He said, "Okay, we can go together," and so we went together.

When we reached Poona, they told Baba that a few of the Iranians had come to see him. It was in the evening. Baba gave us permission to go and visit him. When we saw Baba, we saw he was much more beautiful and much more radiant than before. He looked just like an angel. We all had his darshan again ... Khodayar and Khodadar, Kasaho Asaree and myself. When I saw Baba looking so beautiful, like an angel, I thought of circling him seven times. It didn't take seven times. After going around him two times, Baba gestured for me to come and bow down to his feet, I kissed Baba's feet, then we left. This was a little bit of solace to my heart. There was nothing else we could do. We had to go. When we returned to Iran, we would have letters from Baba and write in return.

During the four days of darshan at Poona, one day about 9:30 a.m., Baba sent his own car — to the Zoroastrian Hotel where the Iranians were staying. Parichaar, a lady from Pakistan who knows our language, had come to tell us that all the ladies who wanted to could go and see the women mandali. But it so happened that there was nobody else there; I was the only one left. I told Parichaar I didn't know the language but Parichaar said, "Come, I will help you." So she came with us to Guruprasad.

It was Baba's own doing. They told me that Baba was in his room there, so I fell behind his door and kissed the threshold of the door. Then all of a sudden, I couldn't feel myself anymore. I lost my normal consciousness. All the ladies came — Mehera, Dr. Goher, Mani, Baba's sister. They patted me ... they raised me and sat me in the chair. Baba's sister went and made a cold drink for me. I couldn't understand anything. I only wanted Baba. I didn't know where I was. They would constantly keep asking me what my name was, and I would answer "Iran." But they thought I was telling them I was from Iran. They asked this 2 or 3 times. Finally, I managed to tell them my name was Iran. With their speech and their kind pattings, they gradually got me out of the state that I was in. Then in the afternoon, they brought us back to the hotel in the same car.

After we returned back to Iran, every now and then I would sit and remember Baba and think of Baba. Khodayar was translating Baba's work. While I was a wife with children, difficulties would arise. I would remember Baba's name and he himself would take care of it all. He was God who knew Himself; whenever I have needed help, he himself has helped me a great deal. My love is all his. We're all his and he himself has taken us ahead.

There is no way I can speak the words that I want. Suffice it to say that whenever I have needed help, I have thought of him and he has helped me. Many times in this very house as I would work, I would be thinking of Baba. I would see that Baba was following me. I would also see Baba in the yard, here and there, with Eruch he would be walking and speaking; he would be gesturing to me and things like that.

I have dreamt of him many times. Before I went to Baba's darshan, I was pregnant with my third child. I had a dream of Baba one night. I saw that Baba was at the well with some sort of an Indian there. I had not yet seen Baba. As soon as I saw Baba I was very happy I had finally managed to see him. I asked him, "Baba, when did you arrive? You didn't let us know that you were coming. Khodayar is very anxious to see you."

He told me, "My nazar is constantly with Khodayar and I am with him. He can't see me but I am seeing him now." It was just like this. All of our lives he himself is guiding all of our actions. Whenever we need help, he helps, and he has helped me so much. There are no words to express it. What else can I say?

This point I am going to make is very important because some people say Baba died and he passed away. But Baba is not dead; he is living in everybody. Baba is living in everybody; he is not dead. For example is this incident, when you were going to come here. Twenty-four hours before you arrived, I was sitting in our yard. As I usually sit and think of Baba, then I was thinking to myself, "Oh Baba, if we could just see, for an instant, what you see behind your own eyes; if we could know what goes on behind your eyes, how good that would be. If you would show to us, how nice it would be ... this world and Baba are nothing but love."

All of a sudden my head bent over and I went into a mood. I don't want to pretend that I saw anything — no, I didn't see anything -– but it was just that my eyes turned up to the sky — just like this, for a moment — and I gazed there for a minute so that I might see something. But I didn't see anything Yet after twenty-four hours, your telegram arrived saying you were coming. Then Baba gave me nothing but Love.

In this way he proved to me that Baba is Love and is service. He guided you into our house. I am very grateful to you for coming to our house and for you to take movies of us and tape our conversations. I am very grateful. Your steps, which are steps of love which Baba has guided to our house, I kiss them and I say Jai Baba to all the Baba-lovers and to all the listeners and viewers. (Recorded by Irwin Luck; translated by Farhad Shafa)




Sheriar Rashid Mehrabanpur was one other resident of Meherabad. He had first heard of Baba in Persia from Baidul, and immediately borrowed money and came to India. Mehrabanpur was a young, strong man and a very sincere seeker. Baba allowed him to join the mandali and placed him on silence.

He was told to act as a watchman by the gate at Upper Meherabad to make certain that no outsiders came into the Meher Ashram compound on the hill. (Lord Meher-p-828-1927)




Phirozshah, one of Rusi's friends in Quetta came to meet Meher Baba and in a short time many established close contact with him and was greatly drawn to the Master. (Lord Meher-p-430-1924)

On 6th June 1924, Baba left Bombay for Quetta by the Gujarat Mail train. Unfortunately, the charming house they had selected for their permanent stay during their last visit to Quetta was no longer available. Baba was disappointed because he liked its lovely garden. Another problem was Quetta's winter; its freezing temperatures and heavy snows were not comfortable for Baba's mandali. Those who were used to more temperate weather could easily catch pneumonia. After discussing the matter, Baba decided to relocate to Sukkur.

Baba told Ardeshir and Ramjoo to proceed to Sukkur and make all necessary inquiries to select a suitable place for them to stay. Phirozshah gave them a letter of recommendation to present to his friend Mobed, and both departed.

Reaching Sukkur on 11th June, they inspected various fruit orchards and mailed daily reports to Baba. Ardeshir approved of one orchard on the banks of the Indus river; but Ramjoo wrote to Baba that the climate was so hot during the summer that it would not be advisable to think of living in Sukkur. Receiving no reply from Baba, they returned to Quetta on 14th June, but were informed that Baba had left for Sukkur with Phirozshah that same day. (Lord Meher-p-533/4-1924)




Police commissioner of Baam came to inquire about Meher Baba. According to the prevailing law in Persia, the police were authorized to record the name, business and purpose of visit of all foreigners travelling through the country. The commissioner had come to gather these details. The facts were laid before him by Baba's secretary Chanji, but the officer said, "I wish to meet your leader, Arbab Merwan, in person."

He was told that Baba was not meeting anyone, but he persisted, "According to government regulations, I must interview him in person." When he was told again it was not possible, he said, "I cannot tell you how much it would mean to me to see Hazrat Meher Baba." Then he apologized and confessed, "I have used my authority solely to gain entrance and have your Master's darshan today. Everything I did was simply pretence."

Baba was informed and called the commissioner to his room, remarking that he appreciated the spirit of love and intense desire to meet him behind the man's actions. The man humbly presented himself to Baba and kissed his hands. Baba allowed him to sit with him for a while and then he remarked to the man, "I will return from Quetta soon, and will break my silence and manifest in Persia."

The commissioner said, "I am indeed happy to have met the Revered One that so many now talk about. Hazrat, I am ready to carry out your wishes." Turning to the mandali, he commented, "You are truly fortunate to have the constant company of the Master." (Lord Meher-p-1109-1929)




In year 1929, Baba was in Mohammerah. The police commissioner and other officials wanted to meet Meher Baba, and when this was brought to Baba's attention, he scolded the men sternly, "I have told you a thousand times not to disclose my identity to outsiders. I don't like it. I do not wish to see anyone here. I might give darshan of my own accord elsewhere, but not here. Not one of you listens to me, and this creates all these unnecessary harassments."

It was later discovered that the dervish who had arranged for their house had informed others about Meher Baba. When they first met him, the dervish did not know at the time who Baba really was, but he found out when Baba visited Ardeshir Irani's house in Mohammerah.  But Baba was adamant and did not grant darshan to anyone in Mohammerah. (Lord Meher-p-1096-1929)




(A Priest)

Sheheryar Irani, of Persia, met Baba on the 7th, and the Master explained to them about Zoroaster:

The prayer books of all religions — Avesta of the Parsis, the Koran of Islam, Bible of the Christians, et cetera — are all written by priests and have nothing whatsoever to do with the Truth. Zoroaster meant for agni  (fire) to burn your "heart" in love of God. The dasturs murdered the meaning and changed it to burning in the external sense of the sacred fire. So also, other religious dogmas and doctrines of kusti, prayers of the Avesta — are all ceremony and rituals.

Take one name of God sincerely, lovingly, devotedly for a few minutes each day without the thought of anything else and that is much more beneficial than hours of prayers recited mechanically, the mind being all the while engaged and occupied in worldly affairs.

Zoroaster had fourteen disciples whom he Realized. There was one whom he realized after the fourteen. From him, the knowledge and experience of God was passed on from father to son for 700 years. But after Dastur Azar Kaivan [who became a Perfect Master], a false, deceitful Dastur obtained the sacred gaadi and started collecting money. Those dasturs who followed him decreed as they thought. After them, until the present, there has been no Realized person among Zoroastrians.

Whatever religious books [Avesta] the Zoroastrians have got now are books of these dasturs and not of Zoroaster. Zoroaster taught and gave out gems of Truth — gems of Sufism — but they are not known to people. To his special fourteen disciples he gave real Knowledge and Experience. To others (i.e., the world) he gave them tariqat of Sufism — laws, rules, regulations, etc. There were tremendous changes in the doctrines set down by Zoroaster made by the false dasturs. The same is true with Christ's Bible, Muhammad's Koran, et cetera.

Suppose after I give experience to some, the members of my circle go out in the world and lecture before people. These lectures will be taken down by people and they will hereafter be taken as to constitute the next Avesta, Bible, Koran, Vedas, et cetera. These, too, will undergo various changes under different hands as time goes by.

So my best advice to you is to create love for God. Earn something by your own efforts and in my contact. Otherwise, if you spend your time in discussions on religious doctrines and dogmas, it will take you nowhere.

It is all rigmarole and will waste your precious time, which might better be used in thinking of God, meditating, and creating love. Love is the sum and substance of all religions and the only essential of all creeds. Leave the rigmarole alone.

For example, the alphabet is taught to a child to make him begin to learn the language. But if he merely learns the alphabet without any efforts at proceeding further, he will learn practically nothing. It is the same in religion. The shariat, doctrines, and dogmas are given as a preliminary beginning — like the alphabet — to reach the ultimate aim of the Realization of the Truth. After one masters the fundamentals, one advances; but if a person merely sticks to religious ceremonies and rituals and believes that religion is that alone, then he does not advance at all. God and Truth are far, far above shariat, doctrines and dogmas, rituals and ceremonies. (Lord Meher-p-903/4-1928)