Song of the New Life
Listen to the silent words of Meher Baba;
The life-story of all lovers (of God) is based on the practice of these words.
If you are serious about living this New Life,
Then whole-heartedly renounce this ephemeral existence.
We have taken to this life, in which we rely only on God:
In this, our Will (to do or die) is strengthened by the oath taken:
We are merrily singing the song of hopelessness:
We are inviting all calamities and difficulties.
We neither wail over lost hopes, nor complain about (broken) promises;
We neither covet honour, nor shun disgrace;
Back-biting we know not, nor do we fear anyone;
This is now the colour of our New Life.
No confusion in the mind, now, nor any ties left;
Pride, anger, lust and greed we know not.
We have no religion nor care for physical and mental fads.
The Sheikh and the Brahmin-typifying all castes and creeds-are now sailing in the same boat.
There is no small or great now, for us all;
The questions of disciple Master or God-hood, no longer arise;
Brotherliness or fellow-feeling is the link that exists,
And this contributes to our present enjoyment of suffering.
This world or the next, hell or heaven, we no longer bother about.
Shakties and Siddhis, occultism and miracles, we no longer think of;
All these false impressions (thoughts) for us have been purged from the mind.
What has value and importance for us now, is to live in the active present.
Dear ones, take seriously the words of Baba when he says,
Although now, I am on the same level with you all,
Yet all orders from me, good, bad, extraordinary
You should carry out immediately, leaving the result to God.
Even if the heavens fall,
Do not let go the hand of Truth.
Let despair and disappointment ravage and destroy the garden (of your life),
You beautify it once again, by the seedlings of contentment and self-sufficiency.
Even if your heart is cut to bits, let there be a smile on your lips.
Here I divulge to you a point worth noting.
Hidden in your penniless hands, is treasure untold;
Your beggarly life will be the envy of Kings (of the world).
God exists indeed and true are the Prophets;
Every Cycle has an Avatar and every moment a Wali.
For us however, it is only hopelessness and helplessness.
How else should I tell you what our New Life is!
This New Life is endless, and even after my physical death it will be kept alive by those who live the life of complete renunciation of falsehood, lies, hatred, anger, greed and lust; and who, to accomplish all this, do no lustful actions, do no harm to anyone, do no backbiting, do not seek material possessions or power, who accept no homage, neither covet honor nor shun disgrace, and fear no one and nothing; by those who rely wholly and solely on God, and who love God purely for the sake of loving, who believe in the lovers of God and in the reality of Manifestation, and yet do not expect any spiritual and material reward; who do not let go the hand of Truth, and who without being upset by calamities bravely and wholeheartedly face all hardships with one hundred per cent cheerfulness, and give no importance to caste, creed, and religious ceremonies. This New Life will live by itself eternally even if there is no one to live it.
A Message to those who believe in my Life Circular Number 1.
My message today to those who love me and believe in my Life is that, in order to escape this cosmic illusion, and to realize and attain the Supreme Reality, we must abide by the following: First and foremost, our complete surrender to the God-Man, in whom God reveals Himself in His full glory, His Infinite Power, His Unfathomable Knowledge, His inexpressible Bliss and His Eternal Existence. Should this complete surrender not be possible, then one or some of the following, if faithfully carried out, can win the grace of God:
1. Wholehearted love for God. Thirst for seeing Him, longing for knowing Him and a burning desire for union with Him constitutes this all-consuming love, for which the lover forsakes everything, including himself.
2. Keeping constant company of saints and lovers of God, and rendering them wholehearted service.
3. Guarding of the mind against temptations of lust, greed, anger, hatred, power, fame and fault-finding.
4. Absolute and complete external renunciation, whereby one leaves everyone and everything, and in solitude, devotes oneself to prayer, fasting and meditation.
5. Living in the world and yet practicing complete internal renunciation. This means attending to all worldly duties without attachment, knowing all to be an illusion and only God to be real, carrying out one’s worldly affairs with a pure heart and clean mind, and living the life of a recluse in the midst of intense activity.
6. Selfless Service. One who practices this thinks not of himself but of the happiness of others, serves others with no thought of gain or reward, never allows the mind to be upset or disappointed, and facing all odds and difficulties cheerfully, sacrifices his welfare for the good of others. This is the life of the selfless worker.
Song of the New Life