TEACHING OF GURU DATTATREYA- ASTHANG YOGA
Guru Dattatreya gave Ashtanga Yoga (eight fold path of Yoga) to the world thousands of years ago. Patanjali codified this knowledge in sootra forms. It comprises:
- Yama– non-killing, truthfulness, non-stealing, continence, and non-receiving of any gifts. Moral discipline
- Niyama– cleanliness, contentment, austerity, study and self-surrender to God. Moral discipline
Yama and Niyama are moral training and form the basis of Yoga. As these two become established, the Yogi will begin to realize the fruits of his practice.
- Asana– posture
- Pranayama–‘Prana’ is the life-force, ‘yama’ is control. 'Pranayama' consists of breath control exercises.
- Pratyahara– withdrawal of senses from sense objects
- Dharana– concentration.
- Dhyana– meditation
- Samadhi– the transcendental or super conscious state of being one with God: