Hits: 0






(Daughter of Sarwar Irani)

She had a typical disease. People said that someone had played  black magic on her and made her sick. There was no choice. Her parents made all out efforts  to treat her  but all in vain. One day Rustom (disciple) talked to Baba about it.  Beloved Baba asked to bring her to Meherabad.  Seeing her immediately Baba advised her to take one injection and along with instructed to take dhuni ash (Udi) along with. Baba ordered her to continue this treatment till she is completely cured. Slowly the disease disappeared and Lahal did not knew. (Maja Meher ke sath me-p-125-Anna Khandale)



(A servant)

"In 1927, I had asked the Mandali members to dig a pit at Upper Meherabad, where My Samadhi is now. A pit was dug, and a tin shed with a window constructed above it. I had already been observing silence, and then I started observing a fast for the five-and-a-half months that I was in seclusion in this pit. There were wooden planks on it, and in the evening, I would sit on them and give the Prem Ashram boys discourses in simple language on My alphabet board. I wanted no one to see My face or any part of My body during these five-and-a-half months. Because of the tin shed, no one could see anything but My alphabet board and My fingers dancing upon it as would give these discourses.

"Every day, a boy named Lahu would bring Me two cups of coffee. He would set them near the window and afterwards, I would take them.

"But do you think that I was drinking these two cups of coffee? I was not. That boy, as he was bringing the coffee from Lower to Upper Meherabad, would sit under a tree, open the flask, and drink one cup of coffee himself! The rest he would bring and put near the window.

"After five-and-a-half months, when I came out of seclusion, I went to the women Mandali and said, 'How much love you have for Me?! I told you to send two cups of coffee, but you were sending only one.

"Mehera was amazed. She was the one who measured out the two cups of coffee and put them in the flask. She said to Me, 'Baba, according to Your instructions, we were sending two cups, not less and not more! We feel very much amazed. Why did You get only one cup?

"I called Lahu and asked him, 'Tell me the truth. What were you doing when you were bringing coffee for Me?’

"And he told Me, 'On the way, while taking Your coffee, I would sit under a tree and drink one cup of Your coffee. The rest, of course, I would place near the window.'

"'I was taking your prasad for five-and-a-half months,' I said to Lahu. 'But never do such a thing anymore.’

(Bhau Messages)




(School friend of meher Baba)



Another of Merwan's close friends was a Christian boy named Louis Vagus, who was also strong and a good athlete. Louis was very fond of Merwan and, like Baily, was fiercely loyal to him. (Lord Meher-p-102-1905)





A singer, Mahadev Bua of Wardha, performed kirtan, which Baba much appreciated. At one point, Baba dictated:

The highest state of Experience is to become God and see Him in everything. Miracles do not consist in bringing the dead to life but in becoming dead to the ego-life. Miracles are mere small illusions in this great illusion called creation and the world. (Lord Meher-p-3233-1952)





A wealthy Mohammedan lady



In 1938, after   birthday celebration, wealthy Mohammedan lady, named Maimuna, who was a friend of the Jessawala family, had accompanied them from Nagpur. Before starting on the journey she had said, "You are going for Meher Baba's darshan on a full stomach, but I will eat only after having his darshan." She fasted the entire way to Ahmednagar and ate after taking Baba's darshan.

Baba would treat her kindly, and once he sent for her. When Gaimai went to bring the woman, Maimuna told her, "It is my prayer time. Tell Baba I will come to him after offering namaz."

Gaimai informed Baba, and he remarked, "See what firm determination is! She has come to the One to whom she is offering namaz, but when he sends for her, she is too busy praying! Had she come, she would have been lucky. But she is a slave to her fancies, and that prevents her from being a slave to me!"  (Lord Meher-p-1902-1938)




(An astrologer & his wife)




Maliya Rudhyar, the astrologer Dane Rudhyar's wife, was touring India and came to Nasik on the 31s March 1937, The Rudhyars had met Baba in Boston in 1931 and again in Hollywood in 1932. During Maliya's meeting, Baba told her, "Bravery and strength overcome all difficulties. Be firm, do not despair and keep longing. It is there in you. You are the infinite universe, but you must discover it and find that out. I will help you, always.

"Places and physical conditions do not matter where longing and determination are deep and strong. It is not a question of patient, endless walking, for example. It matters how and where you walk — in which direction. You may walk and walk for years, but if it is in the wrong direction it is a waste of energy and time. If you go further away, of course you do come back when the time comes, but it is such a long process."

Maliya was invited to stay in the Nasik ashram and she did for a few weeks before returning to America.

On 1st April 1937, Baba gave a very interesting discourse to the Westerners, explaining that they should always think of him in everything they did:

I may want anything from you. I may instruct some of you to nurse and wash the lepers and look after them. I may order some to meditate on me, or wander about like sadhus, or dance and sing with joy, or become like skeletons, or grow big and fat. But whatever it may be, all should work for me. This new work will start in April.

Meditation means all the time — always thinking of Baba, letting nothing distract you.

It is your doing it for me that counts; otherwise, we have millions of hospitals and billions of nurses to call upon. But I want you to work for me, beg for me, write for me, and mediate on me. When you think of these lepers as Baba, you will wash them with love. Baba is all in all, so wash them with the same love as you wash my hair. Then only do you express the St. Francis state. (Lord Meher-p-1813-1937)






In year 1954, Baba & group entered a policeman's compound, where three small girls gave a dance performance. Baba distributed prasad to about 200 of the villagers, most of whom had been students in the Hazrat Babajan High School. During this period, several of them had taken leave from their jobs to offer their services for the meetings. They had been hired to work at Meherabad for a month. Lala was cooking the mandali's food, and Babu Kamble was kept to prepare Baba's food. Bapu mistri (carpenter) was keeping an eye on outside activities, and Mamu, Gafoor and others also contributed their services. (Lord Meher-p-3614-1954)




(Sister of Kaka Baria)


On 23 rd May 1929, Baba and the mandali left Quetta by train, and reached Bombay on the morning of the 26th. Kaka Baria, his sister Banubai and her husband Manekji Confectioner were waiting at the station to receive them. (Lord Meher-p-1027-1929)

One day Kaka Baria, his sister Banubai, and her husband Manekji were sitting beside Baba in the Talatis' living room. One person who had come for darshan brought in a basket of figs. Baba instructed Manekji to wash the fruit. When Manekji returned, Baba motioned to the gathering, "I will throw the figs to you all, so be alert and try to catch them." Baba would look in one direction and throw the figs in another. During this enjoyable occasion, Banubai told Baba, "Throw one to Manekji. Don't forget to let him have your prasad."

Baba threw many figs, but none to Manekji. One last fig was left. Baba raised it, looked at it and ate it himself. Banubai stared at Baba in disappointment, pained at not finding her husband favoured, but Manekji solved the mystery himself.

He later confessed to his wife that while washing the figs, he had eaten one without asking Baba. "Baba was sitting in the living room," he told his wife, "but I am now fully convinced that his eyes are everywhere." (Lord Meher-p-1081-1929)

On Saturday, 18 October 1930, Baba left Bijapur for Nasik. After only one day, they went on to Bombay where they stayed for twelve days at 294, Frere Road in the apartment of Banubai Confectioner and her husband, Manekji. Banubai apartment was one floor above the apartment of Alamai Katrak.

Alamai would come upstairs daily to cook for Baba. One day Banubai got upset with Alamai and made her leave the kitchen. Baba saw her quietly shedding tears in the corner. He approached her and remarked, "You have a very big heart and a good head, while Banubai, unfortunately, has a small one of both. She has no sense! So don't let her affect you in any way. Even by sitting here, you are feeding me in a way in which Banubai could never do, even if she cooks for me. Do you know why? Because I am hungry for love, and you feed me with it!" (Lord Meher-p-1202-1930)

Arriving in India, Baba, Chanji and Agha ail reached Bombay on 1st January 1932. At Ballard Pier, Baba was welcomed home with heartfelt joy his followers. Baba was taken to Kaka Baria's sister and brother-in-law Manekji and Banubai Confectioner's apartment on Frere Road.  (Lord Meher-p-1343-1931)

On 24th March 1932, Baba sailed from Bombay for England with his small group of six mandali, along with 800 other passengers, on the Italian ship Conte Rosso.

Memo and Mani had come to Bombay to bid Baba farewell, but Baba's father Bobo was indisposed. However, before Baba's departure, he had stopped by the family's house in Poona; Approximately 150 of Baba's lovers gave him a hearty and loving send-off on the docks at Ballard Pier. Banubai and Manekji Confectioner were among other followers from Bombay, Poona and Nasik.( Lord Meher-p-1363-1932)

After a ten-day journey by ship “Victoria” Baba and his group arrived in Bombay on Friday, 4th August 1933. After seeing Manekji and Banubai Confectioner and having dinner Baba left by train for Nasik. (Lord meher-p-1538-1933)

In year 1934, Baba wished to leave the heat of Meherabad and go into seclusion on Nandi Hill near Bangalore. Baba and the mandali left for Bombay on 15th April 1934. Baba stayed with Kaka's sister and her husband, Banubai and Manek Confectioner. (Lord meher-p-1594-1934)

In year 1935, Baba decided to make a brief visit to Bombay on 3rd May. Accompanied by Gustadji and Jalbhai, Baba arrived by the Punjab Mail and stayed at Banubai Confectioner's apartment on Frere Road. (Lord Meher-p-1676-1935)

In 2nd June 1935, Baba left Bombay and went to Poona to meet his mother. Baba left for Talegaon where Ramjoo's family had taken up residence. After this visit, Baba went back to Bombay on 4th June and stayed again with Kaka Baria's sister Banubai.(Lord Meher-p-1679-1935)

14 December 1935, Baba, along with Jalbhai and Kalingad, went to Bombay. They stayed at Banubai Confectioner's for a week. Alamai Katrak, who lived downstairs from Banubai used to stand on guard duty by the door as she had orders from Baba not to let anyone enter. (Lord Meher-p-1694-1935)

Baba left Meherabad for Bombay on 6th March 1938. Baba and mandali halted at Poona for lunch with Memo and Beheram's family at Baba House. They reached Bombay in the evening and stayed at Banubai Confectioner's. (Lord Meher-p-1903-1964)

Baba left Meherabad for Ranchi on Wednesday, 3 July 1940, by train, Banubai was one who accompanied Baba among other women mandali and several women servants. (Lord Meher-p-2116-1940)

In year 1941, Baba and mandali discussed their upcoming journey to Quetta. It was decided to go there in the Blue Bus and cars. There was a discussion about packing, and Rano, who had been doing this duty all along, since the start of the Blue Bus tours, said she would continue. After everything was settled, Baba joked:

Six of you will die. With Silla we will bury her fan; with Banubai her snuff-box; with Norina her typewriter; and with Nadia her notebook. You will die in pairs — Masi and Kakubai; Kharmen Masi and Banu; Norina and Elizabeth! (Lord Meher-p-2186-1941)

On Saturday, 15th December 1945, Baba left Pasarni for Meherabad, with the men and women mandali, and they arrived in the evening. For the next ten days, the mandali were preoccupied with making arrangements to celebrate Mehera's birthday. Lovers from Bombay and Poona had been invited and they arrived on the 23 rd including Banubai Confectioner. (Lord Meher-p- 2515-1945)

Her name was drawn up by Baba in the list of 37 departed women. A poor man was then brought forward and Baba bowed down to him, as the following invocation was recited: "O God! By bowing down to this man, I bow down to these living ones." Baba then handed him the love-gift of Rs.51. (lord Meher-p-3022-1951)






A devoted professional singer from Poona named Master Krishna came to Panchgani and performed for Baba that day for four hours in the night. (Lord meher-p-1174-1956)

From early morning on, 14th January 1956, a large crowd of several thousand gathered and waited for the darshan to begin. Many lovers from far distances such as Nagpur, Andhra, Hamirpur, Dehra Dun and Bombay had also come. Baba reached the place in the morning.

Bhajan and qawaali music went on throughout the day, and a renowned classical singer from Poona named Master Krishna, and also his daughter, entertained the Divine Beloved. Master Krishna had been in Baba's contact for nearly 30 years, since the time he had first sung in front of Baba at Meherabad during Baba's birthday program in 1929. Four years after this, he performed in Nasik at Baba's brother Beheram's wedding, and again in Nasik during the massive birthday celebration of 1937. After nearly 20 years, he was again given the opportunity of performing before the Lord, and Baba was very pleased with him. (Lord Meher-p-3908-1956)







A devotee in Sholapur named Maniben E. Parakh was a singer and musician. In November 1963, she sent an invitation to Baba from the musical Artists' Union on its silver jubilee. In response, Baba sent her this message on the 11th:

If, besides being competent in her art, the artist has the devotion of Saint Mira for her Beloved [Lord Krishna], she may truly be said to be singing to God. I send my blessing of love to all lovers of the art of singing. (Lord Meher-p-5049-1963)












(Daughter of Minoo Bopai Desai)




On 1st June 1948, Baba and the women were driven to Meherabad. Baba got out at lower Meherabad and the women were driven up the hill. The opening ceremony for the new hall at lower Meherabad took place by Baba taking his seat inside and the mandali performing arti before him. Navjot ceremony Meher Desai was performed by Kaikobad on 1st June 1948. (Lord Meher-p- 2648-1948)

Bapai Desai's daughter Meher had passed her inter-science exam but had not been able to gain admittance to medical school. Baba advised her, "Take the Bachelor of Science course and then apply to medical school. If you don't become a doctor, I will not see your face again."

All thought Baba was joking, but he said, "I am not kidding. I say this seriously."

Meher began weeping, then uttered, "If I do not get accepted to medical school, I will never have Baba's darshan. What an unbearable punishment!"

Baba asked, "Why are you crying and afraid? Try and see what happens." Accordingly, after attaining her Bachelor of Science degree, Meher applied and was accepted to medical school and became a doctor.

On another occasion, Bapai Desai's husband Minoo had come with his wife and daughter Meher Desai to Poona. The darshan was scheduled to start at 3:00 P.M., so all three were standing outside by the gate. Bapai had recently recovered from an operation for cancer and, being weak, was unable to stand for a long time in the sun. The men were allowed to come inside first and Minoo went in.

Baba asked him, "Where are Bapai and Meher?" Minoo replied that they were standing outside near the gate. Baba reacted angrily. "Do you have any sense? Bapai is still recovering from her operation and you make her stand in the sun? You go stand by the gate, and send them inside!"

Eruch spoke up in Minoo's defense, "Minoo is not to blame, Baba. Three o'clock was the time fixed for the women to come, so how could Minoo bring them in against your order?"

"Whether it is his fault or not," Baba insisted, "When I say so, it is his mistake!" Lord Meher-p-4525/6-1959)

In 1968, at one point, Baba called Bapai and her daughter Meher Desai of Bombay to his room. Meher had become a doctor according to Baba's wish and she wanted to stay in Meherazad permanently in his service. Baba informed her, "Carry on for the time being in what you are doing; we shall see later on." Baba allowed her to go abroad for further studies, if she wished. (Lord Meher-p-5380-1968)





Mehernath Kalchuri is a Trustee of the Avatar Meher Baba Trust, and the son of Baba’s Mandali and poet-author Bhau Kalchuri.

Mehernath was born in Nagpur in 1953, and had frequent contact with Beloved Baba and His Mandali at Meherabad, Meherazad, Ahmednagar and Guruprasad throughout his childhood.  He observed and absorbed so much in this spiritually-charged atmosphere.

Bhau’s wife and Mehernath’s mother, Rama Kalchuri, herself surrendered to Baba. She fully accepted Bhau’s discipleship to Him while Bhau served Baba as His night watchman, writer, and slave of the Divine God-Man.   As Baba did for other families of His close ones, He took full responsibility for Bhau’s family and called Rama and her two children, Sheela and Mehernath, to live at the Family Quarters in Arangaon/Meherabad.  They later lived at Khushru Quarters (Avatar Meher Baba Trust Compound, Meher Nazar) in Ahmednagar under the care of Baba’s Mandali member and secretary, Adi K. Irani.

After Mehernath completed his education in Ahmednagar and became qualified as an advocate (lawyer), he chose to serve the Avatar Meher Baba Trust full-time rather than to take up private law practice.

While carrying out an extremely busy schedule of Trust work, Mehernath has given many talks to pilgrims at the Meher Pilgrim Centre in Meherabad and at the Ahmednagar Avatar Meher Baba Centre. In recent years, he has also traveled around India to speak at various Baba Centre functions.

Mehernath and his wife, Raj, came to the U.S.A. on 20th May, 2013 for their first time for the wedding of their nephew Adeem (son of Sheela and David Fenster.)   Accompanying them are their two sons Zubin and Jatin.

Mehernath loves to speak about his Beloved Meher Baba and was eager to visit Baba Centers and His lovers in America while he is there.  At short notice, many groups and Centers have lovingly arranged events, and a full itinerary has come together.  All are welcome at the events listed.

Mehernath will share stories of growing up in the “extended family” of Meher Baba and His Mandali, and will speak in English in his enthusiastic Baba-full story-telling style, laced with couplets from Kabir, Rumi, Jigar and other poets.


He was in contact with meher baba since his childhood being son of Babu Kalchuri A close disciple of Meher Baba and many time conversed with Baba in person. A brief account of his contact with baba is written below. in chronological order.

Rama, Sheela and Mehernath Kalchuri had moved into the Family Quarters on 21st May 1957, Rama's brother, Dhiraj, who, according to Baba's instructions, had brought them from (Lord Meher-p-4185-1957)

Baba went to visit Rama, Mehernath and Sheela Kalchuri as well as Jangle's family, in the Family Quarters.

He visited families of other disciples living on the hill, as well as the mandali in lower Meherabad. After discussing with other mandali about the sahavas program, he was driven back to Meherazad. (Lord Meher-p-4218-1957)

In 1958 sahwas, Rama Kalchuri came carrying Mehernath, who had a fever. Baba asked why she had brought the boy with such a high fever. She replied, "He was crying for your darshan so I had to bring him." Baba kissed the boy and also his sister Sheela, advising Rama to go home immediately, which she did. (Lord Meher-p-4332-1958)

In year 1960, Baba met with, and embraced everyone in the Family Quarters compound and then went to Rama Kalchuri's house. From there, he set out through the village, led by dancers expressing the immense joy in their hearts by excitedly leaping and jumping and beating the drums hung around their necks. Love, like an electric current, was running through the veins of their thin physiques, and they experienced extraordinary energy. Baba was followed by his men mandali and the rest of the villagers. Close behind Baba, little Mehernath and Sheela were carefully collecting the dust on which Baba had walked. The women of the village had laid out their best saris for Baba to tread upon, and he stepped on the threshold of every house, thus fulfilling the long-cherished desire of each family. (Lord Meher-p-4623-1960)

Mehernath used to call Bhau "Babuji." On this occasion or another, when they came, Pendu began teasing Sheela, saying, "Babuji is mine!"

Reacting upset, Sheela retorted, "No, Babuji is mine!" and she caught hold of Bhau's arm. Baba wanted to know what the commotion was about, and Pendu told him.

Baba remarked to Sheela, "Now I have come to a decision: Babuji is yours and Mehernath is mine."

"No!" Sheela protested. "I want Babuji and Baba both!"

"If you want Babuji, how could you have Baba?"

"Then I want only Baba!"

Smiling, Baba teased, "It has been decided; now don't worry!"

Baba asked Mehernath, "Do you love Babuji or your mother?"

Mehernath said, "I don't know Babuji; I love Ma."

Baba asked Sheela the same question and she replied, "Babuji!"

Baba smiled and remarked, "Now think it over and say it again." Sheela repeated that she loved her father more. Baba asked Mehernath, "And you? What do you say? Whom do you love more?"

He replied, "I love Baba!"

Baba embraced both children, and Mehernath told him, "My birthday is on October 22. Please call me to Meherazad."

Baba gestured, "I will have to call you, because you love me so much!"

Bhau's family was extremely fortunate to be in Baba's contact, and it is only his compassion that kept them near him. For his own reasons, Baba always kept a few children near him: in the late 1950s and 1960s Sheela and Mehernath Kalchuri. (Lord Meher-p-4771-1961)

Rama, Sheela and Mehernath Kalchuri were called to Meherazad periodically during this time. On 22nd October 1961, as promised, on Mehernath's eighth birthday, Baba called him, Rama and Sheela to Meherazad.  He embraced first Mehernath and then Rama and Sheela. He asked him, "What are you holding in your hands?"

Mehernath said, "A shawl for Babuji."

Baba remarked, "You say you love me but you have not brought me anything. This shows that you love Babuji more."

Mehernath quickly said, "Mother has brought this shawl, not me. I would have brought one only for you, Baba." His answer pleased Baba, and every year thereafter he would call the family to Meherazad on Mehernath's birthday. (Lord Meher-p-4776-1961)

In December 1962, Baba decided that Bhau's family — Rama, Sheela and Mehernath — should move to Ahmednagar where the schools were better. They were brought to Meherazad on the 23rd morning and Baba discussed the idea with them. Adi was tasked with finding them a place to live. They were taken to see several possible rentals, but none proved suitable. In the end, it was decided they would move into Khushru Quarters, in a few rooms.

At Meherazad, after joking with the Kalchuri children and giving them chocolates, Baba asked Rama, "Why aren't you happy?" "I am happy," she insisted. "You have called us here, so why shouldn't I be happy?"

Baba asked, "How is Mehernath's health?"

"He has some trouble passing urine. It comes haltingly and there is a burning sensation while urinating."

"Then why were you hiding it from me? Don't I already know it? Why should there be any curtain in front of me? I have kept you in Meherabad because I love you." (Lord Meher-p-4903-1962)

Mehernath Kalchuri's tenth birthday (on the 22nd) was celebrated on 21st October 1963. Rama, Sheela and Mehernath were called to Meherazad on the 21st to be with Baba and have lunch with him. (Lord Meher-p-5047-1963)

On 1st April 1964, at 7:30 A.M., Baba left Meherazad for Poona with both the men and women mandali. On the way, Baba with four of men mandali, (first visited the home of Lata Limaye

in Ahmednagar. And two other Baba lovers, Raghunath and Janki Patwardhan, lived next door and requested Baba to visit their home as well, which he did. From there Baba went to Khushru Quarters, where almost 100 Ahmednagar lovers had collected Rama, Sheela and Mehernath Kalchuri.

Mehernath had made a one room centre. Baba first went to the Kalchuris' residence, where he cut a ribbon strung across the door of Mehernath's one-room center. Baba went inside it, sat down and asked Mehernath, "How many members does your center have?" Rama interjected, explaining to Baba that Mehernath did not allow anyone else to enter that room. (Lord Meher-p-5066-1964)

22nd October 1964, was Mehernath Kalchuri's birthday. Unlike every other year, Baba had not called him to Meherazad, but sent him his love through a note from Bhau, and Rama sent bhujias for all at Meherazad.  (Lord Meher-p-5094-1964)

In year 1968, Baba would often call Rama, Sheela and Mehernath Kalchuri to Meherazad on Sundays for lunch. They were brought to Meherazad on 31 July. Sheela and Rama would eat with Baba and the women, and Mehernath with the men. (Lord Meher-p-5243-1968)

During this period, Sheela and Mehernath would take turns going to Meherazad for lunch on Sundays, riding with Waman Padale on his scooter. Baba called Mehernath twice in November During his last visit, Baba asked Mehernath to tell a story and then massage his legs. Kissing him and handing him prasad, Baba remarked, "Mehernath, you will not have such a chance again to be with me. It is your good fortune that I have called you here twice this month. Hereafter, I will be in seclusion and you will not have such a chance to see me." (Lord Meher-p-5371-1968)






(Son of Jim Mistry Rhoda)



Jim Mistry's son, Meherwan, once came to Poona to see Baba. He was staying in a hotel and before going to Guruprasad, he went to purchase a movie ticket, thinking he would go to a movie that evening. At Guruprasad, he sat near Baba, who instructed him, "This evening go to the Poona Center." Meherwan agreed conscious of the ticket in his pocket. Baba did not say anything, and Meherwan went to the Center.

The next day when he came, Baba asked him, "Did you go to the Poona Center last night?" Meherwan replied that he had. "You didn't go to the movies?" Surprised, Meherwan replied no. Baba remarked, "I am pleased with you. I know everything. Continue to obey me like this." (Lord Meher-p-4522-1959)

Jim Mistry’s eldest son, Meherwan, 16, passed his Cambridge exam at this time, and a telegram was sent to Baba about it. Baba replied, "I am very happy that you stood first-class, and I will be more happy if you stand first in my love."

Once when Meherwan had come to Guruprasad for Baba's darshan, Baba was sitting quietly in the hall with only a few persons around him. All of a sudden he remarked to Meherwan, "I am 100 percent God!" (Lord Meher-p-5154-1965)



(Brother of Eruch B. Jessawala)




Referring to Meherwan Jessawala, Baba complimented him, "He is Eruch's brother and My jewel, an original jewel. From head to foot he is Mine." (Lord Meher-p-4305-1958)

Rano and Naja were staying in Bindra House, where Naja was cooking for Baba and the women mandali Meherwan B. Jessawala did not eat chocolates, cakes or anything with least content of alcohol. Rano became ill in May, as did Pappa Jessawala and Roshan's baby. On the night of 28 May, Rano was stricken with a severe attack of gastroenteritis, with constant loose motions and vomiting. Meherwan Jessawala brought a female doctor who prescribed medicine for her, and Meherwan did not get any sleep the whole night.

Before leaving, He told Meherwan, "You did not sleep last night, so tonight go to bed at ten o'clock. This is My order."

Meanwhile, Meherwan was at his office nearby, and when Baba returned to Guruprasad he had the car stopped outside the office. Meherwan was summoned and Baba again reminded him to be sure to sleep at 10:00 P.M.

That night, exactly at ten o'clock when Meherwan was about to go to bed, Pappa shouted for him. Meherwan was in a quandary; Baba had ordered him to go to bed at ten o'clock, and now this unexpected situation had arisen.

Meherwan lay down quickly to fulfill Baba's order and then ran to his father's bedside. He found Pappa breathing with difficulty and sweating profusely. Anxious about Pappa's condition, Meherwan went out to bring the doctor, but it was too late. Pappa's time had come. He died of a pulmonary embolism at the age of 74 with the word Baba on his lips.

Guruprasad was informed and Baba sent Nariman and Meherjee to Bindra House. According to Baba's instructions, Eruch stayed at Guruprasad. Pappa was merged forever in Baba's Ocean of Divinity. Meherwan was not upset over his demise — he was worried about his own disobedience to Baba's instruction.  (Lord Meher-p-4550/1-1969)




Meherwan B. Jessawala came to live with mandali as a child with his family. When he grew up Baba sent him to live in Poona. There after he shouldered family responsibilities with short stays with mandali.

Some of important life time episodes and his conversation with Meher Baba are produced below.

Once, Nariman Dadachanji brought beer at Meherazad and asked for Beloved Baba’s permission to serve it to Mandali and Baba gave him permission to do so. Meherwan Jessawala (Eruch’s younger brother) was visiting Meherazad at that time, so natural he was included in the treat. Nariman gave beer to all thee Mandali and Meherwan Jessawalas in his room as the villagers and workers were not supposed to know that alcohol was being served. After dirking everybody retired to their respective rooms at night.

Next day Beloved Baba asked Mandali if they enjoyed the cool bear. When enquired specifically from Aloba to which Aloba replied “yes, very much!” Then Baba asked Meherwan whether he liked the drink, and Meherwan replied that he did not like it but made him dizzy. Hearing this, Beloved Baba instructed Meherwan that in future no more alcohol for him, and this should be treated as His order. Ever practical Eruch, asked Baba as to what about some medicines where alcohol; is present. To this Baba responded that in medicines alcohol was allowed and that there is no problem. Meherwan was very young when Baba had given this order to him. Throughout his life Meherwan did not eat any chocolates, cakes and any other dish with even a dash of alcohol. Even the medicines containing alcohol were rarely consumed by him.

During one of Darshan program, someone asked Baba as how anyone can recognize a saint. Baba replied pointing toward corner of Guruprasad hall. In the corner a young Meherwan Jessawala was sitting quietly. And he indeed is a saint as pointed by beloved Baba.

Naja Irani was Baba’s Cousin. Baba once asked her read the letter which He asked her to write his family and friend, in presence of everyone. She was reluctant to do so. Baba kept her coaxing her and finally she had to read letter. She began the letter as “Dear Saint Meherwan” and suddenly there was a burst of laughs and giggles. Immediately Baba turned towards the ladies and said that Meherwan is indeed a Saint and everyone turned serious and quietly listened to the contents’ of the letter.

Referring to Meherwan Jessawala, Baba complimented him, "He is Eruch's brother and my jewel, an original jewel. From head to foot he is mine."

Before leaving Meherabad, Baba sent away the boys, Meherwan Jessawala to Akbar Press to stay with his relatives and Dadi Kerawala to his family, telling them, "I will call you later." (Lord Meher-p-1961-1934)

Meanwhile the Jessawalas' young son Meherwan had proven to be a burden to his relatives at Akbar Press where Baba had placed him before leaving on the tour. Gaimai's sister Shirin's husband Jehangir Damania would continuously write to Gaimai to take Meherwan back, claiming he was too much of a nuisance to look after. Gaimai seemed anxious one day and Baba asked her the reason.

She said, "For us, you are put to so much trouble. Now there is Meherwan to worry about. We have come to you with only problems."

Baba asked, "Do you love Meherwan or Me?"

Gaimai replied, "To dedicate my one Meherwan at your feet is not enough; even were I to surrender a thousand sons, it would be nothing."

Her reply made Baba happy and He consoled her, "As you have come to Me leaving everything behind, what trouble it will be to Me?" Then He said, "You are not worthy of being Eruch's mother, but you are worthy of being My mother!" (Lord Meher-p-1964/5-1934)

Baba permitted the Zoroastrian thread ceremony of Meherwan and Sam to be performed on Sunday, 9 April 1939, Pappa Jessawala came for the occasion and had the ceremony performed at a local agyari by its resident priest. Masaji prepared a feast for the 200 attendees. The two boys were taken to meet Baba after the ceremony. The priest too wished to meet privately with Baba but Baba, for his own reasons, refused to see him. (Although Baba granted interviews to some of the sincere guests the next day.)  (Lord Meher-p-1999-1939)

Around Christmas and New Year's Eve, each group put on a short skit. In the play, Meherwan Jessawala was made a butler, and Mani his Muslim boss. But, instead of bringing the tea tray and saluting Mani, little Meherwan took the tray to Baba and saluted Him, which made Baba laugh so hard, He was pink in the face. Meherwan then proceeded to upturn the tea tray he was supposed to serve and fumbled his lines, which he recited off cue, despite what Mani had taught him. (Lord Meher-p-2062-1939)

In the train on the way to Lonavla, there was a frightening incident, as Meherwan Jessawala relates: "We were all in a compartment when Baba suddenly became very pale, unable to lift His hands and feet. His eyes were open, but He appeared totally drained of blood, and as if He was passing away. He lay there helpless, unable to move and totally limp."

All rushed forward to revive Him. Rano administered a few drops of Coramine (a central nervous system stimulant) and within a few minutes Baba recovered. Meherwan concluded, "During times of great internal working, Baba would suffer such spells." (Lord Meher-p-2297-1942)

Baba also appeared surprised at Padri's decision of "No." to join new Life. The mandali too were surprised. Some speculated that Padri had come to some sort of limit of his endurance, and he realized that joining the New Life was going to be a very taxing thing. As Meherwan Jessawala explained, "Padri had passed through many such 'new lives' with Baba in his old days, and he knew the rigors of what was coming, so probably he must have felt that he wouldn't be able to please Baba as he would want to, so better to say 'No' than to be a burden to Him. In any case, Padri's saying 'No' was a great surprise to everybody, including Baba Himself. Although, of course, Baba being all knowing knew what was to come, but on our level He was both surprised and a bit disappointed."  (Lord Meher-p-2764-1949)


In 1951, Meherwan was in college at the time, studying for his Bachelor of Science degree. The day of his final examination was approaching, and while searching for bungalows he had no time to study. As a reward for their success in finding a suitable residence, Baba made an exception to his ban on visitors and sent for Pappa, Meherwan and Gadekar.

Meherwan had not seen Baba for more than a year. He was shocked by Baba's condition: "I had never seen Baba so physically depleted. He was in a terrible state, so thin and frail that his neck was like a chicken's, and He had to be supported to walk. Because of piles trouble He could not even sit, and for the duration of our visit, Baba stood.  He was totally emaciated. Yet the smile He gave to greet us was His usual one and He embraced us."

Baba expressed His pleasure at the procurement of Guruprasad, and then asked Meherwan, "When is your exam?"

In a few days," he replied.

"Will you pass?" asked Baba.

"Of course," Meherwan assured him.

Eruch interrupted, "He has not studied at all, Baba! He has not had time. So how can he pass?"

Therefore, Baba ordered Meherwan, "All right, now start studying." Only four or five days were left, but Meherwan concentrated and passed his final exam. (Lord Meher-p-2975-1951)

On 18th June 1955, the following men arrived in Satara for the cricket match. Meherwan Jessawala participated.

A Match was played at Udtara a distance of twelve miles. Eruch drove Baba in Meherjee's car to Udtara, near the road, as they were leaving Udtara, Baba had remarked, "Remember this place." The men did not understand why Baba had said this. But they learned the significance of Baba's words a year and a half later, when Meher Baba's second automobile accident occurred near this spot.

Baba convened a small group meeting in Rosewood in April 1955 to announce and discuss certain plans, including his intention to go into seclusion for three months. Close ones in Baba's contact including Meherwan Jessawala. Some from different centers in India were also called.  (Lord Meher-p-3688-1955)

After road accident in 1956, Baba did not like staying at Dr. Bansod's nursing home — it was too small and he was uncomfortable — and he said he would not stay there longer than necessary. So Meherwan Jessawala and Meherjee hurried to find a suitable house in Poona. They managed to rent a small, quiet house near Meherjee's own home, a bungalow named Silver Oaks, at 23 Salisbury Park Road. Baba was taken there on the 11th afternoon. A special bed was kept for him, and Dr. Bansod and a civil surgeon named Dr. Virkar put His leg in traction. But, that evening, Baba again had severe pains and spasms, and the doctor had to be called in the night. (Lord Meher-p-4138-1956)


Referring to Meherwan Jessawala, Baba complimented him, "He is Eruch's brother and My jewel, an original jewel. From head to foot he is Mine." (Lord Meher-p-4305-1958)

Rano and Naja were staying in Bindra House, where Naja was cooking for Baba and the women mandali, Meherwan B. Jessawala did not eat chocolates, cakes or anything with least content of alcohol.  Rano became ill in May, as did Pappa Jessawala and Roshan's baby. On the night of 28 May, Rano was stricken with a severe attack of gastroenteritis, with constant loose motions and vomiting. Meherwan Jessawala brought a female doctor who prescribed medicine for her, and Meherwan did not get any sleep the whole night.

Before leaving, He told Meherwan, "You did not sleep last night, so tonight go to bed at ten o'clock. This is My order."

Meanwhile, Meherwan was at his office nearby, and when Baba returned to Guruprasad he had the car stopped outside the office. Meherwan was summoned and Baba again reminded him to be sure to sleep at 10:00 P.M.

That night, exactly at ten o'clock when Meherwan was about to go to bed, Pappa shouted for him. Meherwan was in a quandary; Baba had ordered him to go to bed at ten o'clock, and now this unexpected situation had arisen.

Meherwan lay down quickly to fulfill Baba's order and then ran to his father's bedside. He found Pappa breathing with difficulty and sweating profusely. Anxious about Pappa's condition, Meherwan went out to bring the doctor, but it was too late. Pappa's time had come. He died of a pulmonary embolism at the age of 74 with the word Baba on his lips.

Guruprasad was informed and Baba sent Nariman and Meherjee to Bindra House. According to Baba's instructions, Eruch stayed at Guruprasad. Pappa was merged forever in Baba's Ocean of Divinity. Meherwan was not upset over his demise — he was worried about his own disobedience to Baba's instruction.  (Lord Meher-p-4550/1-1969)

On Sunday morning, 1 October 1961, Habib Qawaal came to Meherazad at 9:00 A.M. and sang before Baba. Baba enjoyed his performance. A few persons from Ahmednagar had been called, as well as Meherwan Jessawala, who arrived that day from Poona and stayed overnight at Meherazad.  (Lord Meher-p-4775-1961)

Soon after their arrival, on the evening of 3 April, Pendu had much pain passing urine and was admitted to the Jehangir Nursing Home. He had to have a prostate operation, but when the surgery failed to relieve his condition, he was operated upon a second time. This operation failed as well, but fortunately the third attempt (on 9 May) was successful. As Meherwan Jessawala pointed out, "It was so obvious that such a capable surgeon would not fail three times. All these procedures were extremely painful for Pendu, and it looked as if Baba was making Pendu share in the suffering that was always the lot of the mandali who were with Baba.” (Lord Meher-p-4793-1962)

On Tuesday, 23 October 1962, Meherwan Jessawala with others was coordinating the Westerners' stay in different hotels. (Lord Meher-p-4823-1962)

Mohan-Saigal gave a performance at Meherazad from 1:00 until 5:00 P.M. on Saturday, 28 September 1963, a wonderful musical feast of ghazals. Gajwani, Siganporia and Eruch Patel from Bombay, and Meherwan Jessawala and many from Ahmednagar were present, including all those from Upper and lower Meherabad — about 105 persons. Baba had enjoyed Mohan's singing in Guruprasad and was delighted to have him at Meherazad. Lata and the Khilnani boys also sang, and Dhake recited a Marathi prayer he had composed. (Lord Meher-p-5044-19632)

At Guruprasad, Meherwan Jessawala presented Baba with the special folding toilet seat he had designed and had made for Baba's convenience, according to Goher's instructions. Baba was quite pleased with the device. (Lord Meher-p-5126-1962)

On 7th February 1966, Meherwan Jessawala arrived Poona for his annual stay at Meherazad for Baba's birthday. While he was there, Meherwan would help his brother Eruch with the correspondence, which always increased at this time. Sarosh and Viloo were also permitted to see Baba for half an hour on the 7th. (Lord Meher-p-5206-1966)

Sometimes the work would be so intense that Baba said He would feel faint. Bhau was instructed to tie a sash around Baba's waist and around the chair to prevent Him from falling off. As Meherwan Jessawala recalled, after one of his stays, "It was tremendous work that was being done. Soon after the work was over and we would be called, we could see the physical part of it. Baba's body was so fatigued and tired out, as if all energy had been drained from Him. He would be covered with sweat and very tired." (Lord Meher-p-5304-1967)

On Sunday, 13 October 1968, at 8:30 A.M., Baba held a meeting to inform His main workers of his decision to give darshan the following year from 10 April to 10 June 1969 at Guruprasad. Besides the resident men mandali, Meherwan Jessawala from Meherabad was called to Meherazad. (Lord Meher-p-5357-1968)




(A police officer)




One senior police officer, named Mehta, came to see Baba at the Ice Factory Bungalow on 5 August 1948. Mehta, who was spiritually-minded, was a relative of someone who had gifted a plot of land in Ahmedabad to the Ramakrishna Ashram and had read extensively through spiritual literature. After discussing general topics, Baba asked Mehta lovingly, "What have you gleaned after reading so much? What would you say is the substance of all the spiritual literature you've read?"

"Love and service," Mehta replied.

"Yes, it is the most valuable thing," Baba agreed.

"I also meditate," he informed Baba.

"In spiritual matters, love and service to humanity supersede meditation," Baba explained. "It is a type of spirituality that comes down from its supreme height to the daily human routine and everyday life. This is where its manifestation is the highest; it is the most practical." (Lord Meher-2664-1948)





(Son of Sarosh and Viloo's Irani)




Merwan stayed in England and was married To Anita. Some of his contact with Meher are written as under:

Merwan returned from England and was to be married to Anita, his Swiss fiancée. One day, he and Sarosh came to Guruprasad, and Merwan said, "Baba, I want your blessings on my wedding day."

Baba gestured, "Granted," and instructed that after the wedding in Ahmednagar, the bride and groom, and Sarosh and Viloo should come to Guruprasad to see Him.

The wedding was held on Thursday, 27 June 1963. That day, Baba asked Eruch to phone Sarosh and find out how the preparations were going.

Irritated, Sarosh shouted over the telephone, "Tell Baba it is raining cats and dogs here! We've had to change the wedding arrangements to inside." When Eruch related this, Baba just listened and did not comment.

The next morning, the wedding party came to Guruprasad. Among those seated before Baba were Adi and Rhoda Dubash. After the usual greetings, Baba asked Viloo and Sarosh about the wedding. Viloo complained, "Baba, it rained so much!"

Baba replied, "Well, your son asked for My blessing and I gave it to him."  (Lord Meher-p-5037/8-1963) Once Baba asked Anita, "Do you want to be one with God?"

Anita replied, "I just want to see you!"

Smilingly, Baba chided her, "How can you have two things — see Me here, and see Me as I really am?" He continued:

How very complicated a simple thing has been made! I am giving you a hint. The easiest way to achieve the Goal of life is to leave all and follow Me through love. I don't mean that you should leave your house and family and come here! Don't do that! (People laughed). I mean that you be in your house and with your family, but love me as I want you to love me — love Me above all. That is the simplest way.

Another hint. A still more simple way to attain God is to obey me. Obey me implicitly. Is it possible? That is simpler than the simplest thing! Try. If you try, I will help you.

It is because of love that I have drawn you all to Me. If I did not love you, you would not come to Me or care for me. It is not your love that has brought you to Me; it is My love that has drawn you to Me. Good old Margaret (Craske) she helped two other lovers to come to Me.

Anita, can you tear yourself out of yourself?

I remember an incident when I was a boy. There were four spiritually-minded Iranis who had read in books that one must renounce one's self. They decided the best way to lose themselves was to get intoxicated on wine. They started to drink and, for them, their experiences were wonderful. Near the tavern was a bullock cart. Trying to get rid of themselves, all four pulled hard and continually at the bullock cart in an attempt to tear themselves out of their selves and thus renounce themselves. By morning they were exhausted. They had lost body-consciousness. This is how they tried to renounce their physical selves. They only had books; they had no living guide.

"How will you renounce yourself, Anita?" Baba asked.

Anita said, "Through obedience to the Perfect Master."

Once you have determined to obey, you are no longer your own. But the slightest hypocrisy spoils your determination and makes the whole thing a farce. You must be honest and sincere in your obedience to the Perfect Master. It is not that easy. Only one rare one can do that. (Lord Meher-p-4840/41-1962)

Baba explained, "There is nothing like space consciousness. Here is an ant on the floor. You are all sitting on the same floor. The ant crawls up your body. But its consciousness is different from yours. What is the difference?"

Anita replied, "The ant is only conscious of its crawling, I am a little conscious of this room, but you are conscious of the whole universe."

Baba continued, "There is a world of difference between My infinite consciousness and your ant-like consciousness. You are all ants before Me in My consciousness. You are all crawling on My body! Although I am sitting here in the same room with you, we are really nowhere in space, just within God — neither up nor down, neither here nor there! You are ants, big ants, and you sting Me all the time!" (Lord Meher-p-4848-1962)




Also during 1925, Father of Mohan Shahane (Kaka) who was a resident of Ahmednagar and owned land near Arangaon often came to Meherabad for Baba's darshan. His son Mohan was suffering from a disease which was not being cured despite the best possible medical treatment. One day Shahane beseeched the Master about his son's affliction, and Baba advised him to keep his son at Meherabad where he would recover. Gradually Mohan did regain his health.

Baba loved Kaka Shahane's family very much and had accepted responsibility for the maintenance of the family and the education of the seven children. On 10 August, Mohan Shahane left the ashram to further his higher education. He and Gadekar had both been serving as teachers in the school. Baba did not wish Mohan to leave, but the young man was not deeply drawn to the spiritual life and wished to attend graduate school and pursue a Master's degree. He had only been staying in the ashram to fulfill his father's promise to Baba, which was that after Mohan's college graduation he would stay with Baba for six months, and that period had now expired. Baba revealed to Kaka Shahane, "If Mohan stays with me, he will become internationally famous," but Mohan decided to go his own way and left Baba for the rest of his life.

When Mohan was leaving, Baba turned to Chhagan and Padri and remarked sadly, "He will not see me again for 700 years." (Lord Meher-p-955-1928)




(An aunt of Khorshed)




In year 1932, Baba visited the house of the jeweler Kaikhushru Masa in Parel. Kaikhushru Masa was absent, but his wife Soonamasi and daughter Khorshed, along with an aunt Motibai, were having lunch. Mounting the stairs, without knocking, Baba entered their house and went straight into their kitchen, The Master was dressed in his usual attire — a long white shirt, white cotton pants and an Irani kerchief around his head. Seeing this stranger burst in upon them, the aunt exclaimed, "Who is this madcap?"

Soonamasi and Khorshed immediately recognized Baba, whom they had met in Sakori in May. Both received him with great reverence, while Motibai felt quite ashamed. Baba informed them that he was now residing in the city and said, "Tell Masa to come and see me at the Manzil early every morning, before going to his shop, and in the evening also. (Lord Meher-p-303-1922)





Motilal Mutha Diwan Bahadur’s bungalow in Satara had been rented for Baba and the women mandali

Diwan Bahadur Motilal Mutha's bungalow in Satara had been rented for Baba and the women mandali. Baba arrived in Satara on Sunday, 25 May 1947. (Lord Meher-p-2758-1947)





A religiously devout Parsi named Nadirsha Bharucha was a resident of Meherabad. He would regularly fast and do japa (mental repetitions of a prayer or the name of God).

On 25th April 1924, Baba gathered the mandali and told each to sing a song. Everyone did so, and He then asked Nadirsha to sing. Nadirsha replied indignantly, "I never go to plays or movies, and I don't know how to sing. Kindly excuse me."

Hearing this, Baba became very angry and told him, "Have you such a low opinion of these men that you compare them to a troupe of performers! Have you ever thought of their renunciation? They have renounced their own pleasure to keep my pleasure, and do all work according to my wish. Is there any austerity or penance which is greater, or can compare with this? Don't have such foolish ideas about them!"

Embarrassed, Nadirsha sought Baba's pardon, and the singing continued until nine at night. Even those who did not have good voices had to sing, and it was amusing to listen to their off-key efforts! (Lord Meher-p-509-1924)

From the 11th of July 1926, Chanji had been maintaining a separate diary of daily events at Meherabad Nadirsha Bharucha had done for a certain number of days each.  Thus, it is mainly due to Chanji's efforts that the record of Meher Baba's activities is bountiful. (Lord Meher-p-706-1926)




On 30th April 1924, Gulmai returned to Ahmednagar and went immediately to see the Master. She presented him with a sadra — a white robe made of thin muslin material — which became Meher Baba's standard dress from that day on. During their conversation at the Jhopdi, Khushrow Cursetji Nagarwalla, a wealthy orthodox Zoroastrian from Ahmednagar, arrived at Meherabad with another person.

Without consulting anyone, Khushrow walked straight toward Baba's Jhopdi. Barsoap told him to take off his shoes before entering the hut, but disregarding him, he went straight before Baba and asked, "What yoga do you practice?"

"Ghamela yoga," Baba stated.

Khushrow then asked, "Why do you wear long hair and go about naked?"

Baba discreetly pointed to his boxer shorts under his pajamas and then, pointing at Khushrow's English suit and hat, asked, "Why do you put on a hat? Did Zoroaster, the Prophet, ever dress like this?"

Khushrow felt insulted and angrily retorted, "Yes, Zoroaster did wear such clothes!" And, though he knew Meher Baba was wearing underwear, he kept repeating that he was naked! Despite Nagarwalla's arrogant tone, Baba continued to calmly and politely answer his questions.

Failing to make Baba lose his temper, Khushrow and his friend began shouting abuses. "You are a fake, a hypocrite and an impostor! You misguide people!"

Overhearing this, Adi, Gulmai's son, lost his temper and angrily told them to leave at once.

Baba stopped Adi from saying anything further and told him to bow down to them and beg their pardon. Adi did so and asked them to forgive his rude behaviour. This humiliating gesture on the part of Khansaheb's son, however, made them feel embarrassed. They quietly left without any further incident.

After a few days passed, Khushrow Nagarwalla unexpectedly showed up at Meherabad alone and asked Meher Baba's pardon for his insolence. (Lord Meher-p-510-1924)



(A wandering sanyasi)




A wandering sanyasi (ascetic) named Narayan showed up at Meherabad during this period. He had heard of Meher Baba and desired the Master's darshan. A typical sadhu, he affected long matted hair, a beard, and his body was smeared with ashes.  He was dressed in the traditional ochre robe. Baba asked him, "Who are you? Where do you come from and where are you going?" The sanyasi, with evident pride, listed all the places of pilgrimage he had visited and said he had now come to Meherabad.

Baba asked, "Now what?"

"I have come to have your darshan," the sanyasi replied.


"From here I will go to Girnar."


"Go further and wander throughout Mount Abu."


"I will proceed further and continue visiting holy places."


"Then what? I will continue roaming as I have been doing."

"For how long?" Baba asked.

The sadhu replied, "Until I find my Master. Once the Master's grace descends, I will be free!"

"When will that happen?"

"Whenever it is destined."

Baba said, "Everyone is destined to realize God in the end, but no one has any idea of it. Everyone goes his own way."

"What are we to do then?" pleaded the sanyasi.

"Become dedicated to a guru."

"Such a One is not found or seen!"

"Your eyes are to blame! The Master is everywhere. He is to be searched for and recognized." (Lord Meher-p-506-1924)

"I am ready to find him."

"I will show you God, but would you do as I say?"

The sanyasi said he was ready and Baba directed him to sit under a nearby tree. Baba told him to wait there and said he would give him instructions after some time. The sanyasi walked over to the tree and sat down. (Lord Meher-507-1924)

Narayan had been staying under a tree in Meherabad for the previous two weeks, reciting the name of God according to Baba's instructions. He was eager for God-realization, and Baba assured him that if he obeyed him, he would attain it. On 16th March 1924, as Narayan was eating lunch, he overheard the men mandali's conversation in the adjoining room. One of them was grumbling, "Drinking our own blood for the past five years has not shown us even a glimpse of God.

How can that sanyasi expect to experience God within six months? He will have to learn the hard way." Hearing this, the sanyasi began having second thoughts about Baba, and without telling anyone, he slipped away and was never heard from again. (Lord Meher-p-787/8-1927)




Nariman came to Meherazad on 1st October 1965 with Jim Mistry  and Baba spent half an hour with them. Jim wished to take a few snapshots of Baba, which Baba permitted. Baba then called Soona and Nariman to sit on either side of him and have their photographs taken with him, and he did the same with Jim. Jimmy's bride had not come with them, and Baba asked the reason. He was told that the girl and her family did not accept Baba as a divine personality. Baba assured them, "Don't worry. I will turn the key."

The Hodivalas returned to Aden, Jim got married, and his wife, Soonu, did not appear to be drawn to Baba. However, years later, as Jimmy's daughter, Kairbaan, related: "One day my mother had a dream about Baba. She woke up crying, sobbing, feeling really shaken. That morning came the news that Baba had dropped His body. I think that changed my Mum. My mother was a very kind and gentle lady. She would never judge people. She always wore her sadra and kusti but was not a follower of rituals. She hung Baba's pictures around the house and lived a Baba life. I know that Baba turned the key."  (Lord Meher-p-5174-1965)


(Daughter of Naoroji F.Dadachanji)







Nargis was a devoted Baba lover of Meher Baba. Being daughter of Naoroji Dadachanji, she got connected with Meher Baba since childhood and had many opportunities to meet and converse with Baba. Most of her meeting and conversation with Baba as recorded in Lord Meher is reproduced in chronological order:

On 7th March 1927, Chanji brought his older brother Naoroji H. Dadachanji and his family to Meherabad. Naoroji. He was a building contractor and had taken a contract to build a Parsi boys' hostel in Poona, where he and his family had been living for some time. Naoroji's family consisted of his wife Bachamai their three daughters, Arnavaz, eleven, Nargis, seven, and Roda, five, and their three-year-old son, Tehemtan.  (Lord Meher-p-786-1927)

Inwardly, Baba's preparations for starting out on the New Life had begun; but none had the least idea of it!" Dr. Alu Khambatta had been in Baba's contact since 1935. She had invited him to bring the women to a guest house in a bungalow called Silver Oaks, which she intended to open, as Baba had ordered her not to practice medicine. She was overjoyed when Arnavaz informed her about Baba's coming, and immediately left for Panchgani to clean the house for Baba's use. Nargis Dadachanji went with her to help, and preparations were speedily taken in hand.

Baba had instructed Alu that when he came to Panchgani, she alone was to remain in the bungalow. Nargis and Dina were to return to Bombay on completion of their work. Nargis had been with Baba in the ashram on Meherabad Hill. (Lord Meher-p-1081-1929)

Baba had not been to Bombay for more than four months and his lovers there were anxious to meet him, which he permitted. Many came to see him throughout the day and into the night. Baba also visited some at their homes. He would visit the Dadachanji family each time he was in Bombay and was always particular to spend time with Naoroji's three daughters, Arnavaz, Nargis and Roda, who each loved him dearly. (Lord Meher-p-1595-1934)

On 30th May 1935, Baba drove from Nasik to Bombay with three disciples again stayed at Banubai's apartment. Baba was invited to lunch the next day at Banu Mansion in Dadar, Naoroji and Bachamai Dadachanji's new home.  There, Baba met the Dadachanjis' teenage daughters, Arnavaz, Nargis, and Roda, and their young Tehemtan Homa, Dara and Nozar, (Lord Meher-p-1678-1935)

Nargis Dadachanji had been ill and had lost a lot of weight. Before departing, Baba noticed how thin she was. He pointed to a thick pillar and indicated to her, "I will make you fat!" (Lord Meher-p-1696-1936)

On 19th February 1938, as the lovers began arriving for the three-day celebration, cannot even be compared with what heaven has to offer! In heaven there is only happiness. But in Meherabad during these three days, there was spiritual joy. Almost 500 lovers from Bombay, Poona, Ahmednagar, Nasik, Navsari, Nagpur and other towns and cities, gathered to quench their thirst.

More than 200 came from Bombay, including Naoroji and Bachamai Dadachanji, and their children Arnavaz, Nargis, Homa, Dara and Roda and many other disciples came to the occasion of Baba’s birthday celebration. (Lord Meher-p-1900-1938)

On 19th April 1938, Baba went to Satara with Elizabeth to look at possible locations for the new ashram. Arnavaz and Nargis arrived from Bombay on the 21st and began staying with the other women. (Lord Meher-p-1915-1938)

On 2nd June 1938, Vishnu's cousin Indu and her husband Vishwanath S. Haldankar came to see Baba at Panchgani. Vishwanath was a goldsmith by profession and a happy-go-lucky sort of fellow. Baba asked them about Belgaum, as Vishwanath hailed from that city. As Baba listened to his description, he expressed interest in viewing the area as a possible site for the proposed ashram and went there for a day on the 4th, accompanied by Vishnu.

Chanji took Arnavaz and Nargis to Poona and met Baba. Baba was given a tour of Belgaum and liked it very much. It was affordable; the climate was mild, so it would be suitable for the Westerners; it wasn't far from Poona and Ahmednagar; and the site shown him was full of shady mango trees. (Lord Meher-p-1925-1938)

Goher was studying medicine in Bombay and staying with the Dadachanji In year 1938, during school vacations, Goher Katie living in Ahmednagar would come to Meherabad to stay with Baba at Meherabad for a week during their Diwali holidays with Arnavaz and Nargis Dadachanji. (Lord Meher-p-1955-1938)

On 2nd May 1939, Chanji was sent again to Bombay the same day, and, he returned on same day with a group of his relatives, including his nieces Arnavaz and Nargis Dadachanji, and also Goher, who was living with the family, Arnavaz and Nargis would always come to Baba during their Christmas and summer holidays.(Lord Meher-p- 2005-1939)

When Nargis first met Baba, she was very lean and slim, and, when she had been to Panchgani in 1938, Baba had indicated to her, but with his own meaning, "You should grow very big! Eat rice, drink lots of water and take plenty of rest!" At the time, Nargis could not follow what Baba meant and thought he was serious. When she returned to Bombay, she felt the pangs of separation deeply and began remembering him more and more.

In Jabalpur, Baba one day remarked to her, "I am happy to see that you are now growing bigger!" Nargis looked puzzled, and said that she was just the same. "Why do you say that?" he asked. "Hasn't your love for me increased?"

"I don't know about that," she said, "but after leaving Panchgani, I felt very sad to be away from you."

"This is called 'growing up' and 'growing bigger'! You are becoming strong in my love. I will make you very big indeed!" (Lord Meher-p-2007-1939)

On 8th June 1939, Arnavaz and Nargis, who had been staying with the women during their summer holidays, were sent to Bombay and Navsari with Chanji. (Lord Meher-p-2013-1939)

On the evening of the 24th august 1939, Naoroji Dadachanji and his daughter, Nargis, arrived in Bangalore. (Lord Meher-p-2029-1939)

During this period, Arnavaz and Nargis Dadachanji had been staying in Bangalore with the other women for some time. Baba had asked Nargis not to do anything but rest while she was there. Nargis wanted to do his personal work and Baba's instruction pained her. At the time, Nargis did not understand that obedience to the Master is the highest type of service.

On 5th November 1939, Nargis moved her iron cot a little while rearranging her room. This upset Baba. She wondered why Baba was preventing her from even slightly exerting herself. Two days later she had a heart attack, and then she knew why Baba had not allowed her to do any physical labour. She was treated by one of the doctors, and Baba himself was attentive to her. Nargis began thinking that instead of her serving Baba, he was serving her! "It is my misfortune that my Beloved is serving me," she thought.

When she was better, Baba advised her, "Go to Bombay and take treatment from Dr. Kohiyar, the heart specialist."

"But his charges are very high," she pointed out.

"Don't worry; I will see to it," Baba promised.

Leaving the ashram was against Nargis' cherished hopes of serving Baba, and she protested, "I won't allow it. I want to serve you, not be a burden to you."

Baba explained, "Continue doing as I tell you. By not obeying me, you are a burden to me! When I have to explain things to you that is a headache to me! When you don't want anything from me, why worry?"

Nargis returned to Bombay with Arnavaz and placed herself under Dr. Kohiyar's care. Although his treatment was expensive, he did not take any fee from her. This amazed Nargis and made her love for Baba even stronger. (Lord Meher-p-2046/7-1939)

In year 1950, for three days, Baba took the women sightseeing in Amboli to Mahdev Fort, Temple Point, Parvati and Nutt Points and other places of interest. One day, on the verandah of their bungalow, Nargis, and three woman disciples were playing cards, when Baba unexpectedly showed up. He was displeased, and castigated them, "If people see you, they will say that Meher Baba's followers do nothing but play cards all day! We are in a new town, and just think for a moment what a bad impression your card playing would make on a casual observer. Don't you donkey-heads feel ashamed? Although I have no objection to it, I have to see to the minutest of things so that unpleasant consequences do not follow."

So, the women stopped playing the card game and began eating their lunch on the verandah. Again, Baba came and reproved them for not going inside. He ended by remarking, "Margaret will dance on her return to England, and Arnavaz on her return to Bombay. But here, in my ashram, you have to act according to my wish."

From such small incidents, Baba was emphasizing to his followers the importance of obedience. By scolding them, he was breaking down their egos, and thereby lightening their load on the Path, so that they could progress on it without stumbling." (Lord Meher-p-2099-1950)

On 11th December 1944, Arnavaz and Nargis came. (Lord Meher-p-2244-1941)

On 2nd February 1942, Baba left Meherabad for Dehra Dun with the men and women mandali. They boarded a 10:00 P.M. train at the Ahmednagar station. All the Eastern and Western women were with Baba, including Arnavaz, Nargis and the servants. Of the mandali, only six disciples accompanied him, while the fifteen or so remaining men mandali were ordered to stay in Meherabad. (Lord Meher-p-2261-1940)

Baba instructed both men and women mandali to fast with him for one day (two cups of tea in the morning; ice cream in the afternoon; two cups of tea in the evening). They broke the fast the following day on the Irani New Year, Jamshed–e–Navroz. Naoroji and his daughter, Nargis, arrived that day from Bombay. (Lord Meher-p-2090-1940

In Year 1941, Narayan Maharaj came to a suburb of Bombay to give darshan to his devotees there. Nargis and her family Roda and Bachamai Dadachanji decided to pay their respects to the Sadguru, and went to see him. Inside, they were taken before Narayan Maharaj, who was dressed very simply in a white kafni, pajamas and a sleeveless vest and was seated on a chair, surrounded by a group of devotees. Narayan spoke to them in Gujarati, asking where they had come from and various other questions. (Lord Meher-p-2221-1941)

On 22nd March 1942, after Baba's mast tour was completed, Baba returned to Dehra Dun. However, he indicated that he was feeling unwell. Two days later, Baba sent all the maid servants back to Meherabad and instructed the women to manage for themselves. Along with the servants, Baba also sent Nargis and other two women disciples back to Bombay accompanied by Kaka. (Lord Meher-p-2271-1942)

In August 1947, Baba decided to move his seclusion towards Maharashtra and sent instructions about hiring bungalows. This was arranged in Lonavla. So Baba with the men and women mandali entrained for Lonavla on 10th September 1942. The women in Lonavla numbered about 30 because of the later inclusion of Nargis and other disciples in addition to the resident women mandali, (Lord Meher-p-2297-1942)

On the 16th, Chanji was called with Arnavaz and Nargis Dadachanji. Arnavaz and Nargis returned to Bombay four days later. (Lord Meher-p-2302-1942)

On the news of Chanji death pained Baba's lovers in the East and in the West. They were deeply saddened. Bachamai, Arnavaz, Nargis and Naoroji were especially grief-stricken. (Lord Meher-p-2427-1944)

On 21st December 1944, Nariman and Arnavaz were married with grandeur at the Ahmednagar agyari (fire temple) in morning. That evening, Baba called the newly-married couple to Pimpalgaon. Arnavaz's sister Nargis and their mother Bachamai accompanied them. He lovingly congratulated the couple, and then took Bachamai by the hand and showed her around the Pimpalgaon estate.

On 23rd December 1952, Baba called all his lovers from Ahmednagar to Meherabad, and also all the guests who had attended Nariman and Arnavaz's wedding. (Lord Meher-p-2452-1952)

On 15th December 1945, Baba left Pasarni for Meherabad, with the men and women mandali, and they arrived in the evening. For the next ten days, the mandali were preoccupied with making arrangements to celebrate Mehera's birthday. Lovers from Bombay and Poona had been invited, and arrived on the 23rd. They included Nargis and six of men and woman disciples. (Lord Meher-p-2515-1945)

According to Baba's already announced plan, the women had been divided into groups. Baba went again to Pimpalgaon on 5 September to inspect the construction work that was still going on there. Baba met visitors to Meherabad on the 7th, including Nargis Dadachanji, and few others (Lord Meher-p-2588-1942)

On 9th August 1935, three women were getting everything ready; Baba suddenly came to Panchgani to see the bungalow with the women mandali. Hearing that Baba had come, Nargis and Dina quickly hid in the bathroom. Baba met Alu and then inquired, "Who is helping to clean up the place?" Alu told him and he asked, "But where are they?"

"They're hiding in the bathroom," she admitted.

Baba had a good laugh, and calling Nargis and Dina, stated, "I am very pleased with you. Now both of you start for Bombay this moment."

When they were about to leave, he relented, conveying, "Stay on here, finish cleaning, and when we return tomorrow have breakfast with us, and then leave. But finish up the cleaning soon." Then looking at their expressions, Baba gestured, "Go on! Why are you staring at me? Didn't you hear what I said? Come on now and start the work. Don't go off and hide in the bathroom!"

On 9th May 1951, Baba returned to Mahabaleshwar via Poona and resumed his seclusion work in the grass hut. Nargis Dadachanji and three disciples followed in Nariman’s car. (Lord Meher-p-2979-1951)

After giving darshan in Poona to a few close lovers who had come to Bindra House, including some from Bombay, such as Kharmen Masi, Arnavaz and her sisters Nargis and Roda and Roda's three sons. (Lord Meher-3724-1955)

Baba left for Satara, and Nargis and Dina cleaned the house from top to bottom. (Lord Meher-p-3735-1949)

About Nargis, Baba commented, "She is Naoroji Dadachanji's [other] daughter. The whole family loves me. Her two brothers died young, but they died taking my name." (Lord Meher-p-4298-1958)

On 15th December 1945, Baba left Pasarni for Meherabad, with the men and women mandali, and they arrived in the evening. For the next ten days, the mandali were preoccupied with making arrangements to celebrate Mehera's birthday. Lovers from Bombay and Poona had been invited, and arrived on the 23rd. They included Nargis Dadachanji and seven other disciples. (Lord Meher-p-4525-1959)

Jimmy and his wife Roda requested that Baba perform the navjot (sacred thread ceremony, usually done by a Zoroastrian priest) of their three sons Meherwan, Falu and Sarosh, and Baba agreed. On 14th May, two days before the ceremony, Baba embraced the three boys. Falu had the mumps, and afterwards Baba complained of having caught it from him. He reprimanded Roda and her sister, Nargis, "Had you any love for me, you would have seen to it that Falu did not come near me! It proves that you love him more than me! What sort of love is it when you are not attentive to my health?"

Baba's persistent complaint that he had caught the mumps and about his health in general took a serious turn, and the possibility of postponing the navjot was raised. But Baba informed Jim, Roda, Nargis, Arnavaz and Nariman, "Don't postpone it; but keep Falu a good distance from me."

Monday of 16th May 1960, was fixed for the occasion, and on that day lovers from Bombay, Poona and other places assembled in Guruprasad. With his own hands, Baba handed each of the three lads a sadra and kusti (thread), as this message from him was read by Eruch in English and Soman in Marathi: (Lord Meher-p-4682-1960)

On the 25th April 1962, Nargis Arnavaz, and Alu Khambatta visited (Lord Meher-p-4797-1962)

Some from Bombay had travelled to Kovvur in Andhra for the opening of Mehersthan, and some had not. When they first arrived at Guruprasad, Baba severely reproved those who had not gone, expressing his displeasure about it. Baba asked Nargis Dadachanji the reason she had not gone, and she said her health did not permit her. (She had a heart condition.) Baba made this reproving comment, "You would have been lucky had you died in Kovvur!"

But two days later, Baba asked Goher to take Nargis' blood pressure, which was found to be quite high. Baba asked her, "Why aren't you careful about your health?"

Nargis burst out laughing. Baba inquired, "Why are you laughing?"

She replied, "Two days ago you scolded me for not going to Kovvur, and today you rebuke me for being careless about my health."

Baba was more attentive toward his Bombay group this time, and they all received a lot of "sherbet" (love) to drink.

Wishing to reap the benefit of Baba's darshan whenever available, the Bombay group rented Jamnagar House in Koregaon Park for three months. They moved in the day after they arrived and stayed the entire summer. For the first few days, only Arnavaz, Nargis Freny, and Dr. Alu were there. Later, they were joined by other disciples from Bombay. (Lord Meher-p-4941/2-1963)

On 22nd April 1963, in the morning Baba, along with Eruch and Goher, visited his Bombay lovers at Jamnagar House, 50-51 Koregaon Park. Roda Mistry garlanded Baba, and Freny Dadachanji presented him with a basket of flowers. Baba was wearing a new pink coat and sadra, and embraced each of them. He remarked, "Today I am going to stay longer. This is not a flying visit!"— As was his usual habit.

Baba sat down and the group sat in a circle around him on sofas and chairs. He began his usual routine by asking questions about their health, sleep and food, and commented how he liked the spacious bungalow.

Baba went in to see Nargis and Katie, who were bedridden, and after some time returned to his chair. (Lord Meher-p-4963-1963)

Arnavaz and Nariman Dadachanji and Jim Mistry also arrived from Bombay on the 11th and stayed at Meherazad for eight days. Gaimai Jessawala (Eruch's mother) and Nargis Dadachanji (Arnavaz's sister) were allowed to stay for seven days in September. (Lord Meher-p-5172-1965)

On 22nd December 1966,

Mehera's birthday was celebrated privately at Meherazad with a special meal prepared and sent by Chhagan and Viloo. Every year a few close ones were invited on that day, such as Nariman and Arnavaz Dadachanji, Jim and Roda Mistry, Nargis and Khorshed from Bombay, along with Gaimai and Manu Jessawala from Poona. (Lord Meher-p-5255-1968)

Before 1st February 1968, father of Nargis, Naoroji Dadachanji expired at the age of 84, in Bombay from a heart attack, with Baba's name on his lips. Naoroji had dedicated his life and family to Baba and was a long-standing lover who had stayed with Baba in Bangalore. Baba sent a telegram to Nargis, her brother and sisters that their dear father had "come to him" and was "blissfully happy in his love." (Lord Meher-p-5302-1968)

Nargis and two woman disciples came to Meherazad on wedding of Dara, a Zoroastrian and Amrit, a Hindu. They returned to Bombay on the 24th December 1968 (Lord Meher-p-5380-1968)




(Son of Dadachanji first Secretary)

(Close disciples)Mandali

Refer Fortunate Souls-Volume-3






The final afternoon of darshan on 31 May 1961, proved to be the most crowded, when at 4:00 P.M. no fewer than 3,000 persons poured through Guruprasad. Baba permitted those lovers still in Poona to repeat their visit on that last occasion, and lovers from all over India also came. The singer Narsing Qawaal performed as each lover filed past Baba, in what seemed like an unending procession, to receive prasad (in the form of a sweet) from his hand. (Lord Meher-p-4762-1961)





On Sunday, 19 November 1922, a Muslim named Nasir Ahmed came to meet Baba. When asked how he had come to know about the Master, Nasir narrated this recent incident:

"One day, when I returned home, my servant informed me that an unexpected guest was waiting to meet me. The guest turned out to be a venerable old man, who said his name was Abdul Wahid. During our conversation, he casually hinted that I should go to meet Meher Baba. I informed him that, although I had heard of the Irani Master, I hesitated to go for his darshan since he was not a Muslim Master.

"Then explained to me: 'Masters have no religion. Meher Baba is the first of our time. He has been appointed the special duty of creating as many walis [saints] as possible. At present, his state is such that he can transform anyone whom he embraces into a saint! Go meet Meher Baba and give him my salaams.' "

Baba's response was a smile and he remarked that Abdul Wahid was spiritually advanced, and that Nasir was fortunate to have heeded his advice. (Lord Meher-p-368-1922)







On 15th April 1952, Baba gave darshan to about 200 of his old Bombay lovers at Ashiana, including Keshav V. Nene, with their families. Nene had come into Baba's contact through his brother-in-law Rustom Kaka Hathidaru of Ahmednagar. (Lord Meher-p-3041-1954)




(Brother in law of Ramjoo)


Baba left Meherabad for Bombay on 6th March 1938. Adi Sr. was with him, driving the Opel, along with Adi Jr. They halted at Poona for lunch with Memo and Beheram's family at Baba House. Nooru (Ramjoo's brother-in-law) joined them at the Poona railway station. (Lord Meher-p-1903-1938)

In year 1942, Baba said concluded, "I want every one of you to observe absolute secrecy about all I have told you now. Therefore, none of you should tell anyone not present here anything about these instructions." Nooru (Ramjoo's brother-in-law) was  one in Group B. (Lord Meher-p-2315-1942)