Hits: 0






Concerning Meher Ashram, a new proposal was discussed to open the boarding school in Meherabad instead of Ahmednagar, though Borker preferred Ahmednagar. On 25 March, it was finally decided to locate the Meher Ashram School in Meherabad, because the children would then have the benefit of Baba's constant companionship.

The following appointments were made: Borker was to be in charge of Meher Ashram; Dhake was to be the principal and head of the education department. (Lord Meher-p-791-1927)



Sahaj Singh were the nephews of Daulat Singh. They said, "Baba, we are returning to Africa (where Trilok lived). We would like your blessing."

Baba chuckled, dictating, "You and all others should bless me so that I may immediately break my silence. The real blessing is within you; don't worry about anything."

To all, Baba observed: "The worst thing lying in our Path is hypocrisy. We are all hypocrites to one degree or another. The slightest hypocrisy means no God! We cannot fool One Who knows everything!" (Lord Meher-p-3420-1953)



(Daughter of Keshav Nene)



Sandhya danced for Baba that afternoon. One dance depicted the life of a gopi absorbed in her love for Krishna. In the course of the conversation there was a reference to the songs of Mira. Baba asked Ann, "Do you know the story of Saint Mira?" She said she did not, and Baba gestured to Eruch to relate a few incidents from Mira's life.

Afterwards Baba remarked: "Mira was not born at the time when Krishna manifested himself as the Avatar in human form. Even then her love surpassed that of the gopis. In this sense her love is unique, unparalleled.  (Lord Meher-p-4757-1961)






On 1st May 1965, Baba told to one of his mandali man, "I will give darshan at the Poona Center just once more, one year from today. After that I will resume the darshan programs at Guruprasad as usual."

After this, the children sang Baba's arti, and the sweets touched by his hand were distributed as prasad. Baba had Sanjeevani Kher sing a song. She had sung before him in Guruprasad the previous year, and Baba liked her singing very much. Baba was in such a happy mood that, despite his previous ruling that no one should do so, he allowed everyone to approach, meet and garland him. (Lord Meher-p-5074-1964)











Baba left Meherazad for Saoner on 29th December 1952. Baba was to take a train to Saoner. Alexander Markey, the American film director, also arrived at Saoner and was lodged at the home of Nana Kher's brother-in-law, Bhasker Mukund Sapre. Markey had expressly come to invite Baba to the inauguration of his film shooting at Alwar, but due to previous commitments Baba could not attend. (Lord Meher-p-3232-1952)







On the 26th a local devotee, Raya Maroti Sakhare (a mandapwalla, one who erects canopies) gave a special party to all the Meherabad residents at 4:00 P.M... All gathered at the Sai Darbar where tea was served and Baba distributed sev, bhujia and jalebis. Before doing so, he first struck a match and threw it into his spittoon. (Lord Mewher-p-695-1926)




(A farmer)




Baba had His “couch or bench”, just before the summit of Seclusion Hill at Meherazad.  Baba used to sit there so that He was he was out of the draft when he stayed on the Hill for His seclusion work. Only one person who was with Baba and mandali at that time named Sampati is 99 years old farmer. He helped Donkin the original path and carried water up for Baba’s use.

(Whatsapp message -97793-84983)




B/o Pillo Satha


On 27th April 1924, a Zoroastrian of Ahmednagar named Nusserwan Naoroji Satha, 27, went out for a long stroll with his younger brother Piloo and happened to pass by Meherabad. From a distance they saw Meher Baba sitting alone under a tree in a majestic pose. Nusserwan thought: "Who is this person? He looks like Zoroaster!" He approached, while Piloo kept aloof, and the Master lovingly had him sit beside him. They sat quietly for a while and Nusserwan kept having these thoughts: "Is he really Zoroaster? Is this the Prophet?"

Baba immediately remarked, "Zoroaster is born again, but people do not recognize him!" Nusserwan was startled, realizing the Master had read his thoughts. Baba then asked, "What do you do?"

In a sincere manner, Nusserwan answered, "I am a follower of Mahatma Gandhi and am taking an active part in the movement for national independence."

Baba smilingly replied, "Give up all thought of political independence and concentrate on Self-Realization, which is real independence and true self-rule." Nusserwan could not comprehend what he meant. Baba concluded, advising him, "Continue coming here and you will understand all that I am telling you."

Nusserwan was from a large Zoroastrian family and, due to his first meeting at Meherabad, the entire Satha family became closely connected with Meher Baba, including Nusserwan's sister Gaimai Jessawala and her family.

In 1945, Nusserwan had once gone to Meherabad for Baba's darshan. He had a coverlet thrown over his shoulders for warmth. Baba asked him for it, and Nusserwan willingly gave it to him. Baba was particular about the covering, and would use it during the night. This chaddar proved the means through which the entire Satha and Damania families came into Baba's close contact, because soon after taking it, the rest of the family came for his darshan. Baba's keeping the sheet so carefully, and using it for so many years, showed his love for and connection with this fortunate family.

In 1925, on another visit to Baba at Meherabad to see Baba (before Baba's silence began), Nusserwan wished to ask Baba for a mantra upon which he could meditate. It had been on his mind for a long time, but he did not say anything about it to Baba. When he came to Meherabad, Baba called him to his Jhopdi and said, "Today, I'm going to give you a guru-mantra."

He then whispered into Nusserwan's ear, "Remember Ahuramazda daily with all your heart."

Referring to this incident, Baba asked Nusserwan, "Do you still want a mantra?"

Nusserwan replied, "No, it isn't necessary. Receiving your love is my mantra." (Lord Meher-p-2462-1945)





Tehmuras and Meherbai Satarawala had known of Baba since the days when he first occupied the Panchgani Cave in Tiger Valley in 1930, but this was their first meeting on Friday, 25 July 1947,(Lord Meher-p-.2584-1947)





Tehmuras and Meherbai Satarawala had known of Baba since the days when he first occupied the Panchgani Cave in Tiger Valley in 1930, but this was their first meeting on Friday, 25 July 1947,(Lord Meher-p-.2584-1947)





A notorious criminal

Satyamang a notorious criminal of Ahmednagar district happened to come to Meherabad with his gang for Baba’s darshan. He had come hoping that with the Master’s blessing, his chosen profession would continue to be lucrative and that he would not be apprehended.

When he arrived, Baba was talking with about fifty of the mandali at the Makan. Baba was informed of a group’s arrival. No one had any idea who the men really were. Satya Mang and his accomplices sat on the ground before Baba after first prostrating themselves at Baba’s feet. Baba suddenly became very serious and remained quiet for a few minutes. He then asked, “Where do you come from and where are you going?” When Satya Mang had answered, Baba looked directly at him and spelled out, “You should be wearing bangles!”

Satya Mang did not follow the meaning of this and asked the mandali what Baba had said. Baba again repeated, “You should put bangles around your wrists! Why aren’t you wearing them?”

When one of the mandali explained, Satya Mang asked, “Why? What have I done?”

“You are a coward!” exclaimed Baba.

“What do you mean?” Satya Mang shouted.

“A hefty man like you can extract water from stone (meaning that he could work hard and earn an honest livelihood). But instead, you are a dacoit – a thief and rob people. Your very name strikes terror in the hearts of women and children who are unable to sleep when they think of you.”

Until then, the mandali did not know who this man was, but after hearing Baba, they felt sure that this must be the infamous Satya Mang who held the people of the district in fear and whom the police had been unable to catch despite their best efforts.

Baba continued, “You support yourself on illegal gains. Aren’t you ashamed to grow a moustache? You are not a man – you are a woman!”

Satya Mang replied, “I inherited my profession. If I do not pursue it, how am I to maintain myself and my family?”

“Can’t you find another occupation other than robbing people? What are the rest of the people in the world doing? Do you mean to say that everyone in the world lives on stolen property?”

To make such statements to this dangerous criminal was unheard of, for even the police were terrified of Satya Mang and his gang. But this wolf became like a lamb before Meher Baba (whom he called Maharaj) and humbly asked, “Maharaj, show me what I am to do. I am ready to give up this way of life if I find some employment to maintain my family.”

Baba replied, “That can be arranged immediately, but how can you stop stealing? Every blood cell of your body contains its germs!”

“No, Maharaj, I swear I will turn my face from such a life if provision is made for my children. Once that is done, I will never rob again.”

Baba then asked seriously, “Do you know before whom you are swearing? Do you have any idea to whom you are giving this promise? If you break your promise to God, your life will be ruined. God knows everything. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Maharaj, I understand. I will never repeat my past actions. I will never break my promise!”

At this, Baba stretched out his hand and gestured, “Give me your promise!” Immediately Satya Mang came forward and touched Baba’s palm with his own. Baba then warned, “If you go back on your word to me, you will become completely paralyzed. Remember this.”

Baba then arranged for the maintenance of his family and instructed him to come to Meherabad once a week. From that day on, the threat of robbery disappeared from Ahmednagar district and people were greatly impressed by this “miraculous occurrence.” Everyone was amazed at Baba’s intervention. For a robber like Satya Mang, who had successfully eluded the police for years, to submit to a spiritual Master and surrender to him was something unheard of.

Satya Mang held to his promise and remained faithful for some time, but again his hands began itching with the desire for stealing. He stealthily entered a house one night to rob it, and was about to steal a few valuable articles when he saw Baba standing in front of him! His body shuddered with fright and he recalled Meher Baba’s words:

God is ever present. He sees everything.

Nothing is hidden from Him!

Suddenly everything became dark as if he had gone blind. Satya Mang grew pale and closed his eyes. When he opened them, Baba had disappeared. Leaving the stolen goods behind, he hastened to Meherabad to find Baba, and later when he saw Baba, tears streamed down his cheeks as he confessed, “Maharaj, please forgive me this once. I have gone back on my word.”

Feigning ignorance, Baba asked, “What are you talking about? What happened?”

Satya Mang cried out, “God, you know everything. Forgive me!” and he fell at Baba’s feet.

Baba pardoned him because of his sincere repentance and warned, “Never do it again. Paramatma knows everything and sees all.”

Thereafter, Satya Mang never committed a crime or theft again and the police even availed themselves of his help in tracking down other criminals. Satya Mang made it a practice to be present at Meherabad every Thursday and take part in the gatherings there.

Faith in Meher Baba’s divinity was born in him and he completely changed. At one word from Baba, he was ready to sacrifice his life. On one occasion, he begged the Master for the chance to serve him. Baba replied, “When the appropriate time comes, I will surely give you the opportunity to serve me.” (1)

(1) Satya Mang proved to be of help to the mandali when Baba left Meherabad for his Nasik stay years later. He was in charge of security during the mass darshan in Nasik in 1937, on the occasion of Baba’s forty-third birthday. (Lord Meher, Bhau Kalchuri, Vol. 3, pp. 811 – 814)

Baba Himself narrated about Satyamang:

Once, in lower Meherabad, when there was the big colony and I had dissolved it all and moved to a new place named Toka a few miles away, a few persons were kept here. An Irani who was good in heart, but a bit cracked (crazy), had to keep guard at night. He had to shout out at intervals "All's well!" to keep himself awake, as well as to show others that he was awake. At that time, there was a very notorious thief called Satya Mang, who had robbed and killed a number of people. One night this Satya Mang had robbed a man on the road from here to Ahmednagar

The following night, something happened to this dear Irani: A lost donkey wandered here and he thought it was Satya Mang! So he awakened everyone and all were nervous. One old mandali fainted. All the time, the man was shouting "Satya Mang is here!" After a time, a lantern was lit, and it was seen that there was nobody there; then the door was opened and the donkey was seen.

When I heard this story, I thought this illusion beats even the universal illusion I created ages ago! Then, I sent for Satya Mang, who was so proud of his strength that the police feared him and the villagers were afraid to report his threats. "I don't know Meher Baba, get out," he said to my messenger, and he abused my name.

But later on he came, saying he had seen Baba in a dream sitting on his chest. I was sitting as usual, and as soon as he saw me, Satya Mang prostrated himself and started weeping. I made him sit quietly by my side. "I want you from today to give up robbing and killing and to disperse your gang; and for your living, come to me and I will supply you [with money]," I said. He promised.

From that day, Satya Mang gave up his old ways. Once, there was a lapse; after some months, he thought of robbing someone. A moneylender had left his house vacant, and Satya Mang was tempted to rob it. He broke in, and saw the form of Baba standing at the doorway. So he came at once to me and said, "You have saved me." When I went away to Persia (in 1929) and left only one family here, I told him to look after Meherabad.

At times, I have plenty of money. At other times, I have little or none. In the New Life, I begged for food and made the mandali beg. Satya Mang had stopped robbing. He was living close by, and he brought food to the family, begging from village to village for them. (Lord Meher-p-3607/8-1954)

In darshan program Satya Mang standing among the poor, Baba once again interrupted the ceremony when his turn came and narrated his history as a reformed criminal. Standing before Baba, Satya Mang began weeping, and his tears testified to his love for Baba and his faith in him. (Lord Meher-p-3888-1955)




(A blind singer)


In year 1925, Baba presented a blind singer from Ahmednagar named Sawlaram with the expensive harmonium as his prasad. (Lord Meher-p-626-1925)




80-SAYANI HYDER IBRAHIM a devout Muslim professor of Deccan College




While at Manzil-e-Meem, Baba would seldom allow outsiders to meet him. However, on Sunday, 2 July 1922, a devout Muslim professor of Deccan College named Hyder Ibrahim Sayani was introduced to the Master.

In the course of conversation, Baba suddenly interjected, "These days I put on a Turkish fez cap whenever I go out." Turning to the men, he said, "Isn't that so?"

Although the men replied in the affirmative, no one could grasp why the Master suddenly made such a statement, for the fact was Baba rarely wore a fez. During this period, he almost never wore a hat, but always wrapped a scarf or kerchief around his head.

When Professor Sayani came out of Baba's room, he told the men, "Meher Baba answered my question without my asking it!" The men inquired what he meant and he explained, "My brother has been sitting beside the tomb of Maulana Saheb in Bandra for the last 20 years. Today, he instructed me to go meet Meher Baba and ascertain what sort of hat he wears. But when I came, I found the Master bare-headed. I was puzzled and embarrassed as to how to ask him, but he settled my mind by answering the question before I could pose it."

Others from the nearby community were less gracious. One morning a group of Muslims noisily entered the compound and demanded to meet Meher Baba. "If the person who calls himself a pir does not show himself," they rudely announced, "we will enter the house forcefully and teach him a lesson he will never forget!" It was a tense, serious situation. Behramji was on watch and informed Baba, who was on the top floor meeting with the mandali. (Lord Meher-p-303/4-1922)



(Nick named Kaka Shahane –Father of Mohan Shahane)


A devoted Baba lover from Ahmednagar. He met baba many times. The incidents and conversation with Baba is recorded in chronological order:

In year 1925, a respectable elder named Dnyaneshwar Ramchandra Shahane, (Nicknamed Kaka Shahane) a resident of Ahmednagar, owned land near Arangaon. He often came to Meherabad for Baba's darshan. His son Mohan was suffering from a disease which was not being cured despite the best possible medical treatment. One day Shahane beseeched the Master about his son's affliction, and Baba advised him to keep his son at Meherabad where he would recover.

Gradually Mohan did regain his health. After some time, Kaka Shahane, as he was called, moved to Meherabad with his entire family and all began living according to Baba's instructions. They were accommodated in the Family Quarters, a bungalow rented by Baba on a piece of land near the village. Shahane became completely devoted to the Master and surrendered to Baba's guidance for the rest of his life. Baba always cared for the whole family's maintenance, which proved not insignificant since Shahane and his wife, Manutai, had four daughters and three sons. (Lord Meher-p-569-1925)

On 18th June 1925, Baba again mentioned his upcoming silence: "Within a few days, I will begin keeping silence. All of you remember to hold fast to me- no matter what."

On Thursdays, Baba and the mandali had begun visiting Kaka Shahane's house, the Family Quarters, in Arangaon, for afternoon tea. Here the men would enjoy fine tea with milk, for a change, and snacks. (Lord Meher-p-591-1925)

At the time of the Poona Hut, Baba had spoken of the Maratha king, Shivaji, and hinted that Shivaji was one of his minor incarnations. Baba repeated something similar. To Kaka Shahane's that day, when he wrote on his slate and swore it was true: "Although European historians paint Shivaji in a different light, there was no warrior so brave, so sincere, so clever, so gentle, or so pure. He was a perfect devotee and a true disciple of his Spiritual Master, Swami Ramdas. It is the same Shivaji that is now present in this form to perform a great part in the tremendous spiritual outburst that is meant to occur in the near future."

Then Baba remarked, "I was present at the time of Jesus, too, but that is another matter. It is a secret, but a part of it I have thus revealed."

In reference to Shivaji, Arjun asked, "Are the men of that time present here?"

Baba nodded and then asking for the slate, he wrote: "Although many were with him, about 24 played a key role at that time. Ten out of these 24 will once again, within two years, be the instruments of great spiritual workings in the world. Afzal Khan, who was killed by Shivaji, will assume the lion's share of the work. One foreigner at that time played a key role, too, and he likewise will be one of the most prominent members of Shivaji's circle. Shivaji has now realized Truth, and through him at the appointed time in the near future, these companions will also realize they played a powerful part in the scheme. (Lord Meher-p-603-1925)

In December 1925, to manage the growing estate at Meherabad, a committee was formed along the lines of the Gutta in Manzil-e-Meem. It was named the Circle Committee and the chairman, vice chairman and secretary were Rustom, Behramji, and Vishnu, respectively. Kaka Shahane was one among 13 the committee members of disciples. (Lord Meher-p-630-1925)

On 25th March 1926, at Shahane's residence in Family Quarters, Baba gave the following discourse on intelligence:

Intelligence when it is not thinking is unconsciousness and may be likened to sound sleep. Thinking and imagination are latent in intelligence. When intelligence thinks of itself, it realizes Its Self and is God. When it thinks about imagination, it is the world, mind, body, and ignorance.

For example, take a gramophone record. When it is not being played, it is in a state similar to sound sleep, like unconscious intelligence (when it is not thinking); but when the phonograph needle is put on the record, it starts to play. This is like the thinking of imagination that is latent in intelligence and becomes manifest while the mind is thinking.

Take as another example an ocean to represent intelligence, which is calm at first. But when the wind blows (the desire of intelligence to know itself), there is movement in the still waters (intelligence begins to think), forming innumerable waves, and the result is an uncountable number of bubbles. When intelligence starts thinking, it creates waves (universes), which form bubbles (different worlds).

The ocean (intelligence) is there in the bubbles (imagination), but in a limited form. So when we think, intelligence is there, but in a limited form. It knows that "I am this body." (Lord Meher-p-646-1926)

Baba and the mandali would go to Kaka Shahane's home in the Arangaon Family Quarters every Thursday; they would be served milk tea and bhujias. On 10th June 1926, Baba remarked, "Kaka's bhujias are delicious and we feel happy to eat them, but the real pleasure lies in eating those bhujias made from the flour of sanskaras and fried in the oil of devotion on the fire of love."

The main topic of discussion at the Shahane's residence was the purpose of religion. Baba stated: "The real meaning of religion is to know God, to see God, and to become one with God. Everything else about religion is an exercise in rites and rituals."

Once, Baba asked everyone to sing, pointing first to Kaka Shahane who was taken by surprise and became nervous. However, all were happily amused to hear the song he stammered through. (Lord Meher-p-672-1926)

On the morning of 21st September 1926, as the gong was struck at exactly ten o'clock, Baba chose 20 of the men and started on foot toward the village of Walki, a distance of six miles. Each one carried a sack for begging. The men were in good spirits and enjoyed the walk. The weather was perfect, with a few scattered clouds. Striding along, Sarosh played a harmonica, and others sang. The men on each side of Baba would lift him up while walking. On the way, Baba halted three or four times, asking the men whether they should proceed or return to Meherabad. A majority wished to go further, so they continued. On the outskirts of Walki, they stopped under a tree. Sailor and another man were sent to search for a cool place, a garden or an orchard in which to camp, and Kaka Shahane was sent to order tea from a roadside stall. (Lord Meher-p-711-1926)

One time, besides requests, some men asked for money and others for employment, but the majority were simply in favor of something good to eat for a change.

Baba wrote on his slate, "This is the last day of my taking meals, as from tomorrow 20th October 1926; I will go on a fast for 100 days. And as the majority wishes for a treat and wants me to join them, I will consent on one condition: that you prepare the different dishes yourselves and have the food ready by eight o'clock tonight."

Baba's decision was received with "deafening cheering." The disciples with experience of cooking did most of the work, but the other members of the mandali also formed groups to prepare different dishes. Kaka Shahane's family fried bhujias.

After the chanting of shlokas (Sanskrit poetry) and the singing of bhajans, Baba served the food in Sai Darbar and all happily partook of the meal. Baba also ate with them and later, (Lord Meher-p-728/9-1926)

On 26th October 1926, dismantling the buildings at lower Meherabad began. The dharamshala (Upasni Serai) and the leper ward were the first two structures to be taken down and it was done in one day. That night Baba was in a bad mood. Kaka Shahane did not understand certain of Baba's hand signs, which upset Baba. Baba pushed Shahane, and Shahane fell down, striking his head on a stone. He was then directed to go home. (Lord Meher-p-735-1926)

Although the taking of Baba's darshan had been stopped for some time, visitors continued to flock to Meherabad. On 9th November 1926, a crowd formed and Baba permitted them to take darshan. Noticing Pandoba whispering in Kaka Shahane's ear, Baba asked him what he had said. Pandoba replied, "I was saying that I wonder why the touching of your feet by outsiders is allowed, but it is forbidden to us."

Baba replied, "You want to touch my feet? All right, let's flip a coin. Heads you win; tails you lose." Pandoba hesitated, but Dhake, Mohan Shahane, and his father urged him to take the chance. The coin was tossed and it was heads. Shouting Baba's Jai and without waiting to confirm Baba's permission, each of the mandali rushed forward, bowed, and kissed Baba's feet. (Lord Meher-p-738-1926)

On 18th June 1925, Baba again mentioned his upcoming silence: "Within a few days, I will begin keeping silence. All of you remember to hold fast to me- no matter what." On Thursdays, Baba and the mandali had begun visiting Kaka Shahane's house, the Family Quarters, in Arangaon, for afternoon tea. Here the men would enjoy fine tea with milk, for a change, and snacks. (Lord Meher-p-743-1926)

On 25th November 1926, although all were busy packing usual tea was held at Kaka Shahane's house in the Family Quarters near Arangaon. Three of His disciples went to the train station in advance with the luggage. Although precautions had been taken to keep this journey a secret, people in Ahmednagar came to know about it and there was a huge crowd waiting on the station platform for Baba's darshan. Baba avoided the crowd by going directly to Lonavla with the mandali in two large buses, deeply disappointing his devotees. (Lord Meher-p-745-1926)

On 16th December 1926, Kaka Shahane arrived from Ahmednagar to meet Baba.  (Lord Meher-p-755-1926)

On 17th December 1926, Baba went to Ahmednagar with six men to attend the wedding ceremony of Police man’s daughter. The policeman was deeply moved by seeing Baba, and the marriage was joyously performed before him. The poor man cried out, "O Lord! Only your grace has brought about this happy event. Otherwise, who would have married the daughter of a leper?"Baba replied, "In your ugly cage resides a beautiful soul. Only I can see its beauty. Do not worry about your condition. You have nothing to fear." After the ceremony Baba and the mandali went to Kaka Shahane's for tea. (Lord Meher-p-792/93-1926)

On the 14th April 1927, Baba sat inside the dispensary from eight to noon, and then went back inside the Jhopdi until evening. It was quite unusual. Kaka Shahane and his wife Manutai suddenly came with their children for Baba's darshan. Manutai had Baba's order not to drink tea, but as she was going to Kolhapur to visit her relatives who might insist on her taking tea, she requested that Baba allow her to drink tea during her visit. Baba gave his consent, but corrected her, "It is a mistake to ask for a change in my order once given. When I give an order it should be followed at any cost until the time I, on my own, withdraw it. And so all orders, under all circumstances, are to be carried out. There should be no breach of my word. I will never refuse a change in the original order if asked for, but take it that the effect and force of my first word or order is lost once it is changed. And because of that, those concerned will necessarily have to suffer." (Lord Meher-p-802-1927)

On 22nd June 1926, Baba and the mandali were hosted at Dhake's residence in the city, in honor of his recent marriage. On the way car got a flat tire while returning, so Baba walked to Kaka Shahane's, where he waited until the tire was fixed. (Lord Meher-p-827-1926)

On the morning of 1st September 1927, Baba rode on a donkey that was being used to carry muroom (crushed earth) to fill in the tennis area. In the afternoon as usual there was a tea party at Shahane's where one disciple sang before Baba. (Lord Meher-p-840-1927)

On 10th October 1927, one of the teachers left his position. Semester exams at the school were given on Thursday, 20th October. That day, Baba went to Kaka Shahane's as usual in evening. (Lord Meher-p-847-1927)

On 8th November 1962, Kaka Shahane's family moved into Bomanji's former quarters. (Lord Meher-p-852-1927)

On 24th November 1927, Baba went to Kaka Shahane's for tea on Thursday, but he indicated he would stop coming on Thursdays from the following week. Baba came up the hill and stayed until six, playing cricket with the boys. (Lord Meher-p- 854-1927)

On 1st August 1928, Baba went to the night watchman's quarters on, for a tea party. Kaka Shahane's family sang the Marathi arti and the mandali sang the Gujarati one. That night at 9:00 P.M., Baba took two dozen of the mandali boating in the moonlight. They returned after half an hour. Disciples sang before Baba. (Lord Meher-p-953-1927)

Baba loved Kaka Shahane's family very much and had accepted responsibility for the maintenance of the family and the education of the seven children. On 10th August 1928, Mohan Shahane left the ashram to further his higher education. He had been serving as teachers in the school. Baba did not wish Mohan to leave, but the young man was not deeply drawn to the spiritual life and wished to attend graduate school and pursue a Master's degree. He had only been staying in the ashram to fulfill his father's promise to Baba, which was that after Mohan's college graduation he would stay with Baba for six months, and that period had now expired. Baba revealed to Kaka Shahane, "If Mohan stays with me, he will become internationally famous," but Mohan decided to go his own way and left Baba for the rest of his life.

When Mohan was leaving, Baba turned to Chhagan and Padri and remarked sadly, "He will not see me again for 700 years."  (Lord Meher-p-955-1928)

After a brief halt at Akbar Press in Ahmednagar, where they were received by Kaka Shahane, and other families they reached Nasik at 10:30 A.M. Baba met with the women mandali and after lunch went with them again to the Pandu Lena Caves. (Lord Meher-p-1038-1929)

On 18th July 1929, the group drove from Bhopal to Guna. Baba set out for a walk with Kaka Shahane and other three disciples. On the road, a strange looking man, half-naked wearing only a langoti approached Baba directly and silently bowed to him. He said something to Baba, as if he were "reporting to his superior" and handed Baba a flower. Then, just as mysteriously, he walked away. 1045-1929

Reaching Delhi on 23rd July 1929, Baba set out with the mandali and boys on a sightseeing trip through Old and New Delhi, then to the Qutub Minar (all the way to the top), the Red Fort and other places of interest. Baba pointed out a mast named Hafizji Nabeena, who he revealed was the spiritual charge man of Delhi.  Baba sent Chhagan to Pandharpur with Kaka Shahane, instructing Chhagan to remain there and fast for seven days. (Lord Meher-p-1053-1929)

Kaka Shahane and other mandali men and some ashram boys proceed by bus to Nasik. Baba also took with him on the trip three boys who former ashram schoolboys who were now employed at Sarosh Motor Works in Nasik, learning to be mechanics. (Lord Meher-p-1142-1929)

On the 14th March 1930, when Baba was returning from a visit to Tapovan, where he had gone to celebrate the Hindu holiday Holi, The boys and mandali played atya-patya at Tapovan, with Kaka Shahane and Dhake as captains, but Baba had only watched. (Lord Meher-p-1154-1930)

Baba then left Nasik for Meherabad at four in the afternoon in two trucks with fifteen of the mandali. Along the way he stopped at Sangamner, where Gadekar had arranged a darshan program. After eating dinner at Gadekar's house, Baba left for Ahmednagar where he met, Kaka Shahane and two other disciples. (Lord Meher-p-1160-1930)

An argument broke out between Masaji and Kaka Shahane. It was as if their quarrelling drove away the clouds, because it did not rain until eleven that night, which allowed the work to be completed and the concrete to set. (Lord Meher-p-1173-1930)

Baba walked toward the cave with one of his disciple, they first stopped at Vishnu's hut, and Buasaheb, Baidul, Chhagan, and Ali Akbar brought Baba's personal things along. Baba then assigned Vishnu the hut on the extreme left; on the right side below the cave, nearer to Baba, he gave the hut to Buasaheb, Chhagan, and Chanji; Baidul, Raosaheb, and Ali Akbar were assigned the upper hut, above the cave. Kaka Shahane and the boys remained in the huts down below, and all were prohibited from going near the cave. (Lord Meher-p-1178-1930)

On the 29th, Baba came down the hill at 7:00 A.M. and held a meeting with the mandali. Baba visited Kaka Shahane's home in Ahmednagar for five minutes. He returned to Meherabad bringing Kaka, his son, with two teams formed with Kaka Shahane and Masaji as captains. There were 20 on each side. The game was played with much enthusiasm, and the team that Baba was on won. (Lord Meher-p-1179-1930)








On 22 December 1957, in the afternoon, a small function was held in Hasman Hall for Baba's close lovers.  It was more like a sahavas than a darshan program. Shaikh Hidayat Khan, one of Baba's favorite qawaals, had been specially called from Aurangabad. Baba arrived at the hall at about in evening and no sooner had he sat down than a woman rushed forward from the audience and placed her head on his feet. Baba remarked, "This is not the time for bowing down and garlanding

Baba asked the qawaal, "How many times have you sung before me?"

The man said this was his fourth time. Baba whimsically remarked, "This is the fourth time, and there will be a fifth — but after that, not a sixth!"

On a sign from Baba, the qawaal resumed singing this couplet:

Without fana there is no baqa (without annihilation of the mind there is no Realization).

God is unattainable unless the lower self is wiped out.

If the lover asks in the way it should be asked,

What will he not receive?

When the song was finished, Baba asked the group, "Did you follow it?" Very few were familiar with Urdu, and Baba himself answered, "Even if you understood it, so what? Intellect cannot reach the Thing to be understood!"

Praising his voice, Baba urged the qawaal, "Sing a ghazal which, even though not understood, will make all hearts flutter!"

The qawaal sang the following couplet:

Why do you question me about the world of intoxication?

I only know that You alone exist in every heart!

"It would have been better if the mind also slept!" Baba quipped, and all laughed.

The qawaal resumed singing:

You don't know when I find or lose You, or become lost in You.

I am physically asleep, but my mind remains awake in Your remembrance!

He continued: "The whole universe that you see is a dream, and at present you all are dreaming. Suppose you are sleeping and I appear in your dream and tell you: 'What you see and experience now is all a dream!' But you don't believe it. But when you are awake, you know that what I was saying was quite true. Similarly, whatever pain or pleasure you experience is in reality a dream. This qawaali singing, your hurrying here in the hot sun, and my telling you all this, is in truth only a dream. But as long as I don't open your [inner] eyes, you won't believe it."

Baba turned to the qawaal, "Enough of praise, now let's hear something about love."

When the qawaal was about to begin, Baba interrupted him and began explaining about divine intoxication: "As the seeker progresses on the spiritual path, he loses his worldly consciousness, resulting in the mast state. Here he has no consciousness of the world. He eats, drinks, clothes himself, covers his body, but has no thought of it.

"When this state becomes limitless, the person attains the state of a majzoob. Very, very few regain gross consciousness and begin to act in a worldly manner after reaching this state. To recognize a person in such a state is virtually impossible. It means losing all and gaining all."

Humorously, Baba commented: "Long, long ago I lost everything and became God, but thank God I didn't lose my sense of humor!"

The qawaal resumed with another couplet:

In my one form are contained all these innumerable forms.

Whom to take as a sinner, whom to believe in as a saint?

After the ghazal, speaking on haal, an emotional state, Baba commented, "Once my old companion and disciple Munshiji arranged a qawaali program here in Bombay. A Muslim boy named Alimuddin in a paroxysm of devotion began jumping up and down. In the course of the singing that day it happened a few times.

Addressing the qawaal, Baba urged, "Now let us hear some choice truths!"

The qawaal sang: I go on deceiving myself, living in the hope of dying!

Stopping him, Baba commented, "What a beautiful thought! In this state the lover is totally uprooted from the world. All his desires die, except one, and that is to die for the Beloved."

It was getting very hot in the hall so someone switched on the fan. Baba had it turned off and told the qawaal, "All the doors are shut. It is warm. Baba has had the fan switched off. All are sweating."

Addressing one man who was overweight, Baba teased him, "It is good for you. You are perspiring and will slim down a bit." Loud laughter followed Baba's remark.

He continued jokingly, "It is good you people feel the heat. Had it been cool here you would have said, 'Baba, now please don't stop!' Now you will leave sooner!"

The qawaal resumed:

Let my grief for You be kept safe;

What else does my heart yearn for?

This is my prayer, this is my life!

The singer continued, and intermittently Baba observed, "I am everything. I experience myself as the singer, as the instruments and everything else. This is not mere talk! This is my true experience."

Baba asked the qawaal to sing one last song. He sang:

The one hovering like a moth around the Divine Flame [the Master]

Is regarded as a fool; but only by fools!

After the music, Baba shed more light on the discourse. (Lord Meher-p-4231/2/384-1957)





(Mandali servant)



While Baba was to reach Isfahan Raosaheb informed Baba that he saw some local townspeople wearing lockets with Baba's image pinned to their coats, and they had expressed their joy at Meher Baba's presence in Isfahan. They were waiting for the opportunity to meet the Master. Baba asked the mandali, "How did they know I was here? Who gave them the lockets?"

Sayyed and one more boy (Mandali servants) who were working for the mandali as servants were questioned. Although they lied at first, they finally admitted to telling others about Meher Baba. Baba warned them, "Never tell a lie, even if you have to die because of something you have done. Wherever you may be, either in the world or with me, never lie." Baba made them promise this, and then he embraced them. (Lord Meher-p-1103-1929)




Baba would sometimes go to Ahmednagar to visit his devotees. On the 27th august 1927, He went to the cantonment area, at the invitation of Shankarnath's friends and relatives. Baba was received with thundering cheers and conducted to a special seat, from where he gave darshan to almost 600 people. Before returning to Meherabad in the evening, he graced a newly-constructed temple nearby. (Lord Meher-p-839-1927)







During 1939 and 1940 Sulloo was in contact with Baba from Nagpur.

During 1945 Sulloo went to Baba at Meherabad. Since Sulloo had been keeping silence for more than a month, he had brought with him an interpreter, Shri Ramnath Sharma, a co-worker.  (Lord Meher page 2769)





(Daughter of Bhau & Rama Kalchuri)

Sheela Kalchuri was in contact of Baba as father Bhau was  attached to Baba since 1952. He had opportunity to converse Baba many time and had full faith in Baba. Many of her episodes with Baba is written below in chronological order.

On 21st May 1957, Rama, Sheela and Mehernath Kalchuri had moved into the Family Quarters Rama's brother according to Baba's instructions, had brought them from Nagpur, and had also stayed for a few days. (Lord Meher-p-4185-1957)

Baba went to visit Rama, Mehernath and Sheela Kalchuri, in the Family Quarters. He visited family of other 3 other disciples living on the hill, as well as the mandali in lower Meherabad.  (Lord Meher-p-4218-1957)

During 1958 sahwas Rama Kalchuri came carrying Mehernath, who had a fever. Baba asked why she had brought the boy with such a high fever. She replied, "He was crying for your darshan so I had to bring him." Baba kissed the boy and also his sister Sheela, advising Rama to go home immediately, which she did. (Lord Meher-p-4332-1958)

Bhau's seven-year-old daughter Sheela Kalchuri approached the stage, she was carrying a garland. She wanted to embrace Baba and reasoned that if he allowed her to come up on to the platform to garland him he would embrace her also. Eruch motioned to her to hand him the garland, which he would place around Baba's neck, but Sheela refused. Baba instructed Eruch to pick her up and she got to garland Baba, who embraced her, thus fulfilling her wish. (Lord Meher-p-4626-1960)

Sheela used to call Bhau "Babuji." On this occasion or another, when they came, Pendu began teasing Sheela, saying, "Babuji is mine!"

Reacting upset, Sheela retorted, "No, Babuji is mine!" and she caught hold of Bhau's arm. Baba wanted to know what the commotion was about, and Pendu told him.

Baba remarked to Sheela, "Now I have come to a decision: Babuji is yours and Mehernath is mine."

"No!" Sheela protested. "I want Babuji and Baba both!"

"If you want Babuji, how could you have Baba?"

"Then I want only Baba!"

Smiling, Baba teased, "It has been decided; now don't worry!"

Baba asked Sheela "Do you love Babuji or your mother?"

Sheela replied, "Babuji!"

Baba smiled and remarked, "Now think it over and say it again." Sheela repeated that she loved her father more. Baba asked Mehernath, "And you? What do you say? Whom do you love more?"

He replied, "I love Baba!"

Bhau's family was extremely fortunate to be in Baba's contact, and it is only his compassion that kept them near him. For his own reasons, in the late 1950s and 1960s Sheela and Mehernath Kalchuri. (Lord Meher-p- 4711-1961)

Rama, Sheela and Mehernath Kalchuri were called to Meherazad periodically during this time. On one occasion, Baba asked Rama, "You are living alone with two small children. What would you do if a thief enters your house at night?" Rama answered that she would cover herself and pretend to be asleep.

As promised, on Mehernath's eighth birthday on 22nd October 1961, Baba called him, Rama and Sheela to Meherazad.  He embraced first Mehernath and then Rama and Sheela. He asked him, "What are you holding in your hands?" (Lord Meher-p-4776-1961)

Mehernath Kalchuri's tenth birthday (on the 22nd) was celebrated on 21st October 1963. Rama, Sheela and Mehernath were called to Meherazad on the 21st to be with Baba and have lunch with him. (Lord Meher-p- 5047-1963)

on the 5th with his feet. Don too was called to see Baba at Guruprasad at this time. Adi returned to Guruprasad on 9 May and gave Baba a report of the proceedings.

In May 1966, Sheela Kalchuri's ear had become septic and full of pus, and she was in severe pain. A mastoid operation was necessary and the surgery was to be performed in Poona, so Baba sent for her, Rama and Mehernath and allowed them to stay in Guruprasad. Usually, whenever they came for Baba's darshan. (Lord Meher-p-5230-1966)

12th May 1966 was Sheela's fourteenth birthday and she had hoped Baba would call them to Poona that day, but he did not. Four days later, on 16th May, they went to Poona by taxi. When they arrived, Baba asked her. "Do you know why I have called you all to Guruprasad? Today is Baby's [Sheela's nickname] birthday; she must come and embrace me first."

"No, Baba!" she protested. "My birthday was on the 12th! You forgot to send me a birthday card. You love Mehernath more than me! You always celebrate his birthday in Meherazad. For my birthday you used to send me a card, but this year you forgot even that! Now, you are only trying to make me happy by saying that today is my birthday. I don't want to embrace you!"

Baba tried to calm her. "I know when you were born. Listen, Baby, God is telling you today is your birthday. I know more than you do. Today is your real birthday."

Then Sheela realized that she was indeed talking with God, and she simmered down. She embraced Baba, who informed her that he had called for cupcakes that day in her honor. Rama had brought a cooked vegetable for the women mandali. Baba saw it and remarked, "Today, you all will have cupcakes for Baby's birthday, and I will eat this vegetable."

On the day of Sheela's operation, 18 th May 1966, before she left for the hospital, Baba called her, Rama and Mehernath to his room at 6:30 A.M. Baba embraced Sheela and asked, "Are you scared? Suppose you die in this operation? Will you be happy to come to me?"

Although her mother started to cry when she heard this, Sheela said, "Yes, I will be happy to stay with you forever. Now, I see you only once in a while, but if I come to you, it will be eternally!"

Rama said, "Your nazar should be with her, Baba."

"Only my nazar? You should be happy your daughter will be with me! Don't cry; I will be with her always. Even in the hospital, I will be with her. Do you think that this doctor can do such a complicated ear operation? It will be I who does it through him."

Later, when the sun had risen Baba's hair, Baba again called the Kalchuris to his bedroom. Mehera gave Baba two lockets, one for each child. Baba took Sheela's and then pinned it on her blouse, stating, and “Don't remove this during your operation. I will be there with you, but if you remove it, I will not come. And don't tell anyone who this is. If the doctor asks you, don't tell him.  This locket will protect and save you from harm. Always keep it with you, and you will have good health."

At the hospital, the nurses told Sheela to remove her blouse but she insisted she wear the locket during the operation, and after much argument, the staff relented. Meherjee and Nana Kher were with Sheela at the hospital, and several times during the extensive operation, Baba instructed Bhau to phone for an update about Sheela's condition. The operation was successful, and after a week Sheela returned to Guruprasad to convalesce. (Lord Meher-p-5231/2-1966)

On 4th June 1966, Rama and Mehernath were sent back to Ahmednagar, as Mehernath's school holidays were over. Sheela was kept in Guruprasad, as she had to be taken to the doctor every day to change the dressing. When her mother had been there, Sheela and Rama would eat with the women mandali, but now, Baba instructed her to eat with the men. Because of her operation, she was not able to chew anything hard, and one day the mandali's lunch consisted of such foods.

Baba sent for Goher to call Sheela to the women's side, where he gave her his own rice and dal to eat. Sheela hesitated, thinking Baba would go hungry, but he commented, "This food is not very tasty; I cannot eat it. You have it." She did and found it delicious.5234-1966

Sheela had long fingernails, and Baba asked her why she kept them. Although she had done it to be fashionable, she replied, "I need them to draw with, Baba."

Baba remarked to her, "You look like a tigress! While embracing me, your nails might pierce my cheeks, so it is better you remove them."

"But how will I be able to draw?"

"Your drawings will come out fine, don't worry!"

Sheela had no choice but to obey, and Baba then warned her, "This is my order. Never let your nails grow long again." (Lord Meher-p-5223-1966)

In April 1966, Sheela Kalchuri's ear had become septic and full of pus, and she was in severe pain. A mastoid operation was necessary and the surgery was to be performed in Poona, so Baba sent for her. (Lord Meher-p-5230-1966)

One year at Guruprasad, Baba remarked to Mehernath and Sheela that Deshmukh was expected that day, instructing, "When he comes, push him out! Don't allow him to come inside. This is my order."

Deshmukh arrived, and both children grabbed his hand and attempted to block his entry. Deshmukh waved them away, declaring, "Have I come to take your Baba away on my shoulders? Let me, too, sit here for a while." Baba signalled them to drive him away, and Sheela tried to catch his hand, but he yanked it away. Baba was gesturing them not to let Deshmukh enter, so while Sheela pulled one of his hands, Mehernath bit him on the other hand! Deshmukh hollered, and Baba was highly amused, but to the children he gestured, looking upset, "Now that Deshmukh has entered, let him go. I did not want him to come inside; but now what can we do?" (Lord Meher-p-5234-1963)

On 28th June 1966, Jim Mistry had a heart attack at Guruprasad and was taken back to Bombay by for treatment. While the others prepared to leave Poona, Sheela Kalchuri was ordered to stay behind at Bindra House with the Jessawalas, as her medical treatment was not yet finished. The night before Baba departed, he called her to his room at about 8:00 P.M. and remarked, "I want to say goodbye to you now, because if I embrace you tomorrow before the others, I will have to embrace everybody." Baba hugged the girl and sent her back to Bhau's room, but Sheela was extremely unhappy about being left behind. She cried that night and insisted to her father that she should return with them to Ahmednagar.

The following morning, Baba called her again and said, "I heard you crying last night. Don't be depressed."

But Baba, I don't know these people [the Jessawalas]!" she said.

"You know Meherwan, don't you? Don't worry. I have given them orders to keep you as I want. I am not sending you to stay with them because of your medical treatment. I want you to learn how to eat meat and fish. This is my order to you. Start eating non-vegetarian food and it will improve your health. After ten days, as soon as you come to Ahmednagar, I will call you to Meherazad to see me." (Lord Meher-p-5236/7-1966)

On 9July 1966, Sheela Kalchuri was brought back to Ahmednagar, and as promised, was called to Meherazad alone on the 11th. Baba sent instructions that Rama should cook nine eggplants and send them with Sheela.

At Guruprasad, after her operation, Baba had had a mixture of bananas, milk and figs made every day which he used to give Sheela with his own hands. He remarked it was nutritious, urging her, "Eat this, it is my prasad. It will help you to regain your strength quickly."

Sheela had tasted it, but thought it so repugnant, she felt as if she would vomit. She asked Baba if she could go out and eat it, and he permitted her. Once alone, she poured the mixture down the bathroom sink.

Every day at 4:00 P.M. in the hall, Baba would give her a bowl of the mixture and each day she would go outside, dutifully take one spoonful — as it was Baba's prasad — and dump the rest.

After a week, she asked Baba if he would give her each item separately, not mixed together, and Baba replied, "Of course you can have the bananas, figs and milk separately. You want it that way? I am happy to give you what you like. I am so happy you told me the truth."

On the 11th, Sheela arrived at Meherazad, happy and proud that her mother and brother were not accompanying her. Baba was loving as usual, and at lunchtime the table was laden with several delicious dishes. Sheela thought: "How lucky I am to be having lunch with Baba today, and so many good things to eat!"

Baba asked if she had brought the eggplants, and Sheela handed him the dish, thinking he would give her some.

Baba motioned to her to bring her plate, and she happily thought how much luckier she was as Baba was going to serve her! In front of Baba was a huge bowl of the milk-banana-fig mixture, which Baba was eating. Sheela was shocked when Baba doled out a large portion of this to her. Baba remarked to Mehera, "This is so delicious. I love this mixture, and look, Baby loves it too! Right, Baby?"

Sheela could only smile and shake her head in agreement, but although she said, "Yes, Baba," inside she was saying, "No, Baba! I do not like this at all; but I know why you are giving me this punishment!"

With every bite, Baba would comment, "See, Mehera, I like this, and Baby also likes it."

She finished the amount quickly, and Baba called her to him again. This time he dished out an even greater amount of the same concoction. Sheela was aghast! She returned to her seat and slowly began eating it, asking Meheru for a glass of water to wash the awful mixture down her throat. Previously, she had been happy that her mother was not with her; now she regretted her absence, as she could have whispered to Rama to tell Baba how much she disliked it.

Sheela somehow finished swallowing it, and Baba remarked, "Even if I give you poison, it does not matter since it is my prasad. Take it as nectar and swallow it. It is only due to great good fortune that one gets prasad from my hands." Thus Sheela, a young teenager, learned a valuable lesson and lamented for what she had unknowingly done at Guruprasad. (Lord Meher-p-5238/39-1966)

On 23rd July 1966, Baba dictated points for a letter to Richard Alpert, which Francis drafted and Adi mailed with his signature. Baba again wished Alpert to understand the futility

During July 1966, Baba would often call Rama, Sheela and Mehernath Kalchuri to Meherazad on Sundays for lunch. Adi brought them on 31st July. Sheela and Rama would eat with Baba and the women, and Mehernath with the men. Mehera was embarrassed about using both hands to eat chapatis (since most people in India do not use their left hand while eating). She asked Rama, "Do you mind if I use both hands to break my chapatti?"

Rama was wondering how to reply when Sheela spoke up, "If the flour is kneaded with two hands, what harm is there in eating the chapatti with both hands? With one hand you cannot clap — it takes two hands — so it is all right." (Lord Meher-p-5243-1968)

On 9th July 1966, Sheela Kalchuri was brought back to Ahmednagar. As promised she was called to Meherazad alone on the 11th. Baba sent instructions that Rama should cook nine eggplants and send them with Sheela.

At Guruprasad, after her operation, Baba had had a mixture of bananas, milk and figs made every day which he used to give Sheela with his own hands. He remarked it was nutritious, urging her, "Eat this, it is my prasad. It will help you to regain your strength quickly."

Sheela had tasted it, but thought it so repugnant, she felt as if she would vomit. She asked Baba if she could go out and eat it, and he permitted her. Once alone, she poured the mixture down the bathroom sink.

Every day at 4:00 P.M. in the hall, Baba would give her a bowl of the mixture and each day she would go outside, dutifully take one spoonful — as it was Baba's prasad — and dump the rest.

After a week, she asked Baba if he would give her each item separately, not mixed together, and Baba replied, "Of course you can have the bananas, figs and milk separately. You want it that way? I am happy to give you what you like. I am so happy you told me the truth."

On the 11th, Sheela arrived at Meherazad, happy and proud that her mother and brother were not accompanying her. Baba was loving as usual, and at lunchtime the table was laden with several delicious dishes. Sheela thought: "How lucky I am to be having lunch with Baba today, and so many good things to eat!"

Baba asked if she had brought the eggplants, and Sheela handed him the dish, thinking he would give her some.

Baba motioned to her to bring her plate, and she happily thought how much luckier she was as Baba was going to serve her! In front of Baba was a huge bowl of the milk-banana-fig mixture, which Baba was eating. Sheela was shocked when Baba doled out a large portion of this to her. Baba remarked to Mehera, "This is so delicious. I love this mixture, and look, Baby loves it too! Right, Baby?"

Sheela could only smile and shake her head in agreement, but although she said, "Yes, Baba," inside she was saying, "No, Baba! I do not like this at all; but I know why you are giving me this punishment!"

She finished the amount quickly, and Baba called her to him again. This time he dished out an even greater amount of the same concoction. Sheela was aghast! She returned to her seat and slowly began eating it, asking Meheru for a glass of water to wash the awful mixture down her throat. Previously, she had been happy that her mother was not with her; now she regretted her absence, as she could have whispered to Rama to tell Baba how much she disliked it.

Sheela somehow finished swallowing it, and Baba remarked, "Even if I give you poison, it does not matter since it is my prasad. Take it as nectar and swallow it. It is only due to great good fortune that one gets prasad from my hands." Thus Sheela, a young teenager, learned a valuable lesson and lamented for what she had unknowingly done at Guruprasad. 5238/9-1966

In December 1968, Sheela and Mehernath would take turns going to Meherazad for lunch on Sundays, riding with Waman Padale on his scooter. Baba called Mehernath twice in November and Sheela once. When it was Sheela's last turn in December 1968, after she had eaten with Baba and the women, Baba kissed her and motioned to her to leave. She was walking away when Baba came outside on the verandah and called her back. Embracing her, Baba remarked, "This is the last food you will have at my hands. Such an opportunity you will not have again. This is my prasad to you for your whole life. Remember it always."

Baba asked Sheela, "Does your mother feel bad when I don't call her?"

"Very bad, Baba. She claims you don't want to see her."

"Not that. You and Mehernath are young and can ride with Waman on the back of his scooter. She cannot. Tell her I am always with her. I often think of her and love her. She is really great. You don't understand now, but you will realize it when you grow up. You have a very good mother. Tell her I will send for her soon." (Lord Meher-p-5371-1968)







5th November 1927 was the important Hindu day of fasting, Kartika Ekadashi. Three days before, a boy who had been staying with Dhuniwala Baba of Saikhed for some years arrived at Meherabad. His name was Shivnarayan, and although he was only 15, he was very devout. While Baba was being bathed, Shivnarayan would dunk his head in the water overflowing from the bath. When asked why he was doing this, he replied, "I am washing away my sins in the holy water of Shri Meher Baba's bath!" Baba stopped the boy, motioning him to sit beside him so that when the water was poured over him it would fall on Shivnarayan as well.

That night, Shivnarayan insisted on sleeping near Baba. Baba allowed him to sleep beside him for an hour, after which he lay down near Baba's sandals on the floor. The next morning, Baba ordered the boy to observe silence for a period of time. (Lord Meher-p-850-1927)





Sorabji Rattanji Siganporia had come with his two sons Noshir and Hoshi. Noshir, 16, had been somewhat troubled since childhood and Sorabji wished for some divine intervention. He was in the habit of visiting different saints, and had met Babajan, Upasni Maharaj and Narayan Maharaj. While reading a book about Upasni Maharaj, he had come to know of Meher Baba. However, because of Colonel Irani's agitation against Meher Baba in the newspapers, and having heard others of the Bombay Parsi community attack Baba, Sorabji had no true feelings of reverence for Baba. But because of his son Noshir, he came to Meherabad seeking Baba's help to relieve his anxiety.

Baba first kept Noshir with him, sending Sorabji and Hoshi out. Calling them back after a few minutes, he remarked to Sorabji, "Give me Noshir; let him stay here with me." (Lord Meher-p-2357-1953)




(Son of Siganporia Sorabji)




Sorabji Rattanji Siganporia, had come with his two sons Noshir and Hoshi. Noshir, 16, had been somewhat troubled since childhood and Sorabji wished for some divine intervention. He was in the habit of visiting different saints, and had met Babajan, Upasni Maharaj and Narayan Maharaj. While reading a book about Upasni Maharaj, he had come to know of Meher Baba. However, because of Colonel Irani's agitation against Meher Baba in the newspapers, and having heard others of the Bombay Parsi community attack Baba, Sorabji had no true feelings of reverence for Baba. But because of his son Noshir, he came to Meherabad seeking Baba's help to relieve his anxiety.

Baba first kept Noshir with him, sending Sorabji and Hoshi out. Calling them back after a few minutes, he remarked to Sorabji, "Give me Noshir; let him stay here with me."

Sorabji was shocked at the idea and immediately left with his sons. He felt confirmed that whatever the Colonel had said was true. His mind revolted and he began having disparaging thoughts about Baba.

But within two to three months, his mental turmoil lessened and he repented for not surrendering Noshir to Baba. Noshir became even more abnormal. The boy would visit tombs and graveyards and spend the night there. Sorabji arranged his marriage, but the boy's mentality did not change.

Sorabji was later to come to Baba's feet again, and greatly repent for his mistake. The man who was so hostile to Baba in the beginning became a staunch worker in Meher Baba's cause and was the one who, years later, opened the first Meher Baba center in Bombay.  (Lord Meher-p-2357/8-1953)

Sorabji Siganporia from Bombay had come to the wedding with his family. He had met Baba before, but when Baba had asked for his son Noshir, who was mentally troubled, to be kept with him, Sorabji had become disconsolate and had left without having any faith in Baba.

Gradually, Noshir's condition also became somewhat more normal. Sorabji now repented for not leaving his son with Baba when the time was most opportune. (lord Meher-p-2484/5-1945)

Noshir with his father Sorabji Siganporia had interviews with Baba at Meherazad on 21st June 1958. Lords Meher-p-4437-1958)

On the morning of 28th August 1959, was Lord Krishna's birthday. Baba summoned women mandali and men into the hall in the morning. Prayer and arti were sung. After the women left, Baba issued some instructions for Noshir Siganporia, who was permitted to stay at Meherabad for six months with his family. (Lord  Meher-p-4581-1959)

On 17th September 1959, Noshir Siganporia arrived.  (Lord Meher-p-4592-1959)

On 15th December 1965, Noshir Siganporia was called to Meherazad and then again 20th. (Lord Meher-p-4618-1965)

Every morning, Noshir Siganporia carried Don and Alain to Meherabad and returned to Meherabad in the evening. (Lord Meher-p-4619-1959)

Baba wished to discuss a circular to issue. Noshir Siganporia came the same day from Meherabad for certain instructions. (Lord Meher-p-4597-1959)

Don and Alain were driven to Meherazad every morning by Noshir Siganporia, and returned to Meherabad in the evening (Lord Meher-p-4619-1959)

At one point, Baba advised Noshir to go to Bombay and live with his parents and brother, but this; too, he refused to do. Finally, on 5th September 1965, Baba instructed him to remove all his belongings from the room he was staying in at Meherazad, and to move into the nearby cottage of Ratanshah Gyara.  He was instructed to walk up Khandoba's Hill (opposite Seclusion Hill) every day, and repeat God's name for three hours every morning. Baba allowed him to come to Meherazad at noon for his lunch and at 6:30 sharp for dinner — but to leave Meherazad immediately after both meals. (Lord Meher-p-5171-1965)





On 13th May 1962, Guruprasad was filled to overflowing during a program of qawaali singing held in the evening. Many from Bombay and Poona were present, including the cricket players Polly Umrigar, Nari Contractor and his wife Dolly, and the Khilnanis. Siddiq Qawaal from Jaipur was the singer put his heart and soul into his music, making Baba very happy. (Lord Meher-p-4798-1962)





On 29th November 1959, as instructed by Baba, the Ahmednagar close lovers including Mandhare brought two busloads of lepers, the blind and maimed (100 destitute persons in all) to Meherazad at 9:00 A.M. After the customary washing of feet and bowing down, Baba gave each five rupees as prasad. (Lord Meher-p-4615-1959)

On 8th March 1962, Bhau's play Jai Meher was enacted by members of the Ahmednagar Center on the spacious stage of the Sarosh Cinema movie theatre. The men and women living in Meherabad were also invited. At 9:30 A.M., as Baba's car drove into Ahmednagar, he and the women heard loud chanting and saw several hundred Muslims bowing toward the west (toward Mecca) at the Mohammedan prayer ground next to Khushru Quarters. It was Ramzan Id (a Muslim holy day of fast). Age noted ironically, "Little did the people realize that the One to whom they were praying was at that moment driving past them!"

In the play Jai Meher, Shivaji Mandhare played a role of Dukhiram (the Suffering One) (lord Meher-p-4791-1962)

In year 1963, for inauguration of Kovvur center Baba inquired who from among his Ahmednagar lovers was proceeding to Kovvur. About six persons said they were going. Baba asked Mandhare and 10 other disciples to go to Kovvur. He stated, "I am sending Adi and Maharani Shantadevi for the opening as my representatives. So you, too, should go and participate in this love-feast." (Lord Meher-p-4920-1963)





During these evening programs at Guruprasad, Madhusudan sang bhajans, and often the scheduled one-hour sessions stretched to two hours or more.

One singer from Poona named Shankar Rao Sholapure would sometimes sing ghazals. One afternoon he sang a ghazal in Urdu that Baba liked very much. Summarizing its meaning, Baba explained: "The lover says: 'O Beloved, my moods and whims depend on your moods and whims. If you are pleased, I am pleased. If you are happy, I am happy.' "

Looking at his lovers gathered before him, Baba stated, "You take me to be your Beloved God. Now, if I ask you to vacate the hall immediately and return to your respective places, will you feel happy? Be honest in replying what you feel, not what you should feel."

Several were honest enough to answer, "No, Baba. To be frank, we would not feel happy to leave this hall."

Baba continued, "It is said: 'It is very difficult to love.' Why? Love is a gift rarely received, and only the recipient of such love can obey the Beloved quite willingly and in a natural way."

To those who had said they were not prepared to leave, Baba joked, "All right, remain seated. Your Beloved God will sit here, too, to please you!"

Continuing his explanation of the ghazal, Baba stated, "In these lines, the lover says: 'O Beloved, do not ask me anything about how I pass my life. It is steeped in restlessness. I burn in your love and every moment sets ablaze the fire of separation.' "

In the end, he remarked, "Only the one in whose heart the flame of love has been kindled as a gift of grace can experience what the state of 'burning within' is!"

The Poona bhajan group had organized a drama depicting the seven Avatars and their predominant message to mankind. The play was performed before Baba on Saturday, 27 May 1961. All the actors were the children of Center members, aged five to sixteen. In the final scene, Sohrab walked in as Baba, leaning on "Eruch's" (Rustom's) arm.(Lord Meher-p-4751-1961)




(Husband of Meheru Close disciple)



Since his childhood, Savak Damania of Akbar Press had been in Baba's contact. Savak was engaged Eruch's sister Meheru. The engagement ceremony was held at Akbar Press in Ahmednagar on June 1937. A few of the Westerners were present at the small ceremony. Baba garlanded the couple and applied kumkum to their foreheads, and they exchanged rings before him. (Lord Meherp-p-1839-1937)

Savak had a friend named Homi Pavri, who wanted to meet Meher Baba. Savak wrote to Baba at Lonavla, and Baba permitted them to come.2307-1942

They arrived in Lonavla, but Baba sent Vishnu to stop Homi near the gate and allow only Savak to come inside. Homi had brought garlands and sweets for Baba, and Baba told him through Vishnu that he should see him from a distance and then leave. Homi accepted this, saw Baba from that distance, handed Vishnu the garlands and sweets, and started to leave. Savak turned to Baba and asked, "May I see him off at the train station?"

"Is he your child?" Baba snapped. "Can he not go alone? You have come to see me and are to stay here for four days — at a time when I am not seeing anyone! — but if you want to go, go!"

"I want to stay," said Savak, "but what will my friend think of me?"

"That means you think first of your friend and not of me! If you go to the station when I want you to be here — what will think of you?"

"Forgive me, Baba; you are right."

Baba then told him, "Just remember one thing: Think only of my will and don't think of pleasing others. If you keep my will and, if in doing so, the whole world turns against you, you should learn to ignore it.

"The whole world is within me. Everything will be all right if you only think of my wish. Whatever your friend had to earn, he has earned it by seeing me briefly. There is nothing for him to think now." (Lord Meher-p-2308-1942)

On 28th May 1945, the weddings of Eruch to his cousin Khorshed Damania and of Eruch's sister, Meheru, 24, to Khorshed's brother, Savak Damania, 33, took place at Akbar Press. It was not so much a marriage as a gathering of celebration for Baba's lovers from Bombay, Poona and Ahmednagar. Baba and the Meherabad mandali went to Akbar Press to attend the weddings, and the ceremony turned into a darshan! Both marriages were done according to Baba's wish, (Lord Meher-p-2484-1945)

Baba instructed Naja and Katie to stay at Nariman and Arnavaz's apartment in Bombay. Baidul's wife Soltoon and their daughter, Dowla, were instructed to stay at Bindra House in Poona, along with Walu. Baidul's other daughter Sarwar was living in Bombay. Gulmai was to remain at Khushru Quarters with her daughters Dolly and Piroja; Meheru Damania and her husband were to continue living there, as well. (Lord Meher-p-2574-1949)

Baba and the women stopped for lunch at Bindra House in Poona with the Jessawala family. Jal Kerawalla was there also. They returned to Meherazad the same day, where Baba called Sarosh, Savak Damania. (Lord Meher-p-2709-1949)

On 1st August 1949, was a red-letter day in Meherazad. All the Meherabad mandali, as well as other Meherabad residents, including Naggu, Sushila, Sarwar, Najoo and Hilla Kotwal (who were on holiday from school), little Gorakhnath, and many from Ahmednagar were to be present at Meherazad before seven o'clock that morning. Those who were invited included Sarosh, his wife Viloo, Meherjee Mama and Homi Mama Satha, Savak Damania, Cawas and Rusi Damania, and their mother Shirin, Ramjoo, Dhake, Soonamasi, Rusi Pop, Dattu, Rustom Kaka and Silla Kaku, Adi Sr., Gulmai and daughter Piroja, Bhagirath, Pandoba, Goma Ganesh, Adi Jr. and his wife Franey. No one was to eat breakfast or take tea before arriving. All the men and women had been observing silence for one month, and they were to break it in Baba's presence when he stepped out of seclusion. Sarosh was the only one who had been exempted from being on silence because of his political involvements and work. (Lord Meher-p-2732-1949)

Arrangement alas — they were five men appointed by Baba to see primarily to the practical arrangements which had been made for those financially dependent upon Baba. However, later Baba kept issuing instructions for other work, which they carried out faithfully also. The committee consisted of Sarosh, Nariman, Meherjee, Ramjoo and Jal Kerawalla, with Savak Damania serving as an assistant. (Lord Meher-p-l2765-1949)

At Meherazad, Baba woke the women at two o'clock, and after their last-minute packing and tea, they started at 4:15 A.M. for the station, with few others had sought Baba's permission to bid him farewell, but Baba had permitted only Sarosh, Adi Jr., Savak Damania and Padri to be present. (Lord Meher-p-2783-1949)

On Friday, 19 March 1954, accompanied Baba left Mahabaleshwar and reached Ahmednagar at two that afternoon. After lunch at Viloo Villa, he went to Adi's office in Khushru Quarters, where he met Gulmai, and other close lovers such as Savak Damania, (Lord Meher-p-3527-1954)

To speed his recovery, it was recommended that Baba have mutton soup, so Meheru Damania was asked to prepare and send it from Khushru Quarters. (Lord Meher-p-3034-1952)

On 21 March 1955, Baba, with four mandali men left Satara for Khuldabad in Adi Sr.'s car, driven by Eruch. They stopped briefly at Sarosh Motor works in Ahmednagar where Baba met Adi Sr. and instructed him to continue the work of spreading his name far and wide. He asked for a bottle of orange soda, which Savak Damania managed to bring. (Lord Meher-p-3680-1955)





Sohrab Damania was the property manager of Grafton. There happened to be an interesting episode between Sohrabji and Bhau as Baba wished to expose his ego. This is described in Bhau’s words as under:.

21st March 1955, was the Irani New Year of Jamshed-e-Navroz. On this festival, it is customary to have a sweet, cool drink made with milk called falooda. When Baba came to Rosewood, he told Bhau to go back to Grafton to bring the drink for the mandali. Bhau thought some servant would be there to carry the large pot of liquid, but as soon as he arrived, two women servants lifted the pot onto his head. It was so heavy they had trouble lifting it.

Grafton was about 600 feet from Rosewood, and in between was the house of the property manager, Sohrabji Damania. Damania knew Bhau and was friendly with him. Bhau was embarrassed by doing such menial labor, and fervently hoped he would not come across Sohrabji just then. Although his neck was bent, and his shoulders ached under the weight, he was glad that today Baba was kind, in that Sohrabji was not seen on the road. But, just as he was thinking this, Sohrabji appeared from a side lane and offered his namaskar (greeting) to Bhau. Bhau felt ashamed, but Sohrabji did not linger and went on his way. Bhau began thinking that Baba had not only made him labor much, but had also made him face this awkward situation!

He arrived at Rosewood, where Pendu and Eruch lifted the burden from his head. "Was the pot heavy?" Baba asked.

Before Bhau could reply, Eruch interposed, "It is very heavy!"

Pendu observed, "One would break his back were one to carry such a load for long."

Baba asked Bhau, "Did anyone see you on the way?"

"Only Sohrabji," Bhau lamented.

Seeing the expression on Bhau's face, the men burst out laughing, and Baba asked, "Did you feel ashamed?"

"Very much so!"

"How will you obey me if you feel ashamed by being seen by others? You will act according to the ways of the world and not according to me. He who has thought for me does not care for the world! I will see to your sense of shame in Khuldabad."

Baba then ladled out a portion of the falooda into a small pot and told Bhau to take it to Sohrabji. He did so and Sohrabji asked him, "Don't you have any servants to carry such a heavy load?"

We are all servants of Baba," Bhau said. "It is our good fortune that Baba assigns us such work."

When he returned, Baba asked what Sohrabji had said, and Bhau reported it. Baba advised him, "Learn to live like a stone! People trample on it, and in the form of an idol also worship it, but is the stone affected thereby? Not in the least. Whether it is kicked, spit upon or worshiped, it remains unaffected. All of you should consciously be like the stone. You will attain the goal of life if you become like a stone." (Lord Meher-p-3679/80-1955)






After coming under the influence of Meher Baba, this once zealous Zoroastrian became so changed that seven years later he fell in love with a Brahmin girl named Silla Phadke and married out of his religion. Silla's parents were friends of the Shahanes, and she first saw Baba and heard him speak at the Shahanes' residence in Arangaon in 1925 when she was seven years old. Her family became devoted to Baba. Her father was a teacher and taught for a time at Meher Ashram. (Lord Meher-p-1586-1933)





In year 1955, followed by the sahavas group, Baba began ascending the hill, flinging pebbles to either side as he went. Shrimant G. G. Buty of Nagpur (Buty Saheb's son) was walking barefooted, because he had lost his shoes. Baba noticed this and asked about it. Seeing Baba's concern for the boy, Kumar took off his shoes and gave them to Buty, which pleased Baba. (Lord Meher-p-3891-1955)





In year 1957, after visiting Harijan and school boys at Kamala Nehru hostel, Baba proceeded to S. N. Wandrekar's garden at Kothrud. Wandrekar was a former deputy minister of the Bombay government, and he and his family received Baba warmly. Baba stepped inside the garden, where fruit, cookies and sweets had been placed on a table. Baba took his seat and all sat before him. Calling the entire Wandrekar family, Baba made them sit beside him, and again Subhadra sang bhajans and performed his arti. Finally Baba distributed prasad to all. (Lord Meher-p-4812-1957)






After the 1956 accident, Baba began inviting the Ahmednagar Center lovers to Meherazad almost every week to sing devotional songs before him. A young Muslim qawaali singer named Muhammad Sayyed Soonumyan (nicknamed Soonu) would also come to sing ghazals. Thus, due to his close contact, Baba's Ahmednagar lovers were inspired to conduct his center wholeheartedly.  (Lord Meher-p-4487-1959)




(Son of Harjiwan Lal)

In year 1959, One day, Sugandh Harjiwan Lal's son came and after greeting, Baba ordered him to return to Delhi, yet Sugandh did not leave.

Seeing him again on 13th April 1959, Baba asked him, "Why didn't you return home?"

Sugandh said, "Dr. Deshmukh asked me to stay on."

With grave displeasure, Baba scolded, "From now on, do whatever Deshmukh tells you and don't do as I say!"

Baba reprimanded Deshmukh for interfering with his orders, but then embraced him and forgave him. (Lord Meher-p-4517/8-1959)




Sulloo Meshram, one of Baba’s dear lovers and the author of the song collection Meher Prakash Bhajanwali.

He was one of the pioneers of Baba activities at Jabalpur. He heard of Meher Baba for the first time through Newspapers in 1937 and later he met Eruch’s father at Nagpur. At his request, Eruch wrote to Baba that Sulloo would like to meet Him. Meher Baba called Sulloo to Panchgani in the month of April 1938. Jal Bhai (Meher Baba’s brother) came to receive Sulloo at Panchgani.

In 1938, a year after Baba’s darshan program in Nagpur, while Sulloo was still in his early teens, he took to visiting the Jessawalas, and there he learned more about Baba. Procuring Baba’s address, he wrote Him a letter in which he expressed his desire to see Him in person. Baba, in response to Sulloo’s longing, lovingly granted this request. And so, in the first week of April 1938, overjoyed at receiving Baba’s invitation, this young boy of fourteen left Nagpur by train on a 700-mile journey to Panchgani (not far from Poona) where Baba was then residing. Some of the money for the trip had been provided by his school principal, who was interested in spirituality. At Kalyan, which is a junction, Sulloo had to change trains. But upon leaving the compartment he found to his dismay that his suitcase, containing clothes, some Baba photos, and all his money, had been stolen. He was literally penniless. Only two baskets of oranges, which the Jessawalas had entrusted to him to give to Baba, remained. What a predicament for a young boy venturing alone on such a long trip! Although he had lost even his ticket, somehow he managed to get onto another train, wondering all the while why such misfortunes should befall him when the journey he was engaged in was to meet the All-Compassionate One. Yet it is not uncommon for people to lose something tangible when they are travelling to meet the Avatar. Perhaps these tangible losses are an indication that one should be willing to part also with the intangible thoughts and feelings that stand in the way of seeing the God-Man as He ought to be seen.

When he arrived in Poona, Sulloo had no idea how he would travel on to Panchgani with no ticket and no money. But as luck would have it, he met a bus driver bound for Panchgani and told him of the theft of his suitcase. The driver not only believed his story, but as it turned out, had formerly been one of the servants who years earlier had carried water to Baba’s bungalow, and so had a special feeling for Him. This driver happily agreed to give Sulloo a free ride to Panchgani. Once again, Baba’s unseen guiding hand had silently taken care of the details of a lover’s journey to Him.

When he got off the bus in Panchgani, to the boy’s complete surprise, a stranger approached him and asked if he was Sulloo Meshram. This stranger turned out to be Baba’s brother Jal, who by Baba’s order had been waiting to receive him. As it happened, Papa Jessawala had sent a telegram from Nagpur to Panchgani, informing Baba about Meshram’s departure. Jal took Sulloo to the mandali’s residence. A short while later, Baba arrived and took His seat, His long hair flowing and a radiance glowing on His face.

Sulloo’s heart leapt within him, and he rushed to Baba, prostrating himself at His feet. Baba lovingly inquired about his journey, and He beamed a smile as He heard about the theft of the suitcase. For He had committed a far greater theft — He had stolen this young boy’s heart! In his enthusiasm Sulloo exclaimed that he wished to offer his life to Baba and to obey Him implicitly. Baba did not respond at that moment but asked him to go with Vishnu, one of the mandali, to rest in a nearby lodge.

Sulloo stayed on in Panchgani for three days. On the second day, while he was having a bath, another of Baba’s disciples, Gustadji, came into the room. Because he was observing silence, Gustadji conveyed through signs that Baba had summoned Sulloo to come to Him immediately. Sulloo had heard that whenever called, one was expected to go without delay. Although he had just started his bath and was wearing only his underwear, he left immediately without taking time to dress further.

He found Baba sitting with a few of His disciples. Half-naked, Sulloo stood before Him. Baba asked, “Have you slept well? Did you have any special thoughts?”

Sulloo replied, “Baba, I spent several hours singing songs in Your praise.”

Baba looked happy and gestured, “Fit for the spiritual path.” As Sulloo had obeyed Baba immediately without question, Baba gave him some guidelines to follow. They were: he should never tell a lie to anyone; he should abstain from lustful actions, smoking, and alcohol; and he should not eat meat, fish, or eggs. Further, Baba instructed Sulloo to meditate for an hour every day and to write “Om Parabrahma Baba” for another hour daily.

On the last day of Sulloo’s visit, Baba ordered Vishnu to make arrangements for his return to Nagpur. Sulloo was taken by car to Poona on the first leg of this trip; and from there a train ticket to Nagpur was bought for him. In short, Baba paid for his entire return fare. What a royal send-off from the King to one of His teenage lovers! He had come to Baba penniless but was leaving with the coffers of his heart filled with real spiritual treasure. He arrived safely in Nagpur, where he gave a full account of his stay with Baba to the Jessawala family.

After this initial meeting, a rapport was established between Sulloo and Baba which continued to grow through the years. Baba sowed the seed of love divine in Sulloo’s heart, and in time this seed began to germinate and flourish as naturally and spontaneously as a bud opening its brightly colored petals to the sunlight. In early 1954 he was inspired to compose songs about Baba in both Hindi and Marathi. Compiled in Meher Prakash Bhajanwali, these songs were the fragrant flowering of Sulloo’s love for the eternal Beloved.

Next morning when he was taking his bath Baba called him through Gustadji, who was also observing Silence as per Baba’s orders. Gustad ji however gestured to Sulloo that Baba wanted him immediately. Sulloo rushed to Baba in whatever state he was while taking his bath. In the presence of all Sulloo appeared before Baba, drenched with water from head to foot and wearing just his underwear. Baba asked him what thoughts were passing in your mind and Sulloo replied that I was taking my bath and I was naked when you called me and I was thinking of immediately rushing to you in the naked state. Baba on hearing this from Sulloo immediately replied through the alphabet board, “FIT FOR THE PATH”. Baba sent Sulloo back to Nagpur after a visit of two days duration, telling him to keep writing to Him regularly.

During 1939 and 1940 Sulloo was in contact with Baba from Nagpur and later in the year 1941 he came to Jabalpur to join the Gun Carriage Factory at Jabalpur. Meher Baba called Sulloo in November 1944 to Nagpur where a darshan program was arranged at Dhantoli by Dr.C.D.Deshmukh. The Chief Justice Mr. M.B. Niyogi was also present at the Darshan program as was the famous Saint of Maharashtra Sant Tukdoji Maharaj, who came for Baba’s darshan along with his followers. Baba embraced Tukdoji Maharaj on the stage. Tukdoji Maharaj sang bhajans before Baba one of which meant” Is there any time left now to work for the Avatar” Avatarache kaam karaya walech ajuni urla ka.

Much later Tukdoji Maharaj also came to Jabalpur for a short stay and was hosted by Dr. Sarde in Napier Town. Sulloo met Maharaj at Jabalpur. Baba once instructed Sulloo to observe silence on every Sunday and also not to touch money. During 1945 Sulloo went to Baba at Meherabad. Since Sulloo had been keeping silence for more than a month, he had brought with him an interpreter, Shri Ramnath Sharma, a co-worker. Baba asked Sulloo to break his silence or Baba would send him to Himalayas. Baba asked Sulloo, “If I send money to your mother every month, will you stay with me?”

Sulloo explained to Baba that he was very eager and restless for self realization; he asked if Baba would give it to him in a fixed time. To this Baba replied that a baby cannot be born before nine months and there is a fixed time for everything, but Baba promised himself realization during this very life. Baba said, “You will do wonders.” Later during the conversation Baba added, “I am one with God and you have surrendered to me; how can I keep you in Maya?” With respect to his friend and interpreter Shri Ramnath Sharma, Baba explained that Sulloo and Sharma were linked through connections from a past life.

Sulloo went to see Baba in the year 1945 at Hyderabad for the Jubilee Hills darshan program. In February 1953, Beloved Baba’s darshan took place at Nagpur. During the last day of the darshan programme, Sulloo went to Nagpur to Barrister Verma’s residence with his son Vijay who was one year and ten months old. Baba touched Vijay and showered His love on Vijay. Vijay’s mother and others bowed down to Baba. Ramjoo Abdulla interpreted Baba’s gestures, telling them that Baba says He delayed His stay at Nagpur for Sulloo to attend the darshan program.

Baba compared him with Sudama, a friend of Lord Krishna

On March 11th 1938, a letter from Sulloo Meshram of Nagpur was received and read out. Baba was in a good mood and remarked, “Such devotees and lovers should be worshipped”. Baba then joined His own hands together and closed His eyes as if praying — something the mandali had never seen Him do before. He had the letter read out again and observed:

“Sulloo is greater than me in the sense that he loves me with such deep devotion. He has seen me only once in Panchgani in 1938, and since then been kept far away. Lovers in that respect are truly great.

“Why did Krishna wash the Sudama’s feet and drink the water? Because of Sudama’s Love. He washed not the feet but the love of Sudama, and drank its water.

“God always is, was and ever will be. But the existence of God’s great and true lovers -like Sudama of Krishna, Sulloo and others now – reflects God’s true greatness. The greatness of their lovers is such that it creates faith in a Master, whom the poor, ignorant lover does not know at all. But because of firm faith, the follower is ready to give up his very life for the Master. Isn’t that greater than God?

“God is always greater in His infinity. But if lovers, in spite of their finiteness, rise to give up all, sacrifice their very lives just for love and faith in their Beloved, whose true being they do not at all know, it is indeed greater. That is why God, even in spite of His infinity, bows to the greatness in recognition of the spirit of selflessness that He beholds in the love and faith of His true lovers.” (Lord Meher page 2769)

During the 1954, Sahavas with Baba in Meherabad a photograph of Baba with Sulloo Meshram, Murli Kale, Raja Sagar Kher, Y. L. Muniraj, and Subedar was taken. Click to see the Photograph. It was a one week stay and much information is available about this programme. The Jabalpur group requested Baba to come to Jabalpur to give public Darshan. Baba replied that He might not give public darshan, and would prefer going to the houses of the families devoted to Baba. Later many preparations were made by Jabalpur Baba lovers anticipating Baba’s visit and even the General Manager of the Gun Carriage Factory had been requested to provide for a bungalow for Baba’s stay. This was discussed with Baba but in 1957 Baba said that He would come one day for just one hour and later said that He would come only after 700 years.

Raja Sagar Kher pressed Baba hard for a darshan program at Jabalpur in 1957. Baba first responded that if Jabalpur will remain He would come. Afterwards, He explained that Jabalpur had been due to be submerged in water, but that He had postponed this tragedy for 40 years.

Exactly 40 years later, Jabalpur was hit by massive earthquake — on 22nd May 1997. There was a risk that the earthquake would rupture Bargi Dam and Hydroelectric Project. If this had happened, scientists calculated that Jabalpur would have been submerged under an eight-meter deep layer of water, but happily the dam held. All Baba lovers now confidently expect that Baba will keep His promise to come to Jabalpur after 700 years.

Baba often remembered Sulloo and wrote long letters and sent Telegrams to him. Once Baba sent Sulloo a single telegram consisting of two full pages. Even the postal department officials were surprised at such an unusual communication. Sulloo gave the telegram to Francis Brabazon and it was incorporated into his book entitled “Tears of Joy”

In 1959, Sulloo went for Baba’s darshan after the death of his second son and later in 1962 attended the East-West Gathering. During this Gathering the war between India and China was going on and one correspondent of the Press asked Baba which country would win the war. Baba replied through another question to the correspondent. Baba simply asked the correspondent to observe which of the two countries Baba had chosen to be His country. The answer was latent in the question.

Sulloo came for darshan again in 1963, and finally attended The Last Darshan in 1969 after Beloved Baba had dropped His body. Sulloo wrote several songs in praise of Meher Baba which were sung in Baba’s presence and from time to time wrote and published several small booklets containing his songs and describing his experiences. Sulloo joined Baba on 31st December 1999, much after his retirement from the Service at Jabalpur. Sulloo lived an isolated life and often confined himself in his room in deep meditation. Those who met him found him always deeply engrossed in Baba and felt that he was hardly aware of the surroundings. Sulloo spent most of his time in his attic room in meditation and in singing the songs of his Beloved; He will be always remembered by all for his simplicity and remarkable obedience.

Compiled by Trust Meher, based on Lord Meher, personal interview with Sulloo Meshram and other resources.






Sunman’s father was a watchman for Adi K. Irani at Kushru Quarters, and she would accompany him to his work as a young girl.  At that time Gulmai, Adi Sr.’s mother, noticed her.

Sunman Thombe had worked at Kushru Quarters / Meher Nazar Trust office from the time she was about 14 years old.  She worked as house maid for Adi K. Irani, his mother, Gulmai, and Adi’s sister Dolly.  Sunman came to the attention of Gulmai when she was a young girl accompanying her father to work, who was a watchman at Kushru Quarters.


Sunman was married at the age of 14, but was divorced three months later. After a brief marriage she came to live at Kushru Quarters, with her sister, Laxmi. Under Gulmai’s guidance, Sunman began cook for Adi Sr. and his family.   She was trained by Gulmai herself. Once in a while she had the opportunity to prepare food for Meher Baba and the mandali at Meherazad.  However, once the word got out that she was the one preparing such delicious food, some of the mandali requested her to send food more often!


She first met Meher Baba in the early 1950s, when she was about 10 years old and a bit shy and after that, she would meet Baba when he came to Adi Sr.’s home.  She would come to receive His prasad of sweets, but would go away quickly.  However, she said that when she saw His face, it was like the most beautiful sun shining.  As her family lived close to Kushru Quarters, whenever word came that Baba was about to arrive, her father would run home and tell all the family to come quickly for Baba’s darshan.  They would all wash and dress up very fast in order to be ready when Meher Baba arrived.  Baba captured the hearts of her whole family and Sunman is very happy to have been able to spend her whole life serving Him.

(Email to dated-25-6-2015)



In year 1964, Baba went to Yerveda Jail to see Randelia Beli Pheroz a prisoner who was convicted for murder of his brother and surrendered to police on behest of Meher Baba.

Baba was met first by the prison officials, who received him with utmost respect and reverence. A reception was arranged, and the superintendent of the prison was highly gratified at having Baba's darshan. (Lord   Meher-p-3645-1954)




On 27th December 1937, a large public darshan was held in the evening at the Jessawalas' bungalow. The head swami of the Ramakrishna Ashram, Bhaskareshwar Ananda in Nagpur attended the darshan. Swami Bhaskareshwar Ananda had come full of questions, but, being in Meher Baba's presence, he completely forgot what he had wanted to ask. He quietly sat by Baba, and tears began flowing from his eyes. He internally received the answers to his questions and his heart became full with divine love. Before leaving he remarked, "I have had Ramakrishna's darshan today!"  (Lord Meher-p-1895-1937)





Without warning, on 10 September 1941, Swami Bhabananda committed suicide in Mahabaleshwar. For a few days, the police did not connect him with the rest of Baba's men staying there. Gustadji and Pleader were nevertheless reluctant to continue staying so close to the scene of the death, and so Baba called them to Panchgani on 19th September.

Bhabananda had joined Meher Baba in Bangalore and had been staying in Meherabad. The men mandali later learned that, before meeting Baba, he had murdered a man and hence, presumably, his guilt led him to hang himself. After hearing of Bhabananda's suicide, Baba commented, "He will immediately take another birth and advance spiritually."